Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

So now we move onto Glasses (not drinking glasses , wearing glasses)

(56 Posts)
bikergran Sat 15-Oct-22 11:09:23

The blue Jumper was a wash out.

So onto new glasses wear them all the time, I feel naked without them.

But! I must admit I have the same style for goodness knows how many years, I am due eye test long overdue.

I tend to go for the metal frames sort of goldie with a nice side to them, nothing expensive.

So along with the (blue jumper) I feel I need a diff style of glasses.

I look around and see some lovely styles especialy the Cat Eye styles, they look great on others.
I went on specavers site, as you can take a photo and vurtualy try on the glasses. hmm

Yet agan! they looked awful on me, I tried every pair shown, but they seem to look heavy on my face, but I suppose its getting used to a diff style and look.
I am sick of my boring look and really want a change.

Made me really think when I got on the bus this week, I thought I had been cloned (or all the others had been cloned from me)! I took notice all round and would say 90% of the ladies were around 60/70 ish range. All had short grey hair various styles, 80% had glasses on, we all seem to look the same.Not that theres anything wrong with that but I felt really old when I go off the bus (with my bus pass\) lol.

Have you taken a stride in a different direction, Glasses etc, did you get used to your new style, it's a costly mistake if you choose the wrong glasses as like clothes you can't really return them.I usulay take my dd with me and she gives me honest opinion, Im also in and out of the optitions like a ferret choosing them as I won',t be rushed by the staff, I like to take my time.

bikergran Sat 15-Oct-22 11:10:47

usually !

Kim19 Sat 15-Oct-22 12:30:21

I went for frameless from Asda £100. Delighted. Cheapest I've ever bought by far and such an amazing range of styles and colours.

MerylStreep Sat 15-Oct-22 12:38:23

When i go to get new glasses I always have my hair done and full slap. It makes all the difference.
I would like much larger glasses but I’m restricted with my prescription.

MayBee70 Sat 15-Oct-22 12:39:16

I made a bad mistake with my latest glasses. This is a mistake I always make. I have my eye test and realise I need new glasses. I then have to choose new frames but am under pressure time wise to do so. What I should have done is gone to the opticians prior to my test to choose new frames without being rushed.

Blossoming Sat 15-Oct-22 12:44:46

I’m visually impaired, right eye worse than left, and my prescription lenses are never cheap. I used to be restricted on frame choice because of this, but modern technology means thinner, lighter lenses and frames are now an option. My vision has got worse over the last few years, I’ve just had my annual eye exam. I have been wearing the same glasses for about 5 years. I was a software developer and spent most of my time looking at a screen at eye level. I’m retired now and am more likely to be looking at an iPad on my knee. So for this and other reasons I’m struggling and I need new glasses.

I’ve ordered new lenses in a thin purple titanium wire frame, they look gorgeous but they’re a terrifying price! The eye exam is on the NHS, the rest is on me. My choice, there are cheaper options but these are more comfortable and stylish.

Kate1949 Sat 15-Oct-22 12:48:44

My last pair were from Select Specs online. £25 inc. postage. They're great. DH and me both buy reading glasses from the Pound Shop. Perfect.

Blossoming Sat 15-Oct-22 12:51:25

Not an option for me unfortunately Kate1949

Kate1949 Sat 15-Oct-22 12:59:07

No not for everyone Blossoming. I don't pay much because I only wear them in the house. I wear contact lenses when I do out.

Kate1949 Sat 15-Oct-22 12:59:38

go

SueDonim Sat 15-Oct-22 13:05:22

I dunno, Bikergran sometimes a particular style just suits a particular shape of face/colouring etc. I’ve tried branching out away from my usual smallish, ‘square-oval’ darker colour or tortoiseshell frames but none of them suit me as well as those do.

I currently have some big square thin-rimmed black glasses with varifocal lenses for wearing outdoors. They do the job but they look pretty grim. ? I prefer my square-oval reading glasses.

Jaxjacky Sat 15-Oct-22 14:10:30

Just bought 2 new pairs at Asda, one grey metal, thin frame, one tortoiseshell with light turquoise inside, varifocals, photochromic, thinned lenses, £220 for the two. Both pairs are rounder than the current burgundy glasses for over two years.

MrsKen33 Sat 15-Oct-22 14:22:48

I am quite short sighted so it isn’t the frames that cost the most but the specially ground lenses. The pair I wear mostly are squarish, dark grey frames. D D has a pair of round ones but I don’t think that would suit me. My greatest difficulty is seeing what I look like with them on, so I am quite cautious. Due new ones soon, anything between £500 and £800. A lot just to see straight ??

