Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Has anybody tried taking collagen?

(9 Posts)
aquagran Fri 14-Oct-22 09:35:46

A friend of mine has been taking collagen for the last two weeks and says her hair and nails have improved and she also feels as if she has more energy. Do you think collagen works and has these effects or is it just psychological? If it works I can’t wait to get some. Has anybody else tried it, if so did you get such good results?

25Avalon Fri 14-Oct-22 10:13:15

I had it for the dog when she got older on the recommendation of the holistic vet, who also took it herself. Good for connective tissues I believe. If you do get it make sure it’s from grass fed animals and the cheapest is a giant tub you can buy on Amazon.

Namsnanny Fri 14-Oct-22 10:17:26

Can I be your 'pet' 25Avelon??

Watching with interest.

Sparklefizz Fri 14-Oct-22 10:58:57

I take Nature's Cure Collagen Hydrolysate Powder in a drink. It's probably the one that 25Avalon recommends. It's tasteless and much cheaper than the capsules. I started taking it because of hair loss and initially it really helped, but since then major stresses have wrecked my hair.

However, my nails are strong as iron whereas before Collagen they were flaky and brittle, and they grow so quickly that it's almost annoying to have to keep filing them down. My skin is also good. The back pain and joint pain I used to have seem to have eased off too, so I don't know if that's because of the Collagen.

J52 Fri 14-Oct-22 10:59:10

I started taking it a year or so ago, when my hair was visibly thinning. There’s certainly been a great improvement in my hair and nails.
Although, I would say it takes about 3 months for the improvement to begin to be noticed.
I researched thoroughly and there seems to be no side effects.

25Avalon Fri 14-Oct-22 15:42:33

It’s called Great Lakes collagen hydrolysate and comes in powdered form in a large tub. My holistic vet advised this was the cheapest way to buy it. She said to take a couple of spoonfuls sprinkled in a drink or over food for me or the dog! The dog is sadly no longer with us but I hope it helped her leg problem.

aquagran Fri 14-Oct-22 15:57:37

Thank you, will give it a try?

halfpint1 Fri 14-Oct-22 17:15:59

I take it. Hair and nails good

Elegran Fri 14-Oct-22 17:33:11

I have been taking Vitamin E capsules in gelatin (for the lifetime of one container of 90 of them - I vary which vitamins I buy from one batch to the next) My nails are stronger than they have ever been. They used to crack and split very easily, but haven't done so for weeks now. I hope the vitamin E is being equally effective.