Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Unwanted gransnet videos.

(167 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

eazybee Mon 10-Oct-22 14:56:26

Is anyone else's screen infested with 'Gransnet videos', the current one called Am I Being Unreasonable? concerning a wedding? I have reported it.

crazyH Mon 10-Oct-22 22:40:08

No ads on my iPad

Chestnut Mon 10-Oct-22 23:15:35

This sounds almost psychedelic! Can't anyone do a screenshot so we can see what you're talking about? ?

Doodledog Mon 10-Oct-22 23:45:20

I have adjusted something on my popup blocker (I use Safari and AdBlock) and the result is that whenever I open a new page a window pops up with the text from the page in it. This has never happened before. I say 'whenever', but it's not - it happens frequently but not every time.

I have been back into AdBlock, but can't see anything different, but it's just happened since I opened it to see if I could tick anything to stop the blessed videos (I can't - they are still there!)

If anyone can deduce what I've done, I'd be grateful if you could let me know, please?

Doodledog Mon 10-Oct-22 23:49:14

This is what it looks like (a page from GN after I searched for a topic and clicked on the result of the search). It's the first post on a thread I started a while ago.

nanna8 Mon 10-Oct-22 23:53:19

The iPad is ok but not the phone so I don’t look at gransnet when I am out and only have the phone with me.

Rosie51 Mon 10-Oct-22 23:56:42

If the videos don't stop, I shall. So annoying. I can just about cope with the small one bottom right of my laptop screen, but the ones in the middle of the page in a thread........

glammanana Tue 11-Oct-22 00:35:53

These video's are not what I want to see when reading posts.

Su22 Tue 11-Oct-22 08:17:01

mumofmadboys

The ads are putting me off reading Gransnet

Same here really putting me off reading postings sad

henetha Tue 11-Oct-22 09:51:37

Mine's started this morning. So annoying! Whoever thought this was a good idea should think again. It's going to have the opposite effect to what they want.

toscalily Tue 11-Oct-22 10:25:35

Just logged on. and they are still there. Please GN do something about this, it is most distracting when reading a thread to have these large adverts pop up in the middle. I think it must be even worse for those with certain eyesight problems.

Septimia Tue 11-Oct-22 10:52:32

You can 'lose' the ad at the bottom right of the screen by clicking the cross in a circle at the top right of it. Of course, it comes back on the next thread you read.

Similarly you can stop the video playing, temporarily, by clicking on the picture (mind you don't click on any of the symbols). It's still there, but is marginally less irritating if there's no movement.

blossom14 Tue 11-Oct-22 10:56:44

I really don't see why we have to have video adverts both in the middle of threads and on the lower righthand side. I will be leaving this site if it continues. Do advertiseres have no idea how annoying it is? Surely this is not there aim 'to really p** everone off.'

Smileless2012 Tue 11-Oct-22 10:57:28

They're extremely annoying and spoiling my GN experienceangry.

PinkCosmos Tue 11-Oct-22 11:15:18

I have only noticed it this week. It is annoying and I would rather it wasn't coming up

Chestnut Wed 12-Oct-22 10:24:36

Just install AdBlock and you won't get them or any ads. Problem solved.

FannyCornforth Wed 12-Oct-22 10:43:33

Getting them for the first time this morning. (iPhone)
I now understand why everyone is so irritated! ?
Chestnut I’ve tried to install Adblock and other similar things, to no avail.
(Chestnut ? I’ve just remembered that I need to get in contact with you - sorry! smile)

FannyCornforth Wed 12-Oct-22 10:54:03

LilyGransnet

Hi all

Just to say, thanks for your feedback - we will be discussing it and will get back to you as soon as possible.

If GN has managed to get new advertisers, which must be the case, I doubt if the annoying will be going anywhere soon.

I noticed that there was recently a Mumsnet Insight questionnaire on the over 50s, their working circumstances and financial status.
I thought at the time that it was to show to potential clients and drum up business. (I don’t know how this sort of things works, but you get my gist)

When the nearly new ‘Benefits’ forum disappeared, a very wise poster reckoned that it was it make GN a more attractive prospect for advertisers. GNetters need to be seen as prosperous.

I suppose that we should be pleased and grateful that GN is still here in ‘the current climate’

glammanana Wed 12-Oct-22 10:54:30

eazybee

One is appearing in the middle of this thread now on my laptop, and there is another very annoying one in the bottom left hand corner.

Same here again today it is really getting too much hope it stops soon or I will consider not posting until it stops.

FannyCornforth Wed 12-Oct-22 10:56:01

Ha! I see that my beloved LBC are advertising. Our Shelagh has just made an appearance

FannyCornforth Wed 12-Oct-22 10:57:52

Doodledog I’ve had exactly the same problems with Adblock. I’ve tried to install it at least three times

FannyCornforth Wed 12-Oct-22 11:02:33

The adverts for Mumsnet are the worst
What do you want from us?
To be on two sites of your sites at once?
It’s very full on, and not very nice

Yammy Wed 12-Oct-22 11:54:57

Su22

mumofmadboys

The ads are putting me off reading Gransnet

Same here really putting me off reading postings sad

They are still there today and popping up in very inappropriate places and sad posts. How do we complain?

eazybee Wed 12-Oct-22 11:56:52

Apparently it is being discussed.
I don't want it discussed, I want it (them) removed.
Now.

FannyCornforth Wed 12-Oct-22 12:08:05

I can’t see that happening eazybee
They’ve already been paid for.

Esspee Wed 12-Oct-22 12:29:59

I had no idea what this thread was about until now. I was contributing to a thread and these videos kept appearing over the post I was typing. It is doing the same thing now.
Every time I close one another pops up.
No way will I put up with that.