Gransnet forums

Sport

Australian Open

(8 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Wed 05-Jan-22 11:48:26

I see today that Djokovic has been cleared to play despite being unvaccinated.
I think it’s rather double standards considering how the Australian public have had severe restrictions that they’ve had to abide by. A commentator on the radio said he thinks he will get stick from the crowd. I hope so.

Grandmadinosaur Wed 05-Jan-22 11:55:37

Update * I’ve just read the Australian PM has said if he can’t explain his medical exemption then he will be on the next plane home.

Kate1949 Wed 05-Jan-22 11:59:39

There is a thread on this under Coronavirus in case you wanted to have a look Grandmadinosaur

Grandmadinosaur Wed 05-Jan-22 12:01:35

Thank you Kate.

jaylucy Wed 05-Jan-22 12:11:46

My friends and relatives in Australia are absolutely disgusted that a sports authority can make decisions like this.
Djokovic has openly stated that he is anti vaccines, so just seems that it's once again money (with him being the drawcard for the sales for tickets for the Open) has ruled over not only common sense as well as local legislation.
I don't think he may be the only one - there have been 26 others allowed visas for the same event.
There is also ructions about the number of celebrities that have been allowed into NSW when Australian nationals are still waiting for months to be allowed back in to their home country.

Sarnia Wed 05-Jan-22 13:01:10

A thread already open under his name.

Grandmadinosaur Wed 05-Jan-22 15:17:52

Yes * Sarnia* already been mentioned above by Kate

Zoejory Tue 18-Jan-22 13:28:11

Anyone watched the Emma Raducanu match that's recently finished?

She's a lovely player and has done well in her first round