Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share the things that encourage you to consider moving home with Willerby Bespoke - £200 voucher to be won

(329 Posts)
YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Jun-20 10:21:22

They might seem like bricks and mortar, but homes hold a lot of memories that make you feel attached to them. But the desire to move home - whether that’s to be closer to family, to have more money to do the things you love, or to achieve a more relaxed lifestyle - can outweigh that attachment, and Willerby would like to hear about what encourages you to consider a home move.

Here’s what Willerby has to say: ‘Willerby has been creating homes for over 70 years and are exceptionally experienced when it comes to making quality homes that are truly built to last. Our designers have created the perfect blend of style and practicality in all our park homes with amazing space saving ideas, luxurious touches and beautiful interiors and exteriors. Our park homes are built to last and offer stylish, low maintenance living for those who want to paint landscapes, not the hallway! View, download or order your brochure here. Get inspiration and details for our range of homes.’

Do you move home often for a change in scenery? What makes you think about moving now? Would it be to downsize? Release money for retirement? To achieve a more relaxed lifestyle? Perhaps you’d consider moving to be closer to family? Or maybe it’s appealing because you get the freedom to start from scratch with your design ideas?

Whatever the things that make you consider moving home, share on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

vampirequeen Mon 22-Jun-20 14:29:21

I would have to win the lottery but then I'd move home.

joannapiano Mon 22-Jun-20 16:04:01

We moved from London as the traffic fumes were aggravating my asthma and I was admitted to hospital several times. We now live in a bungalow at the top of a hill, in a small town, and my asthma is no longer a problem.

AMKAT38 Mon 22-Jun-20 16:15:11

The whole COVID-19 saga has led me to question a move. While currently reasonably settled in small yet reasonably sized area with good transport links etc I feel it has led me to think seriously about a move in the next few years.

My move would be to a small, confined area such as Gurnsey where I would have access to wondeful secenary and beaches. All I could want in this little area and as a bonus I would have family a short hop away in Jersey. For me the ideal of this or other such smaller area appeals more than ever. Being confined to space makes you re-evaluate what you want in life and as I get older I feel much more inclined to look at alternative options and give them serious consideration.

A 3-5year plan for this would be reasonable, depending on commitments to work etc. A goal to work towards for the future.

fevertree Mon 22-Jun-20 16:28:06

I would move for a house with a view, and/or to be near water (river or ocean).

(I really miss our previous home where the kitchen window looked out over our beautiful back garden. Where we live now in London, my kitchen window looks out over a dismal public access area. Thankfully we do have a lovely patio with double doors opening onto to it from the lounge ... )

MAForster Mon 22-Jun-20 16:41:06

As we get older, it is increasingly difficult to manage our house. It may be that, in time, the solution will be to downsize, perhaps to a bungalow.

gracie1956 Mon 22-Jun-20 16:45:32

i would move to cornwall the best place i love in the world whats not to like sun sea and fab food magic

Kate1949 Mon 22-Jun-20 18:16:46

We have been in the same house for almost 40 years. Although it's in the suburb of a big city, it is quiet and peaceful. We are not overlooked and have a canal at the back. We would only consider moving if we were unable to maintain the house and garden. The house next door is for sale at the moment. The lady who lived there is now in a home. She has been a lovely neighbour for the whole of our time here. If we have troublesome neighbours we would be tempted to move.

Lorelei Mon 22-Jun-20 19:33:06

We are in the process of renovating a bungalow that is intended to be our forever home. The things that encouraged a move were my health and the sress of decades of living under the neighbours from hell. My better half was raised in a bungalow that his mum still lives in so had always wanted one of his own, detached, with nice decent-sized garden, garage, workshop, shed, greenhouse, conservatory so we will have all those things, and decent neighbours in a quiet street. If we came into any money that wasn't enough for a big move and a next door property became available we'd try to buy it and move our current neighbour to become our new neighbour - she's lovely and has already said she's pleased for us but after nearly 30 years will miss us - we'd love to have been in a position to take her with us.

It's unlikely we will ever want to move again unless we won the National Lottery/Euromillions or Set For Life draw and could afford 'the dream' of a farm, woodland, outbuildings, barns etc or a small-holding and enough cash to be able to buy in some help or offer opportunities to local people and/or a long-term prospect for a young person who loves animals, nature, working the land etc and is keen to learn and be a part of the dream.

