Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Water flosser for teeth?

(10 Posts)
GranJan60 Thu 15-Sep-22 14:14:04

Anyone use one? If so, any recommendations please?
Still have an NHS dentist but after Covid lockdown they have started strongly recommending (very expensive IMO) hygienist visits in between check ups, I do use an electric toothbrush and sometimes floss but was wondering whether a diy approach would suffice.

Blinko Thu 15-Sep-22 16:46:32

I use a water flosser and interdental brushes, plus an electric toothbrush. So far it seems to be keeping the need to visit the (nhs) dentist to a minimum.

Mamie Thu 15-Sep-22 16:56:46

I have used them for years. They are brilliant and essential for me, but I have never had one that lasted longer than a year. I just buy the cheapest one on Amazon and regard it as annual expenditure. ?

AskAlice Thu 15-Sep-22 17:02:31

I used to have a Waterpik flosser, which was good but expensive to buy. It lasted about 2 years. When that packed in I bought a Fairywill water flosser for £9.99 on eBay, and it's still going strong 3 years later. I use it twice a day, morning and evening.

Happysexagenarian Thu 13-Oct-22 14:20:36

I use a Waterpik flosser, had it about 3 years now. I see the hygienist twice a year. She was very pleased when I said I had a water flosser and showed me the best way to use it. It can be a bit of a learning curve to get the knack of using it without drenching the bathroom and yourself!

Norah Thu 13-Oct-22 14:26:25

We use a Waterpik flosser, works well.

Liz46 Thu 13-Oct-22 14:29:16

Happysexagenarian

I use a Waterpik flosser, had it about 3 years now. I see the hygienist twice a year. She was very pleased when I said I had a water flosser and showed me the best way to use it. It can be a bit of a learning curve to get the knack of using it without drenching the bathroom and yourself!

I have a shower every morning after breakfast so take my flosser in with me and use it before I turn the shower on.

GrandmaKT Thu 13-Oct-22 21:12:10

I bought a Fairywill one off Amazon. It stopped working after about 6 months, but they were really good, replacing it with no trouble. The second one has lasted 18 months so far.
I'm amazed that, even after cleaning my teeth, it still gets lots of little bits out of the gaps between the teeth. I first bought it because I was getting toothache in a back tooth. The dentist was going to take the tooth out, but I persuaded her to give me antibiotics and I bought the water pic to keep the gap scrupulously clean. It's worked for the past two years!

JackyB Fri 14-Oct-22 08:28:51

There have been one or two similar questions on this. You may like to read
www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1302576-Water-glosser-for-gum-disease

JackyB Fri 14-Oct-22 08:38:29

Here's another
www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1314326-Teeth-flossers-irrigators