Gransnet forums

Sport

Heading for young footballers/dementia risk

(3 Posts)
Daisymae Sat 28-Aug-21 13:03:05

Walking across a local playing field where a football training session was going on for children I was surprised to see that a group were practising heading. The group were boys, I would say under 12, there were 3 men who I assume are coaches. I have just looked up online and the FA guidance says heading is not recommended, but can be limited in training sessions. I'm amazed that it's not banned altogether for children who have no idea at all about the increased risk of dementia. Their parents and coaches should do though. I'm thinking about raising it as an issue locally, but wonder if I should just keep my head down, so to speak!

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Aug-21 13:20:45

Daisymae You might be interested that there is a thread called ‘Footballers and Dementia’ in ‘Chat’.

Eloethan Sat 28-Aug-21 13:30:15

Given the medical evidence regarding heading the ball, and the guidance provided by the FA, I am surprised that some children's football clubs are not observing that guidance. I wonder if the parents are aware of the dangers and of the advice that has been given.

Daisymae I agree that the issue should be raised locally, though you must be prepared for possible opposition. There are always those who quote the "health and safety gone mad" mantra even where the future health of children is at issue.