Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Let’s talk oral care routines with Listerine® - £300 voucher to be won

(272 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Jun-19 16:35:40

This activity is now closed

Looking after your teeth is an important part of everyone’s hygiene routine, it’s something that is drilled into us from a very young age. From ensuring you don’t eat too many sugary foods to flossing, there can be a lot of aspects to oral care, which is why Listerine® would like to know all about your oral care routine.

Here’s what Listerine® have to say: “In a modern age of increasingly busy lifestyles and diary-filled days it’s easy to neglect things like oral health. Whether it’s healthy foods or sweet treats that you enjoy the most as snacks, tucking into acidic or sugary food and drink weakens your teeth enamel. While brushing does help to take care of your oral health, brushing just your teeth only targets 25% of your mouth*, Listerine® mouthwash targets virtually 100%.

New Listerine® Nightly Reset mouthwash is scientifically proven to remineralize enamel for 6x stronger teeth versus brushing alone**. The mild “Midnight” flavoured formula boasts a high level of fluoride which restores weakened enamel and resets your whole mouth; a key step in your oral care regime.”

How long do you brush your teeth for? Do you use mouthwash? How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too? What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person? Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care? What type of toothpaste do you prefer? Do you always remember to brush your tongue too?

Whatever your tips, tricks and oral care routines are, post them on the thread below and everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 VEX Gift Certificate which can be redeemed for any voucher on the voucher express website.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
GNHQ

*From study representing teeth surface area measurements
**in a lab study UK/LI/19-13725b

UK residents only, 18+. Must be a registered member of Gransnet. Enter from 4:30pm on 3rd June 2019 to 4.30pm on 24th June 2019. To participate, post a comment related to oral care on this thread below. Only 1 entry per person. Prizes: 1 x £300 VEX Gift Certificates exchangeable on voucherexpress.co.uk. Prize is subject to voucher express T&Cs. Full T&Cs can be found here. Promoter: Gransnet Limited of Studio 13-16 Deane House Studios, 27 Greenwood Place, London, NW5 1LB, GB

M0nica Tue 04-Jun-19 13:42:59

Could Listerine make it easy for us by setting up a questionnaire for us to complete. They are asking so much information without a properly structured questionnaire, that I for one would be bound to leave several key aspects of my dental care out.

Grannyknot Tue 04-Jun-19 13:54:47

My replies are in bold below having cut and paste from the OP (but I agree a survey-style questionnaire would be easier):

How long do you brush your teeth for? 2 minutes (while I try to see for how long I can balance on one leg at the same time)

Do you use mouthwash? When I remember, every now and again. (But I like the sound of the over night one).

How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too? My middle front teeth have become "thinner" on the biting edge so I am careful with e.g. biting into toasted sourdough!

What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person? I go twice a year - I'd rather be told "All clear" than "You waited and now you need a filling."

Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care? Floss.

What type of toothpaste do you prefer? For sensitive teeth but every now and again I like to use one that is slightly "gritty".

Do you always remember to brush your tongue too? Nope.

As an aside, I was very surprised when the hygienist asked me how many times a day I brush my teeth shock (routine question). I mean surely everyone brushes morning and evening! At least!

genie10 Wed 05-Jun-19 08:17:48

I use an electric toothbrush for 2 minutes with chlorhexidine toothpaste, Also floss and use interdental sticks and water flosser morning and evening,
Mouthwash - occasionally.
Visit the dentist 6 monthly and hygienist in between as I have an implant.
Advice to younger self: lay off the sweet stuff!

BrandyButter Wed 05-Jun-19 13:16:26

I use an electric toothbrush but only for 1 minute, I know it should be 2 mins but I try to do it as quick as possible as I am busy.
I brush morning after breakfast and last thing at night before sleep. I also brush after excess sugar foods that leave a film on my teeth that I can feel. Always after strong filter coffee and lemon in drinks as they both stain teeth.
My teeth used to be very white and are now more yellow but I do not want to whiten them with chemicals.
I rarely use mouthwash usually just if I am visiting someone who has it in their bathroom as I feel once my teeth are brushed my mouth is clean and I do not need mouthwash as it just freshens breath rather than helps teeth and would just add to my 'teeth cleaning' time. I would be interested in Nightly Reset Mouthwash as it claims to actually improve teeth not just freshen breath and it works whilst I am sleeping so will not take up any extra of my time.
I use a mild mint toothpaste (any brand on offer) but do not like the gel texture ones. I have tried tooth powder and charcoal but did not like either texture and they did not seem to work any better than normal toothpaste.
I always brush my tongue after teeth.
I have visited the dentist every 6 months since I was a child and it was instilled in me that it was very important not to miss any check-ups. I have a few fillings but only ever had a tooth out and that was a wisdom tooth many years ago.
I never used floss as a child but always as an adult and keep it in my make-up bag as I use it during the day if any food gets stuck between my teeth. I am not keen on tooth picks as they do not seem to work as good as floss but will use them if I have no alternative.
Advice to younger self - don't drink as much strong coffee and lemon in hot water as I was too busy concentrating on the healthy 'flushing out' of my body and ignored the acid ruining my tooth enamel. I now do less of both and always clean teeth as soon as possibe afterwards and don't wait till night time.
I class myself as a non-judgemental person but secretly judge people with low dental hygiene standards as seriously lacking as a decent human being grin. I would not kiss anyone with bad teeth and I do not like to dine and keep looking at with people with bad teeth.
I would never, ever share a toothbrush and have used my finger and the edge of a towel in emergencies smile
I do not mind people with false teeth (in or out) as long as everything is brushed and clean. Fortunately mine are all my own for now grin

