Gransnet forums

Site stuff

What's wrong with posting about 1st World problems

(62 Posts)
Vintagejazz Thu 14-Apr-22 09:49:17

I hope this doesn't count as a thread about a thread, because it's something I've seen on lots of threads recently.
But why do people think it's OK to come on and admonish people for posting about something relatively trivial 'because there's a war in Ukraine/the cost of living has shot up/we've been through two weeks of Covid.

Yes all of those things are serious issues with devastating consequences for some people.

But surely we're also allowed have a moan about some of the everyday annoyances of life?

Also the rude 'have you nothing else to worry about OP'? I am sure, like me, posters often come on here when they're emotionally drained and just want a bit of distraction and normality. Just because you feel like discussing one thing, doesn't mean you don't also have much bigger things on your mind.

Marydoll Thu 14-Apr-22 09:52:36

I agree with your post, Vintagejazz. Sometimes we just need to vent our frustrations.

JaneJudge Thu 14-Apr-22 09:55:42

I've not seen it much on here in all honesty

Chewbacca Thu 14-Apr-22 09:57:44

I agree with you Vintage but I'm supposing that some people are possibly so worried, upset and frightened by the international events of the last couple of years that they're single mindedly focusing on that and have stopped sweating the small stuff. Personally speaking, it's the small stuff that's keeping me going these days!

Redhead56 Thu 14-Apr-22 09:59:31

Sometimes we have things that irritate us annoy or upset us we don’t want to trouble our loved ones. Therefore our friends or Gransnet can be a place to turn too. It’s not that first world problems don’t concern us they really do but we all need to vent about the little things.

Grannybags Thu 14-Apr-22 10:01:41

I agree. I even miss the threads about hanging out the washing and stacking the dishwasher sometimes!

Some light relief from all the doom and gloom is welcome occasionally

timetogo2016 Thu 14-Apr-22 10:04:44

I think we also replace one issue/concern with another to try and switch off.
We all know what`s happening in the world,be it war or politics,and it can be frustrating that we can`t DO anything about it.
Gransnet is a venting forum imo.
And a very helpfull one too.

maddyone Thu 14-Apr-22 10:05:32

I agree with your post too Vintagejazz.

Davida1968 Thu 14-Apr-22 10:10:51

I agree with you Vintagejazz. And Grannybags has said exactly what I'm thinking!

Casdon Thu 14-Apr-22 10:16:03

I agree too, life’s full of large and small challenges and joys, and it’s good to discuss them. My aim from Gransnet is to learn something new every day, and it hasn’t let me down yet.

Blossoming Thu 14-Apr-22 10:32:01

I agree VintageJazz. There are plenty of threads discussing weighty matters and current affairs on the News and Politics forum.

Rosalyn69 Thu 14-Apr-22 10:46:14

I agree. So many threads turn into a political argument. More frivolity please for those amongst us that like that sort of thing.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 14-Apr-22 10:48:03

I have had a similar conversation with GrandpaGravy frequently over the last few weeks. I refuse point blank to watch any news programmes after the 6pm news, when I put my head on my pillow I want it filled with inconsequential fluff not the horrors of war, people choosing between heating & eating along with all the political shenanigans.

I am even resorting to reading a series of chic lit paperbacks which a friend gave me at the beginning of the pandemic, anything to lighten my mood and enable me to drift away from the awfulness all around.

maddyone Thu 14-Apr-22 10:56:19

Unfortunately for me I find the news on the Ukraine compelling at the moment. I wish I didn’t as it upsets me every evening.

Callistemon21 Thu 14-Apr-22 10:57:08

I agree VintageJazz

Worrying ourselves sick about word events doesn't mean we shouldn't worry about our own personal problems or seek advice.
Although some might seem trivial, I suppose they could indicate more serious underlying problems.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 14-Apr-22 11:20:00

A good vent/moan on a light hearted thread on GN, could be a saviour for some folks, especially if they live alone or do not want to worry friends and family about something.

Vintagejazz Thu 14-Apr-22 11:32:43

I also wonder how many of the people rudely asked if they have nothing else to worry about would love to respond with 'well yes actually, my mother died last month, my husband's been made redundant and my son's wife has left him'.

We don't know what's going in another poster's life, and if they want to start a thread about library opening times or kids putting their feet on bus seats that's their perogative.

Just don't bother reading it if you think it's not important enough for you.

EMMF1948 Thu 14-Apr-22 11:37:12

First World Problems is one a plethora of inane phrases trotted out to make people feel superior, nothing more than that. One can almost see the smuggness as it's typed or said!

EMMF1948 Thu 14-Apr-22 11:41:06

maddyone

Unfortunately for me I find the news on the Ukraine compelling at the moment. I wish I didn’t as it upsets me every evening.

Then don't watch it! Your watching or not watching will do nothing to alleviate the suffering there so the only one suffering is you. It's possible to keep abreast of world events without watching the ratings-seeking on the spot reports.

V3ra Thu 14-Apr-22 11:42:24

I find I get to saturation level with too much information about all the awful events in the world, and there are so many where do you start?
When does it end?

My "switch off" is to watch a couple of recorded episodes of "A Place in the Sun" and just dream for a while ?

PinkCosmos Thu 14-Apr-22 11:44:35

I agree with the OP

Charleygirl5 Thu 14-Apr-22 12:06:33

I also cannot watch the news- no doubt I will discover when the war is over but at present, I cannot face the atrocities so I am in agreement- do you prefer living in a house or a flat? One does not have to read these and it is I think very rude to make nasty comments about trivia.

FannyCornforth Thu 14-Apr-22 12:12:55

JaneJudge

I've not seen it much on here in all honesty

Nor me.

However, I have noticed a lot of threads moaning about the site. and more specifically, the contributors.

It’s what you make it.
Just get on with it and be proactive!

Lucca Thu 14-Apr-22 12:33:36

Hear hear Fanny. All these threads about thread subjects and comments like “ But why do people think it's OK to come on and admonish people for posting about something relatively trivial '”. We’ll be off again on the same route…. ENOUGH !

JaneJudge Thu 14-Apr-22 12:36:05

V3ra

I find I get to saturation level with too much information about all the awful events in the world, and there are so many where do you start?
When does it end?

My "switch off" is to watch a couple of recorded episodes of "A Place in the Sun" and just dream for a while ?

same here with a new life in the sun grin why do they always leave everything to last minute?

Jenny and John have a 2 week booking coming at 3pm and they have to convert a whole stable block into a studio ensuite, have they eft toomuch to too late <cue advert music and footage of Jenny crying in the rain and John running around like a headless chicken>