Gransnet forums

Sport

Clare Balding does Tennis

(17 Posts)
BridgetPark Fri 14-Jul-23 14:39:02

Hi everyone, I have thoroughly enjoyed Wimbledon this year, and partly because of Clare Balding. No disrespect to Sue Barker, but Clare is much more natural, and seems totally at ease with whoever she talks to. Anybody else agree?

Anniebach Fri 14-Jul-23 14:48:24

Sorry no, I miss Sue

foxie48 Fri 14-Jul-23 14:56:00

Clare is an excellent presenter and she seems to be able to present just about anything but she won't have the depth of knowledge of tennis that Sue Barker has, so I think it's perhaps a case of what kind of presenter is preferred. I haven't watched much tennis this year, been too busy but I do watch some sports avidly. I like to have a really knowledgeable person.

merlotgran Fri 14-Jul-23 15:08:34

They should never have got rid of Sue but I do like Clare Balding so she’s the only suitable replacement for me.

FannyCornforth Fri 14-Jul-23 15:15:04

Clare is amazing.
She is something very special.

It would have been great to have Sue and Clare together, as Clare loves learning from experts.

She asks all the questions that the public want to.

She was especially brilliant during our Olympics.

Women really are on top in sport now, in all areas.

I’m loving it and can’t wait for the Women’s Football World Cup next week

(And I don’t even like sport!)

lixy Fri 14-Jul-23 15:17:07

Clare Balding is a presenter, and does diligent research into whatever she is presenting. Like a good teacher she can make rice pudding skin exciting.

Sue Barker was a tennis player and brought first hand knowledge and passion to her commentary.

Both excellent at their jobs, both very personable, just different.

I have enjoyed Clare Balding's presentation this year, and I enjoy the radio programmes she does too.

Visgir1 Fri 14-Jul-23 16:42:56

I liked Sue, but Claire is in a different league, the ultimate safe pair of hands in the sporting world.
The perfect professional in the presentation of sport and anything else she get involved with.
Without doubt IMO she the best.

DamaskRose Fri 14-Jul-23 16:45:09

I like Clare Balding a lot but just not at Wimbledon. Yet ..,

Smileless2012 Fri 14-Jul-23 16:52:22

I don't think Sue was got rid of, didn't she want to retire?

Clare Balding was the right choice to replace her and has been doing a great job covering this year's Wimbledon so I hope she's back again next year.

FannyCornforth Fri 14-Jul-23 17:47:10

Smileless2012

I don't think Sue was got rid of, didn't she want to retire?

Clare Balding was the right choice to replace her and has been doing a great job covering this year's Wimbledon so I hope she's back again next year.

Yes. Sue retired and had an excellent send off

henetha Fri 14-Jul-23 18:21:58

I liked Sue very much, but she's retired so Clare is a good replacement.

Septimia Fri 14-Jul-23 18:27:51

Sorry, but I'm sick of Clare Balding presenting everything from the coronation to tennis and, especially, her walks broadcast on Radio 4 early on Sunday morning.

I agree that she does her homework and makes a good job of it most of the time. However I feel that giving her all this presenting work is doing the real experts out of a job.

Mollygo Fri 14-Jul-23 18:41:03

Septimia, I didn’t watch the tennis, but I don’t mind Clare Balding.
The Beeb does seem to have a habit of using the same presenter again and again and again, whatever the subject. I get presenter fatigue and switch off when I see the same presenter again.

Septimia Fri 14-Jul-23 19:20:11

Mollygo - yes that's the problem, overexposure! I didn't mind Clare until she started appearing everywhere, now I'm even going off her voice. The Beeb is doing her a disservice as well as depriving others of the chance to show what they can do.

Callistemon21 Fri 14-Jul-23 19:27:01

It would have been great to have Sue and Clare together, as Clare loves learning from experts.

Clare is ok and I am sure she thoroughly researched her brief but yes, a combination of Clare and Sue with Tim would have been so much better than listening to the drivel from some of the commentators.

I didn't mind Clare until she started appearing everywhere, now I'm even going off her voice
That can happen, unfortunately.

lixy Fri 14-Jul-23 21:18:13

a combination of Clare and Sue with Tim would have been so much better than listening to the drivel from some of the commentators.

Absolutely! So many of the ex-players may be knowledgeable about the game but I don't enjoy listening to them at all.

Foxygloves Fri 14-Jul-23 21:42:39

BridgetPark

Hi everyone, I have thoroughly enjoyed Wimbledon this year, and partly because of Clare Balding. No disrespect to Sue Barker, but Clare is much more natural, and seems totally at ease with whoever she talks to. Anybody else agree?

Clare Balding does tennis and Clive Myrie (apparently) does everything else.