Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you wear Slips and/or Petticoats

(90 Posts)
Kelsey1964 Tue 25-Oct-22 08:26:54

I often wear a full slip or waist slip and camisole, especially during the winter months as they provide another layer to keep me warm and make my clothes hang better, I always wear them with thinner slightly see through skirts and dresses.
What is your opinion, do you consider them old-fashioned? do you wear slips or would you consider them? are they a sexy addition to your lingerie or just to be used as nightwear?
I would love to hear your opinions

paddyann54 Tue 25-Oct-22 08:38:07

I wear slips under dresses ,summer and winter simply because they make a dress hang well I've never thought they were sexy .

M0nica Tue 25-Oct-22 08:40:25

I suspect that the next but one posting on this thread will be one with the spam/advertising link. Or possibly the OP iswanting to get old ladies talking about underwear. If I am wrong I apologise.

All I can say is that I havent worn a petticoat, full length ot waist length in at least 40 years, and I have no intention of doing so in the foreseeable future

annsixty Tue 25-Oct-22 08:43:41

As I seldom wear anything but trousers the answer is no.

MawtheMerrier Tue 25-Oct-22 08:47:42

@ M0nica - grin - we shall see!

Kim19 Tue 25-Oct-22 08:49:02

I have one waist slip 'just in case'.

Shinamae Tue 25-Oct-22 08:49:27

annsixty

As I seldom wear anything but trousers the answer is no.

This ?

Lexisgranny Tue 25-Oct-22 08:50:17

I have two waist-slips, one knee length, one longer, carefully folded in the bottom of one of my underwear drawers. They have been there for years, I really can’t remember the last time that I wore them. However I am probably not typical as I rarely wear anything but trousers or jeans, the odd dress and skirt that I do have, being lined. I don’t possess a camisole, but do wear thermal vests in the winter.

MerylStreep Tue 25-Oct-22 08:55:37

MOnica
I was ok until we got to the sexy addition

tanith Tue 25-Oct-22 08:58:36

Not worn one for many years I do have a full length one in a drawer somewhere that I wore under a suit for a wedding I only keep it as it cost me a lot at the time. I can’t see me ever wearing one again.

Witzend Tue 25-Oct-22 08:59:09

I very rarely wear anything but trousers/jeans/leggings, so no.
Two long, loose cotton dresses I bought for very hot weather came with underslips, since they’re a bit see-through otherwise, but I’ve never worn them - they’d have defeated the keeping-cool object.

Kelsey1964 Tue 25-Oct-22 09:00:53

M0nica

I suspect that the next but one posting on this thread will be one with the spam/advertising link. Or possibly the OP iswanting to get old ladies talking about underwear. If I am wrong I apologise.

All I can say is that I havent worn a petticoat, full length ot waist length in at least 40 years, and I have no intention of doing so in the foreseeable future

I can honestly say it is not my intention to get old ladies "talking about underwear" and as for spam/advertising, I don't think I am in control of that
Apology accepted M0nica smile
I'm just curious as slips seem to be a thing of the past

Granmarderby10 Tue 25-Oct-22 09:09:39

I don’t wear them, and only ever wore them (40 odd years ago now) because (a) skirts and dresses were so often unlined and (b) I wore the dreaded tights more then (never now though as far too high maintenance) because they would cling unlovingly and definitely not sexily.
Glad to see the back of them. Long live leggings!
Just wish they’d come in more colours than black/navy……are you listening M&S, TU, PRIMARK, ?

Farzanah Tue 25-Oct-22 09:12:36

What!! Do they still sell ‘em?

Granmarderby10 Tue 25-Oct-22 09:18:54

Kelsey1964 they are also an additional expense to women and an additional item to launder.
If they just sold more lined garments it would be good but my personal wish list is POCKETS. Sick of those fake ones on trousers. Even baby/toddler clothing has pockets but not women; it seems we are not worthy?

Kalu Tue 25-Oct-22 09:21:58

I wear full length virgin white under sweater dresses but they have to be anti-static otherwise they cling rather than making the dress hang well. Never thought of them as a sexy garment, just a necessary addition of winter layers.

Coops74 Tue 25-Oct-22 09:22:23

Hi you can buy coloured leggings from Amazon or EBay.

lixy Tue 25-Oct-22 09:29:35

Just one cotton one to wear under a knitted dress - couldn't wear it otherwise as it would make my now sensitive skin itch too much.

Granmarderby10 - totally with you on the need for decent pockets!

shysal Tue 25-Oct-22 09:32:15

I never wear skirts or dresses, so no!

Farzanah Tue 25-Oct-22 09:37:26

I wouldn’t buy from Amazon if it was the last market place left, which it probably will be given time.

DanniRae Tue 25-Oct-22 09:44:15

I kept two half slips for years 'just in case' but when I eventually had a look at them they were size 14 and I had gone up to a size 18 by then! shockblush

Granny23 Tue 25-Oct-22 09:46:22

I have 3 posh frocks. One is lined, the other two have their own slips. They are only worn on very special occasions.

Mollygo Tue 25-Oct-22 09:51:31

No slips, but camisole tops do the same for shirts and tops as slips do for dresses, so I have quite a few. Some have lacy necklines-useful under v-neck T-shirts.

FarNorth Tue 25-Oct-22 09:52:50

are they a sexy addition to your lingerie or just to be used as nightwear?

What on earth are you talking about?

Yes, I use a petticoat/slip/underskirt on the rare occasions I wear a skirt or dress as it does give a better line to the clothes.

Redhead56 Tue 25-Oct-22 09:54:13

Waist slips for skirts full slips for dresses especially knitted dresses I wear in winter. They give a more stream line appearance especially around the waistline.