Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Got a question about downsizing? Simon Sleep, senior business development manager for Willerby Bespoke is here to answer your questions - £200 voucher to be won

(81 Posts)
CeriGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 20-Oct-21 11:07:30

Created for Willerby Bespoke

THIS Q&A IS NOW CLOSED FOR QUESTIONS. YOU CAN VIEW SIMON'S ANSWERS ON PAGE 2 ONWARDS.

There’s a lot to consider when thinking about downsizing your home later on in life, from finance to community and lifestyle. If you have a question about downsizing or park home living, post it below and you could win a £200 voucher:

-Everyone who shares a question on the thread below by 3 November will be entered into a prize draw
-One lucky Gransnet user will win a £200 voucher for a store of their choice
-Simon Sleep will be back on 11 November to answer a selection of your questions

About Simon Sleep
Simon Sleep is the senior business development manager for Willerby Bespoke park homes and lodges. With over 20 years of experience within the industry, there's not much Simon doesn't know about park homes. Simon has dedicated his career to designing homes that make the customer's dreams a reality. He understands that park homes are more than just a home, they're a lifestyle!

Here’s what Willerby Bespoke have to say
“If you are looking for a more relaxed lifestyle, lived at a pace to suit you, in a community of like-minded people, then a park home could be the perfect answer. Here at Willerby Bespoke, we place you at the heart of your home creating a truly unique design that is tailored to suit you and your needs.”

Perhaps you’ve considered downsizing but you’re unsure if it’s the right decision for you? You may be interested in finding out how much equity you could release, or maybe you’d just like some more information on the processes involved in moving? Whatever your question on downsizing may be, post it below for Simon to answer.

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ
Gransnet T+Cs apply

Bea65 Wed 20-Oct-21 11:14:27

Clicked on link which tells me that "your connection is not private" blue button ..back to safety?? This privacy error message has been plaguing me for past week whenever I click on some threads provided by GNs links. Please Advise GNHQ

Grannynannywanny Fri 22-Oct-21 13:09:26

I’m considering downsizing from my 4 bedroom house . I’ve no experience of selling a house as my previous home was a rental.

What are the advantages of park home living? Are there restrictions on who the house can be sold on to after I’m gone.

Lorraine1602 Fri 22-Oct-21 13:14:23

I’ve lived in the same house for thirty six years and I’ve accumulated a lot of things. Can you offer any advice on the best way to clear a home prior to moving into a much smaller property?

Pittcity Sat 23-Oct-21 11:12:33

I have recently downsized and miss having room for a tumble dryer and a couple of big indoor airers now that it's too damp to put laundry out.
I'd love some space saving ideas.

chris8888 Sat 23-Oct-21 16:07:08

It is all very overwhelming to think about moving. Packing up, getting new carpets, curtains etc. Leaving what you know, a room for a family member to stay. Changing bank/.gas, elec .
I can`t face it and I am sure I am not the only one.
In the ideal world I would go on holiday for a few weeks, come back and its all done.

Pythagoras Sat 23-Oct-21 16:21:38

A widower friend recently moved into a park home and it is so enjoyable to visit there, lovely atmosphere, friendly people, no litter and beautiful gardens smile.

Are there any restrictions in the resale of a parkhome - generally speaking or with Willerby? What about bequeathing a park home - is it straightforward?

Lollin Sat 23-Oct-21 17:17:53

I’ve heard heating a park home is expensive. How well insulated would you say the6 are compared to a bricks and mortar house?

mumofmadboys Sun 24-Oct-21 06:43:13

What is the largest number of bedrooms park homes have?

Nashville Sun 24-Oct-21 07:05:52

Willerby as the manufacturers of a park home would not be responsible for the running of the park presumably. How many years are your new park homes guaranteed for? Has Willerby any commercial links to a particular park home owner group?

Hetty58 Sun 24-Oct-21 07:23:02

I suppose park homes are 'short term leasehold' as the park owners have freehold of the land? What sort of charges apply for park maintenance?

I've heard that utilities are bought from park owners, with no choice of company or price - as part of the contract. How do costs compare with average domestic rates?

As the homes deteriorate/devalue in the same way as vehicles do, what contract 'lifespan' do they have before a new one has to be purchased?

Calmlocket Sun 24-Oct-21 10:00:43

Why is downsizing so expensive! its ok if you own a property as you have the funds to buy a smaller place. It frustrates me that even renting a smaller place to retire in its always ' luxury appartment' with extortionate rent! I dont need luxury I need affordable retirement housing! which can not be found anywhere!

FarNorth Sun 24-Oct-21 16:18:29

How does the EPC rating of park homes compare with standard housing?

Ro60 Mon 25-Oct-21 01:11:19

Downsized, but now, like Pitcity need some space saving ideas.

ElderlyPerson Mon 25-Oct-21 13:30:28

Are there any where the purchaser gets the freehold absolutely, no ground rent, no obligatory maintenance charge, and adjacent to a road that has been adopted by the local authority?

grandmaz Tue 26-Oct-21 10:38:54

I would be interested to know what sort of features the newest park homes have in relation to energy saving and ultimately recycling, please? I live in a ground floor flat in a small block at present and it’s far from environmentally friendly as it was built in 1977 when such considerations were not really on builders agendas.
Thank you ?

Rowsie Tue 26-Oct-21 10:39:25

I am selling my house which I have lived in for 41 years. It is too big and I am tired of the maintenance of it. I want to rent after I have sold it, I want a new build flat that is easy to maintain and that I don't have to worry about decorating and updating etc. I have looked locally and seen some flats I am interested in but I can't start planning until I have sold my house. Is there anything I should be doing whilst I am waiting? (I did get an offer for the house which I accepted but then the buyer decided to pull out so I am back to square one)!

POBCOB Tue 26-Oct-21 10:54:11

Would like to downsize from our large detached house in a village to somewhere that has public transport and easy access to doctors, hospital and a variety of shops but do not want to be in a large town. Any ideas?

lexigran Tue 26-Oct-21 11:10:23

My concern with Park homes is that they don't keep their value as well as bricks and mortar. Is there a limit to how long you can keep it before replacing with a newer model?

Authoress Tue 26-Oct-21 12:48:32

What exactly is a park home?

Grannyjacq1 Tue 26-Oct-21 19:50:31

Park homes always look as if they would be very cold - do they really have as much insulation as a standard build? And aren't there lots of problems when it comes to re-selling?

StickChildNumberTwo Tue 26-Oct-21 21:34:15

I'm also wondering what a park home is. Is it like a retirement village? Or from other people's questions I'm wondering if it's a glorified caravan park? (Nothing wrong with caravan parks but I'm not sure I'd want to live in one).

live7 Wed 27-Oct-21 00:08:57

We like staying on a site for holiday but to downsize and live on one I would be concerned about it being isolated, and would other park homes be vacant a lot?

FishKnife Wed 27-Oct-21 01:22:54

What are the compromises made in building a park home rather than a regular bricks and mortar home, and what are the advantages?

Doodledog Wed 27-Oct-21 10:54:40

What are the guarantees that the park owners won’t change the rules down the line, so that those with homes over, say, 15 years old are not pressurised into ‘upgrading’ them at huge expense?

How are residents protected against a decision to change the use of the land, or to sell it for permanent building work!

As lodges are pretty much worthless unless they are sited with some security of tenure, are the rules about resale and inheritance clear to buyers, and is there a legally enforceable contract that compensation will be paid if the site owner has a change of heart, or sells to a new owner with a different business model?