Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Poncho's do you wear one, I think I may purchase one and see

(38 Posts)
bikergran Wed 12-Oct-22 16:08:52

I have seen few nice Ponchos around on my travels (cannnot remember where now) hmm

But they do look handy to throw on.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Oct-22 16:16:46

I have had a grey cashmere one from The White Company for over six years, I love it it’s ideal for spring/autumn instead of a jacket.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 12-Oct-22 16:21:18

Not in a million years would I wear a poncho or a cape. I know it's very much looking on the dark side, but you can be attacked and held down by a big wide garment like that and a little person like me needs all the help I can get in such a situation.

BridgetPark Wed 12-Oct-22 16:21:20

My dear friend, who is a great knitter, knitted one for each of my granddaughters, and they loved them. Then she knitted me one, and it is so lovely and warm, I throw it on in the evening, or slightly cooler afternoons, and its great, as your hands are still free to do crosswords or typing, whilst keeping nice and toasty. She is now knitting some for extended family, they have really caught on. Can be very colourful as well

bikergran Wed 12-Oct-22 16:22:13

Sounds lovely GrannyG .I might have seen them on Skipton Market .

Grannynannywanny Wed 12-Oct-22 16:25:14

I recently took a photo of this lovely poncho to send to my Irish cousin and give her a trip down memory lane. We each had one very similar to this when we were teenagers and thought we were the bee’s knees wearing them. I wish I still had it for wearing indoors.

Kamiso Wed 12-Oct-22 16:30:24

I have a poncho type garment bought years ago. I usually wear it on chilly evenings and put a woollen blanket over my knees.

My girls had crocheted ponchos last time they were in fashion.

tanith Wed 12-Oct-22 17:13:48

I have one, I do still use it in an evening if it’s a bit chilly. I knitted one of my GDs when she was 5 she loved it.

bikergran Wed 12-Oct-22 17:34:52

Granny I love the collar and button details on the poncho, lovely.

MiniMoon Wed 12-Oct-22 17:43:36

I crocheted a poncho with some left over yarn a couple of years ago. It's proved to be very useful to throw on as an extra layer.

muse Wed 12-Oct-22 17:53:33

I have three - all plain colours. Two are fairly lightweight ones for spring or autumn days when slightly chilly. One of these is crocheted. Very much the fashion at the moment my 17 yr old DGD1 tells me Kamiso. I was watching her crochet a top for her mum the other weekend.

The other has a huge polo neck and in a cable pattern. A little like that one Grannynannywanny. Love the button detail.

Philippa111 Wed 12-Oct-22 18:03:06

GrannyGravy13. Very impressed that you have managed to keep moths away from your cashmere for 6 years!!

I have just bought a silk cashmere mix fine poncho with a big loose polo neck. I love it and just pop it on over outfits... mostly dresses.

Very flattering!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Oct-22 18:04:14

Oh muse your post has just reminded me that I have also got a polo knock one. It’s cream cable stitch.

Admission I have a thick tweed one, with lining and a fake fur collar.

#toomanyclothes

MawtheMerrier Wed 12-Oct-22 18:11:55

I have several pure cashmere ponchos from Turtle Doves , a company in Shrewsbury who use recycled cashmere to make ponchos, jackets, fingerless gloves, neckwarmers, beanies, wraps and scarves.
I am still trying to work out how I could be attacked and wrestled to the ground because I was wearing a ponchos confused
Not an occupational hazard IMO

MawtheMerrier Wed 12-Oct-22 18:12:42

Disregard either the "a" or the "s" !

Kalu Wed 12-Oct-22 18:21:24

I have two cashmere ponchos I bought from Pure Cashmere years ago. Unfortunately this company no longer exists, bought over from a company I am not so keen on and they have hiked up the prices of all Pure Cashmere products they still sell. I also have a rabbit fur one.

I knitted one each for both GDs a few years ago and one for GD1’s dolly.

MerylStreep Wed 12-Oct-22 18:29:20

Kamiso
last time they were in fashion
There are lots of them in TKMax.

bikergran Wed 12-Oct-22 18:37:39

Will take a look in T ks

Urmstongran Wed 12-Oct-22 18:41:31

The fashion wheel keeps turning doesn’t it?

I had a mustard coloured woollen one in the late sixties (probably went with some brown trousers ? - those were the fashionable colours back in the day). I have a soft brown knitted one from John Lewis bought 4 years ago. I keep it in Spain where the weather when chilly is at least often dry! Wet wool is no friend to anyone.

That said, pulling them up over one’s head does mess the hair somewhat!

rubysong Wed 12-Oct-22 19:00:27

I have one DH brought me from Peru when he was in the Navy. It is made from alpaca wool and is very warm. I wear it when the weather us very cold.

JaneJudge Wed 12-Oct-22 19:02:35

I have quite a few

Biscuitmuncher Wed 12-Oct-22 19:36:25

My very trendy very beautiful 21 year old daughter has just bought a poncho

Grandmabatty Wed 12-Oct-22 19:39:45

I suspect I would look like Margaret Rutherford in a poncho. But smaller and rounder with less hair. It would not be a good idea.

Marydoll Wed 12-Oct-22 19:41:31

I have a few fine knit ones, they are definitely not out of fashion!

fairfraise Wed 12-Oct-22 20:00:49

I had one when I was young from Richard Shops. Brown and white striped. It was quite warm but no good in the rain!