Seakay Wed 05-Jun-19 14:33:55

How long do you brush your teeth for?
about two minutes

Do you use mouthwash?
no (they all seem to contain sugar or sweetener) - but I'm going to check out the Nightly Reset option

How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too?
My gums don't bleed as much since I took my dentist's advice and got a softer brush.

What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person?
I have a check up every six months

Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care?
Don't have that bridge

What type of toothpaste do you prefer?
Something whitening and for sensitive teeth. Sometimes I use bicarbonate of soda

Do you always remember to brush your tongue too?
Not always - and I prefer to scrape as brushing makes me gag

AliBeeee Wed 05-Jun-19 15:19:02

Electric toothbrush with any Colgate toothpaste for 2 minutes, twice a day. Followed every time by an interdental brush and Listerine Freshburst or Cool Mint. Floss as required, usually a few times per week.
I am more conscientious than I used to be, but I have always brushed twice per day. I don’t brush my tongue, maybe I will try that.

Dentist and hygienist every 6 months. I only started seeing the hygienist around age 40 (now 60).

My teeth and gums are in good condition, but I have had 2 abscesses in the past 6 years which have required crowns.

Advice to my younger self...get the braces as suggested, your teeth with be a twisted mess otherwise.

tunde Wed 05-Jun-19 15:36:51

I brush my teeth with an Oral B electric toothbrush. It has a built-in pressure sensor and a timer. I use mouthwash most of the time. Listerine is my favourite mouthwash brand. Bought their manual tooth brush in the past too. My advice would be to floss more often. Unfortunately I can`t afford dentist visits but I made it to the hygienist this year for a thorough clean. During the years the firmness of my gums changed and my taste buds too. I find most tooth pastes and mouth washes sickly sweet.

MamaCaz Wed 05-Jun-19 15:41:52

I don't time it, but probably about 3 mins. I always do dertain bits in same order so as not yo miss anything: bottom front, surface then back of bottom teeth, then same at top.
I floss on alternate days.

Do you use mouthwash?
No
How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too?
I have a lot more teeth now (at 58), as all my wisdom teeth have gradually erupted. This has resulted in an overcrowded mouth, which means the front ones have become crooked and it is difficult to get floss between some of the molars. What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person?
Since registering with a oractice that makes future appointments at the end of the current examination, I have never missed an appointment. Prior to that, I would only make appointments if i thought there was a problem.
Brush well but gently - I have receded gums now due entirely to brushing too hard in the past!
I'm not usually a 'brand' person, but have come to prefer Colgate's Total range.
No, rarely.

LindyLouMac Wed 05-Jun-19 15:44:53

Certainly an interesting thread, however like others so much info requested a survey would have been so much more user friendly. I use an electric toothbrush and rinse with mouthwash at night.

JessK Wed 05-Jun-19 16:00:49

I brush for 2 minutes twice a day using and electric toothbrush and a quick minute before going to bed. I also use interdental brushes twice a day to release any food that may be trapped. I use mouthwash twice a day - morning and night.
I go to the dentist regularly every six months.
To my younger self I would say two minutes twice a day is well worth spent brushing your teeth.
I usually use Colgate toothpaste but do deviate if others are on offer.
I much prefer an electric brush and try to remember to brush my tongue.

NotSpaghetti Wed 05-Jun-19 16:24:02

2mins plus twice a day
Do you use mouthwash?
No but I use interdental brushes and floss
How have your teeth changed over time
Stayed pretty much the same
Has your oral care routine changed too
Yes. Probably more thorough
What about the dentist:
Every 6 months since I was a child
No
I prefer kingfisher fennel but use Sensodyne with Novamin
No. I generally don’t

janeainsworth Wed 05-Jun-19 17:27:02

Grannyknot I now have a vision of you simultaneously brushing your teeth and standing on one leg grin

How long do you brush your teeth for? At least 3 minutes twice a day, more than twice a day if I'm going out in the evening.

Do you use mouthwash? No

How have your teeth changed over time? Wear on biting surfaces. Some gum recession.

Has your oral care routine changed too? I now use a power brush and floss once daily.

