Gransnet forums

Sport

Tokyo Olympics 2020

(47 Posts)
Blossoming Tue 20-Jul-21 12:01:07

There is a possibility that the Tokyo Olympics may not now go ahead, according to today’s Independent.

tinyurl.com/yzdmepab

Rosalyn69 Tue 20-Jul-21 12:25:29

What a complete nonsense this is to even think about holding them in the first place.

halfpint1 Tue 20-Jul-21 12:48:04

From what I read the Japanese people don't want it to go ahead.
I wish these sporting bodies - all sports - would just stop all these events for the present, the world is just not at the right place for them. I'm sorry for the participants but we are all in this together and large gatherings are a huge risk;

Is it just money , money, money?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Jul-21 15:45:43

Apparently the entire Scottish Olympic Team are having to isolate due to a positive case on their plane.

Summerlove Tue 20-Jul-21 15:48:41

At this point just let them go ahead.

This is madness

Alegrias1 Tue 20-Jul-21 15:48:45

The Scottish Olympic team?!?!?

Did we get independence and I missed it?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57903624

felice Tue 20-Jul-21 15:52:30

Alegrias1, same here were have I been today, oh maybye Radio 4 decided not to broadcast it, after all it is only Scotlandhmm.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Jul-21 15:53:18

I think it’s Scotland’s Olympic coverage team Alegrias1 sorry.
I am yet again trying to multitask.

Alegrias1 Tue 20-Jul-21 15:55:22

GrannyGravy13

I think it’s Scotland’s Olympic coverage team Alegrias1 sorry.
I am yet again trying to multitask.

smile

It's 3 journalists from BBC Scotland.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Jul-21 16:25:53

I should stop posting whilst vegetating in front of Peppa Pig whilst taking care of an 18mth old hurricane ?

Franbern Fri 23-Jul-21 18:57:20

Great to see these Olympic Games now officially underway. And, despite so much coverage as to how much the Japanese people were opposed to it, crowds all over Tokyo were gathering trying to catch a glimpse of the Opening Ceremony.

Good luck to Team GB

NanKate Fri 23-Jul-21 21:22:59

Just watched highlights of the Opening Ceremony and they played some classical music I know well, but for the life of me I can’t remember the name. . It builds up slowly to a sort of crescendo, any ideas ? I want to play it on Alexa.

NanKate Fri 23-Jul-21 22:07:03

It’s Ravel’s Bolero of course. ?

MayBee70 Sun 25-Jul-21 14:35:57

So the BBC can only show two live events at any one time because Sky have got the rights to show them and won’t allow the BBC to show more than two. This is totally unfair. I wanted to watch the dressage and couldn’t understand why it wasn’t on. Surely we have the right to watch our sportsmen and women (and horses!)?

Rosalyn69 Sun 25-Jul-21 15:14:00

Totally uninterested. At this time it all seems a bit pointless and should not be going ahead.

MayBee70 Sun 25-Jul-21 16:13:15

Fair enough…. (that’s me told then confused….)

Franbern Mon 26-Jul-21 12:31:17

I think that part of the problem with television, is that far fewer camera crews are being pemitted in each arena than usual. So BBC just has two sports on at the time.
Suppose I am feeling fortunate, as the two sports I have most interest in are Artistic Gymnastics (Men and Women) and Diving, both of which are getting excellent coverage.

Feeling slightly nostalgic today as I watch the Mens Team Finals as I rememebr this day in 2012 when I was fortunate enough to be able to be in the Arena when the GB boys took their historic Bronze Medal (first gymnastic medal for GB since the 1920's, and also the first medal for Team GB of those wonderful Games.

MayBee70 Mon 26-Jul-21 13:01:02

The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there….who would have thought back then that we would be having the sort of Olympics we are now seeing. My friends daughter was a keen gymnast. The amount of dedication her family put into it amazed me and she never came close to competing at international level. By the way, did anyone watch the skateboarding last night? Those poor young men crashing out and hobbling away really upset me. I thought there would never be a sport more masochistic than fell running but it seems there is. I missed the swimming by minutes. Woke up in the early hours and went downstairs to turn the tv on only to see Peaty being interviewed.

G1asgowgal Mon 26-Jul-21 22:42:30

Just watched Tom Daly speaking at the Olympics….
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he dive with Matthew Lee…and yet it was all about him. I know he’s waited a long time for gold but he did not do it on his own. His poor dive partner sat next to him with his head down during the interview.
Poor show…slipped in my estimation.

MayBee70 Mon 26-Jul-21 23:18:37

That’s true. But I guess the point was that many people have followed Tom throughout his career, seeing him disappointed on several occasions and it was Mathews first medal.

Callistemon Mon 26-Jul-21 23:24:56

G1asgowgal

Just watched Tom Daly speaking at the Olympics….
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he dive with Matthew Lee…and yet it was all about him. I know he’s waited a long time for gold but he did not do it on his own. His poor dive partner sat next to him with his head down during the interview.
Poor show…slipped in my estimation.

Oh dear. The naysayers are out.

We are so pleased for Tom Daly and his partner Matthew Lee and Matthew seemed just as thrilled and also so pleased for Tom. They both seemed quite overwhelmed.

Well done Tom and Matthew!
??

MayBee70 Mon 26-Jul-21 23:39:34

I hadn’t actually realised that Tom was competing at these Olympics till I heard that he’d finally got his gold medal. I adore his husband. I can’t remember if I first saw him in a tv programme or read something that he’d written but I’ve been pretty smitten ever since. If we look back over the years to how it was like to be gay throughout history and then look at where we are now I can at least think to myself, well we got one thing right!

Franbern Tue 27-Jul-21 09:04:37

Think that Matthew is totally over-whelmed, firstly at diving alongside Tom, and then achieving so highly on his first Olympics. He has many years in front of him at high level competition. They well deserved this Gold Medal.

Sadly, I think of Pete Waterfield who won silver at Athens at this event and then partnered Tom in London in 2012 and was then forced into retirement from his sport as all funding to him was stopped when they did not get the Gold there.

Kate54 Tue 27-Jul-21 09:08:31

I also felt for Matty - never got a word in and it was his firs Olympics so a huge achievement for him. Unfortunately, the organisers not lmly got the name cards the wrong way round but the names on the cards, too - hence Lee Matty and Daley Tom!

Kate54 Tue 27-Jul-21 09:08:47

Imly= only