My aunt & uncle moved to somewhere like the homes you describe but she died last month and I don't know what my uncle's future plans are - as far as I know they were happy, loved having a home with everything brand new after a lifetime of 'making do' and having neighbours of similar ages and shared interests. Not sure it would suit us but who knows what the future will bring. I'd be unlikely to be able to manage living alone.

Starfishing Mon 22-Jun-20 22:26:44

We would love to move to be closer to our family or to get a better outdoor space because we love to garden. We don't move often so it needs to be exactly the right place.

Holidayenthusiast Mon 22-Jun-20 22:50:10

I want to move to be closer to my daughter. Also, as we have recently retired, we would like to downsize.
Our next home would ideally be ready to move into and easy to maintain. A garden would be great for our small dog.

MummyBtothree Tue 23-Jun-20 00:05:08

We are very happy and settled in our current home and love the area and also lucky enough to have good neighbours but I would be tempted to move house if we got new nightmare neighbours

quizqueen Tue 23-Jun-20 01:26:23

I've recently added a ground floor extension to make it easier for me to continue to live in my current home if I become disabled so I'm unlikely to move now unless I win the lottery. I might buy a bungalow then with a smaller garden, but not that close to neighbours and a semi rural aspect. Location is more important than a house being perfect.

Nanof3 Tue 23-Jun-20 08:31:38

I would move tomorrow, we have lived here for 40 years and our next door neighbours have always been eccentric but these days are awful and I feel uncomfortable being in the garden unless I hide behind the trellis.
My husband says we are too old to move as well as expensive. we are 71 and 75 so I feel we are stuck here, very resentful.

rubysong Tue 23-Jun-20 09:07:50

Two years ago we moved half a mile across the village from a cottage with a large garden, down a steep hill, to a modern bungalow on a bus route and near the village shop. We had been in the cottage for over thirty years and though we loved the garden, it was becoming to much to manage. DH insisted for years he could still do the grass, hedges and house maintenance but following illness, he got the idea of moving and he is happy to be here and not have the worry of the previous property. We won't be moving again and either one of us could manage here alone..

Harris27 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:11:32

Used to move a lot in our younger years now still stuck with a mortgage in early 60’s would like to move now to downsize and enjoy our last years. But house prices now will be going down as said in the press so we shall have to wait.

PattyFingers Tue 23-Jun-20 10:55:41

We moved into larger houses when we were younger which meant that now we have been able to downsize quite comfortably. Although inside space is something that I miss now, we definitely had too much space in our last house. The garden is larger though which is a big plus. We haven't needed to move to be near anybody which again does constrict many people when moving. We just found a house at the right price that we could 'lick into shape' and went for it. We have never looked back.

Scattygran Tue 23-Jun-20 11:16:29

I would move to a bungalow with nice size garden, preferably near a coast, in a rural area, and not too far from my children/grandkids. Given my children are spread around half the country it’s difficult to choose!! Have been in present house for over 40 years...so hard to take the step, but never say never, it might happen..price obviously plays a big part, but bungalows are often premium priced.

Annaram1 Tue 23-Jun-20 11:24:00

I would love to be able to move from my large 200 year old flat into somewhere smaller and nearer to town , so I could walk to the shops. Now I have to get the car out if I want to go to town. I sold my flat at the end of last year and had found a lovely little town centre cottage, but the sale fell through and I am still in the large old flat, where something is always going wrong.

Pittcity Tue 23-Jun-20 11:31:28

We will finally have an empty(ish) nest next week and will be seriously looking into downsizing. We have a list of "must haves" for a smaller house and would like to have money left over for some holidays.
Being near public transport links for visiting family is important as is being within walking distance of essential shops, services and green space. The last 3 have been godsends in recent weeks.

maciv234 Tue 23-Jun-20 11:34:23

if money was ok that would prompt us to move if possible to somewhwere with more ground area

hg123 Tue 23-Jun-20 11:53:55

We ought to downsize but at the current time we might have 2 of our grown up children coming home

delwick Tue 23-Jun-20 12:13:18

Devon or Cornwall, anywhere with a long sandy beach o walk on.

crowfeather Tue 23-Jun-20 12:23:12

I would like a bigger house, but I would have to come into a lot of money before I could consider it.

Cs783 Tue 23-Jun-20 12:30:56

We have moved typically moved home for work. Then we moved to a lovely area for space to breathe - not downsizing but to a remote area so lots of space. Now the time has come to downsize and we've been very lucky to be able to choose a new build with all its easy-to-run advantages and located near to all essentials. So it's all been conscious decisions to move to suit the lifestyle we've needed at the time.