Luckygirl3 Sat 15-Oct-22 14:33:41

Having latest eye test tomorrow. I tend to choose the same over and over because my prescription is complicated and costs an arm and a leg - and if I have metal frames they have to be titanium because I am allergic to nickel.

I would love to have a change, but it is far too costly for experimenting - and I can't see what they look like in the shop as I am mega-short sighted.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 15-Oct-22 14:42:44

Well I went and bought a pair that %0p shaped with a light green/blue mixed colour. As I am so light sensitive I also had them with magnetic held shades that fix on them and I love them and feel good in them. Also growing my curly white hair long, down to my shoulders now, just to get away from the granny look.

Luckygirl3 Sat 15-Oct-22 15:01:15

I do agree with OP about the uniform look of female pensioners that seems to be expected of us - how very depressing. Hence my shoulder length care - which happens to be dark brown! - undyed.

Callistemon21 Sat 15-Oct-22 15:12:32

The latest pair I chose (after much deliberation) were the lightest, metal frames as I really dislike wearing them.

However, they have proved to be most uncomfortable, should have taken them back but events prevented that. They were expensive too.
(They're boring anyway)

I did have new lenses fitted into an old, trendier pair of frames so I wear those all the time.

No, I don't have short, grey hair ?

bikergran Sat 15-Oct-22 15:22:21

Yes maybe I should take a look at the Asda frames, seeing as though I work there I would also have a discount,means traveling out of town as my local Asda doesn't have an optitions. But onwards and upwards to the new me lol thanks all. smile

Casdon Sat 15-Oct-22 15:23:41

I sympathise Callistemon21. My last pair were RayBans, with a heavy squarish frame, they look really cool - but I can’t wear them at all, the nose bridge is low which means I get a big red mark on the bridge of my nose, and because the frames are heavy they don’t have the adjustable nose pieces, and can’t be adjusted enough to make them comfortable, which is really annoying. Instead I am wearing my boring previous pair. Must get some new ones now.

Callistemon21 Sat 15-Oct-22 15:36:34

I went to an independent opticians after a couple of recommendations but I shan't be going back.
An expensive mistake.

Chestnut Sat 15-Oct-22 15:42:30

Luckygirl3

I do agree with OP about the uniform look of female pensioners that seems to be expected of us - how very depressing. Hence my shoulder length care - which happens to be dark brown! - undyed.

Have you looked around? Each age group is like that. Men 50-70 years nearly all look the same. Young men all wear the same trousers, hoodies etc. unless they're fashion conscious and like dressing up. Young women have slug eyebrows, fat lips and leggings. Obviously not everyone, but most age groups look pretty much the same really.

shysal Sat 15-Oct-22 15:49:30

Bikergran, Specsavers give a guarantee that if you don't like your glasses for any reason they will replace them free of charge.
After my last prescription change I chose two similar shaped frames, but hurried the choice as it was during the pandemic and I knew a member of staff would have to clean every pair I handled. When I wore them, I realized that they were too heavy and large for me. There was absolutely no quibble when I took them back and went for the usual shape, much as the ones you describe.
I am always aware of the 'cloned' look, when going for my flu jab, so I wear my hair slightly longer and like to wear colour. I refuse to belong to the beige brigade!

RichmondPark1 Sat 15-Oct-22 16:00:24

I have very poor sight and after a lifetime of having to choose glasses without being able to see a thing, taking an iPad along has transformed the experience. I can try on lots of styles, take a photo and then put my old glasses back on and have a good look at how the various styles suit me.

The Boots optician in the high street of my local town was so helpful, had a good selection of specs and even had their own iPad and helpful member of staff who gave me lots of help and advice.

rafichagran Sat 15-Oct-22 16:26:34

I have a high prescription and have to have them thinned down. I have Zeiss lenses and Linberg frames, (other frames and makes availble)they are terrifyingly expensive, but I still work and I dont only need them to look good but I also need them to be comfortable, and they are.

Lucca Sat 15-Oct-22 16:35:34

I always have coloured frames, usually bright blue. My spare non prescription reading specs I buy online are red or
Turquoise or navy
I wear bright colours
My hair is white and post chemo Annie Lennox short !
Refuse to be a clone. ! Don’t own a mountain warehouse anorak.