Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What advice would you give to your younger self? Share with Legal & General - NOW CLOSED

(623 Posts)
EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Feb-19 14:42:13

We’ve all been asked this question at some point. Our answers can vary from ‘I wish I’d taken more risks’ or ‘I would have stopped caring about what people think’, to ‘I wish I’d had more fun’ or ‘I wish I’d travelled the world more’. But if you really think about it, what practical advice would you have really benefited from when you were younger? What would you have told your younger self? What would you have done differently? A recent survey carried out across Mumsnet and Gransnet revealed that some Gransnet users consciously put off financial decisions. Is going further with your finances something you might have given more consideration to, with the benefit of hindsight? Whatever advice you’d like to give to your younger self, Legal & General would love to know.

Here’s what Legal & General have to say: “On our savings journey, a nudge in the right direction can make the world of difference when it comes to our financial futures. It’s starting off early, saving little and often over a longer period, that can really pay off*. Although it’s never too late to start saving, what tips and guidance would have motivated you to do more with your money and just get started?”

Would you have taken more risks when you were younger? Is there any information you wish you would have known back then, such as how to save into your pension, how to invest your money or even how to save your money from an earlier age? Would you like to tell your younger self to be more confident in the decisions you make? Or perhaps you wish you’d spent more time with friends and family?

Whatever the advice you would like to give to your younger self, post them on the thread below and everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).*

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

*Open 4/02/19 to 25/02/19. To enter please post on the thread below. One entry per person. One prize to be won: £300 voucher of winner’s choice (from a list). Winner chosen by random draw performed by computer process.

*The value of your investments can fall as well as rise and any income from them is not guaranteed. Legal & General Unit Trust Managers Limited.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Feb-19 14:47:11

None, because I wouldn't have taken it.

mumofmadboys Mon 04-Feb-19 16:47:47

I wish I had been less concerned what others felt about me and my actions.

Izabella Mon 04-Feb-19 17:05:37

I was too busy enjoying myself and travelling the world

MacCavity2 Mon 04-Feb-19 17:31:45

Confidence fake it until you feel it.
Find out what makes you feel secure it will be different for everyone. Once your basic security is in place the sky’s the limit.

glammanana Mon 04-Feb-19 17:48:08

I personally would have started a pension plan as early as possible if I knew then what I know now.
I put off saving as long as possible as you think there is plenty of time in the future and really the years fly by so quickly.
I started my pension plan in my mid 30s 10yrs too late in my opinion I should have made myself struggle a wee bit and I would have done so much better.
I would advise my younger self to always keep track of your pension provider and inform your provider with address updates (something I forgot to do on one occasion)

helen55 Tue 05-Feb-19 12:36:57

I left school at 15. I would tell myself to complete all the night school courses I started. Education and knowledge is the key to a successful life. I finally got my degree at 45.

knickas63 Tue 05-Feb-19 13:12:17

You are not fat! - You do not need a man. Do not get into debt! Travel - as much as possible!

M0nica Tue 05-Feb-19 13:14:43

I am not sure I would give myself any advice. I seem to have got most things more or less right and and had the experience of the learning process, for good or ill.

Oldwoman70 Tue 05-Feb-19 14:33:59

Not to be a people pleaser! I lost count of the number of times I abandoned my own plans in order to help out someone else.

To follow my gut instinct. So many times I allowed myself to be influenced by others only to realise later that following my own instinct would have been the best path for me.

I would have loved to have travelled more but finances did not allow it - I am making up for it now!

NanaandGrampy Tue 05-Feb-19 14:35:26

Take better care of your teeth !!!

And your health- don't take it for granted. being indestructible at 18 doesn't work when you're 80 !!

Charleygirl5 Tue 05-Feb-19 14:45:51

My father taught me to save from an early age, around 5 years of age and he also taught me about pensions so I, unlike my friends, left my pension intact so I am now reaping the benefits whereas they were a few years short when they retired and are suffering now.

The one thing I regret not doing sooner was paying off my mortgage-that would change. My father was dead by then and I received poor advice.

Nandalot Tue 05-Feb-19 16:29:25

Be more confident. You never know what you can do until you try. Stretch yourself.

heatherjw Tue 05-Feb-19 17:23:35

Say yes to opportunities you have to try new things, you might surprise yourself

Yasmin0147 Tue 05-Feb-19 18:44:43

To do things because you want to, not because you think other people want you too. You make yourself miserable trying to live up to what you think other people want or think. But you have no idea actually. So just live for you.

BBbevan Tue 05-Feb-19 19:19:03

Be more adventurous, and take advantage of opportunities

Hub1 Tue 05-Feb-19 20:19:01

Appreciate the time you have with your parents. Once they have passed you realise there are numerous questions you could have asked about family history & their lives & never did ! Just find the time !!

AnnB Tue 05-Feb-19 20:33:52

Find out as much as you can from parents and grandparents, there's such a wealth of knowledge there and great stuff to pass on to your own children and grandchildren later!

Pat0016 Tue 05-Feb-19 20:49:10

If you take out income replacement insurance ensure that it covers current occupation and does not specify an age that you should get your pension at the time the policy is taken out. Make sure it states to state pension age at the time of illness allowing for government policy changes.
This will ensure you do not have to find employment for many years due to government changes in policy when you should not be working due to illness. (6 in my case from 60-66)

Laddie Tue 05-Feb-19 20:51:06

I wish I did more, with regard to bullyimg, with regard to mother - by relations

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Feb-19 20:54:33

Ask about family history even if you don’t want to and aren’t interested - one day you will be and then it will probably be too late.

GrannyLiv Tue 05-Feb-19 21:54:17

I would tell my younger self to be true to herself. Not to worry about making the 'correct' choices in life, or to worry about what others think. The pressure you will feel to try and fit in with the 'cool kids' is nonsense, listen to your heart and do what you feel passionate about and what moves you and to hell with anyone who dares pour scorn.

Galen Tue 05-Feb-19 22:24:21

To have been firmer with my male business partners when they insisted on every taking a reduced share during maternity leave

dani4 Tue 05-Feb-19 22:27:17

I would have taken up my own choice of career instead of listening to (I suppose) well meant advice!

redheadh Tue 05-Feb-19 22:49:55

Definitely do not be a people pleaser. I’m much better at standing up for myself now. Enjoy your children while they’re young - the time passes so quickly.