Gransnet forums

Site stuff

The site is driving me mad!

(154 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

DaisyAnne Thu 13-Oct-22 12:51:59

Every time I type a post, I move from the message box to check it out and hit an advert which takes over and directs me elsewhere.

I'm too fed up to continue at the moment, but I will try and post this before the clutter gets me.

Callistemon21 Thu 13-Oct-22 13:00:08

All kinds of odd things are happening and the 'techie guys' must be on holiday or on strike.

DaisyAnne Thu 13-Oct-22 13:10:43

It certainly feels like that Callistemon

Ailsa43 Thu 13-Oct-22 13:59:54

I have an Adblocker installed I don't get any adverts on this site..

kittylester Thu 13-Oct-22 14:06:04

I have an adblocker installed and I get the ads on my phone

NotSpaghetti Sat 15-Oct-22 06:44:58

I have cancelled my cookies and the annoying pop-ups have gone as I type. I did have to reject all the options again though.
Just tap on the "lock" image next to the address bar and clear cookies option should appear.

NotSpaghetti Sat 15-Oct-22 06:49:30

I'm wrong! They are BACK - but not on this thread...

NotSpaghetti Sat 15-Oct-22 06:53:28

Yes. Even on this thread now
I can't see what I'm typing now @gransnet - what can we do??

Mizuna Sat 15-Oct-22 07:30:19

Come on GNHQ, sort these pop-ups, they're just a nuisance.

BlueBelle Sat 15-Oct-22 07:39:58

I m on an iPad I presume apple block them for me as I don’t get any moving adverts or pop ups at all

M0nica Sat 15-Oct-22 07:41:16

I am another with an Ad Blocker. They are easy peasy to install and save me so much hassle.

Callistemon21 Sat 15-Oct-22 08:51:25

It's not easy to install on a Samsung tablet, M0nica
I thought I'd installed it a few times but the adverts reappear. Trying to install it again and nothing happens, it reverts back to 'Install Adblock' constantly.

Good grief - do I really want to gallop around wearing a cardboard box modelled to look like a shiny red aeroplane? Go Away!
I'm fed up of these old, out-of-date adverts and videos appearing.

Shinamae Sat 15-Oct-22 08:53:34

BlueBelle

I m on an iPad I presume apple block them for me as I don’t get any moving adverts or pop ups at all

And me..

Callistemon21 Sat 15-Oct-22 08:56:26

I might have to think about changing.

NotSpaghetti Sat 15-Oct-22 10:03:43

Mine only started today yet others have had them for days it seems.
I have an ad-blocker too.

Oldbat1 Sat 15-Oct-22 10:08:26

Wish some tech person would stop these ads

henetha Sat 15-Oct-22 10:12:52

Why is GN doing this? Have we been told? These blooming ads are really annoying.

CassieJ Sat 15-Oct-22 10:30:03

They are really annoying me too!! Get rid of them!

Ad blocker restricts the use of other sites. Too many sites now realise you are using ad blocker, so you have to unblock it before you can access the site.

Jackiest Sat 15-Oct-22 11:34:31

Use more than one web browser. one that blocks ads and one that dosn't. Try Brave it blocks ads and removes tracking cookies as well.

JackyB Sat 15-Oct-22 14:00:55

So far today I haven't had any of those annoying videos in the bottom right hand corner. The screen is obliterated enough as it is with ads.

Fingers crossed they have got rid of the stupid things. I closed them before I looked at them so I have no idea what they were for. Totally counterproductive.

I had the problem of hitting the wrong button when an ad suddenly popped in the screen, too, and have lost some really long posts through that. Was very frustrating!

NotSpaghetti Sat 15-Oct-22 14:06:17

@Gransnet - please can you fix this?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 15-Oct-22 14:08:04

Are you all reporting your own posts? There’s a space for telling them why.

Although as it’s a weekend they probably won’t get answered.

Callistemon21 Sat 15-Oct-22 14:20:22

Oopsadaisy1

Are you all reporting your own posts? There’s a space for telling them why.

Although as it’s a weekend they probably won’t get answered.

GNHQ are aware.

They don't seem to think there's a problem, that old, intrusive videos telling us the vaccine roll-out is about to begin, that Rishi is announcing furlough, how to cope with home-schooling are fine, it's a GNHQ trial.

Trial it certainly is - and do they think we're doddery old numpties who don't realise we're on the third Chancellor since Rishi?

What are they thinking?

NotAGran55 Sat 15-Oct-22 18:48:05

No problem on my iPad either.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 15-Oct-22 18:56:53

I would think that if they saw the pic that *Notspaghetti’ posted they might do something about it.

I don’t get any ads on my iPad either, but I sympathise with those who can’t stop them popping up.