What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person? I have a check-up at least once a year.

Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care? Eating sweets and snacks between meals will damage your teeth.

What type of toothpaste do you prefer? Sensodyne gentle whitening.

Do you always remember to brush your tongue too? I never brush my tongue. There's no point unless someone has chronic, poorly controlled periodontal disease.

Pittcity Wed 05-Jun-19 17:31:51

I brush for 2 minutes morning and night. I use a cheap electric toothbrush that divides the time into 4x30 seconds so that each quarter of my mouth gets equal time.
I use a sensitive head and toothpaste (I pick one which says it builds enamel) as recommended by my hygienist to be gentle on my slightly receding gums. I visit the dentist and hygienist annually.
I floss and use mouthwash if I feel I need to and have never thought to use mouthwash at night as I didn't think that it would make any difference to morning breath. I have also been told not to rinse after brushing as the toothpaste needs to do it's thing.

Pittcity Wed 05-Jun-19 17:34:18

BTW toothbrushing makes DH need to wee.......is he the only one?

janeainsworth Wed 05-Jun-19 17:55:48

toothbrushing makes DH need to wee.......is he the only one?

grin
It's probably the sound of water running & dripping from the tap pittcity, producing a reflex reaction grin

Pittcity Wed 05-Jun-19 19:39:46

grin janeainsworth

SueDonim Wed 05-Jun-19 20:10:44

Two minutes morning & night, plus extra if I'm going out somehere.

Do you use mouthwash?
No.

Teeth haven't really changed much for years. I now floss and use an electric toothbrush.

What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person?
Assiduously attend dentist & hygienist six-monthly.

Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care? Use fluoride toothpaste. Floss.

A fluoride one for sensitive teeth.

Yes.

kpdchudleigh Wed 05-Jun-19 21:13:50

I have improved my routine over the years and now always floss or use an interdental brush as well as brushing with a standard toothbrush. I use a high flouride paste and never ever rinse. If I feel like using a mouthwash it's always before I brush, never after.

olmarshall Wed 05-Jun-19 21:24:26

I brush my teeth twice a day (for 3 minutes) and, yes, I brush my tongue top ☺. I, also, use Listerine twice a day as, in my opinion, it's the only mouthwash that it does what it says on the bottle. Sadly, I'm too lazy to floss every day but 3-4 times a week is sufficient enough, I believe ☺. From time to time I suffer with swollen gums and I find Listerine quite soothing during these painful times. I do go to the dentist but, I admit, I should be more frequent visitor. One advice I would give to my younger self is to not be lazy with brushing, take time (as long as it takes), take care of your teeth as you'll need them just as much in the old age as in the young.

jojozelz Thu 06-Jun-19 10:06:04

Floss once a day
Clean teeth twice a day
Brush tongue once a day
Seems to keep them healthy

Sarahmob Thu 06-Jun-19 10:49:31

How long do you brush your teeth for? i try for two minutes, but don’t use a timer so probably not for long enough

Do you use mouthwash? no, but my dentist suggested I do so am prepared to start

How have your teeth changed over time and has your oral care routine changed too? I used an electric toothbrush until my teeth became sensitive - now I use a manual soft brush

What about the dentist: are you someone who never fails to miss an appointment or are you more of an as-and-when type of person? every six months - religiously. For someone who hates the dentist a check-up is better than a filling!

Is there any advice you would give to your younger self about oral care? clean better and floss

What type of toothpaste do you prefer? one aimed at sensitive teeth

Do you always remember to brush your tongue too? No I don’t

Fernbergien Thu 06-Jun-19 10:58:45

Brush twice a day.
Clean tongue twice a day.
Rarely use mouthwash.
Use any toothpaste.

hutchy73 Thu 06-Jun-19 11:01:17

Brush twice a day with a manual brush
Brush hard as toothbrush needs replacing most months
Never floss and rarely use mouthwash
Visit dentist as and when

itsmyyearitis Thu 06-Jun-19 11:40:00

I brush my teeth morning after breakfast and at night before getting into bed, I brush for 5 minutes at a time and I use mouthwash in the mornings only as I never believed mouthwash could work during the night whilst I slept.

I have always had this routine over the years but have added mouthwash into my routine this past 3 or 4 years because I noticed my breath was not staying as fresh as previously.

I visit the dentist once every 2 years just because I take care of my oral health and do not have issues with my gums or teeth, I would increase visits if things were to change.

I always use Arm and hammer whitening toothpaste or Colgate whitening because they both care for my teeth and gums and leave my mouth feeling fresh, I always brush my tongue, I was taught to do that when younger and have carried this on over the years.

The only advise for my younger self would be to use a timer and set it for 5 minutes and keep brushing until it goes off, it's pretty easy to give up and give an all over quick brush of our teeth/tongue, test various toothpastes and brushes because one does not suit all.