Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Wild Bison re-introduced in Kent's West Blean Woods

(66 Posts)
Elegran Wed 20-Jul-22 13:34:21

Wild Bison Now Roam the UK for First Time in Thousands of Years

gizmodo.com/wild-bison-now-roam-the-uk-for-first-time-in-thousands-1849190075

(West Blean Woods is within the triangle formed by Canterbury, Whitstable and Herne Bay)

LilyoftheValley Wed 20-Jul-22 13:35:44

Wonderful idea. I just hope they do not become targets for cranks with a gun.

Elegran Wed 20-Jul-22 13:38:00

There are lots of steaks in a bison. As food prices continue to rise, some people could be tempted.

AGAA4 Wed 20-Jul-22 13:59:12

This sounds good but there have always been poachers.

Smileless2012 Wed 20-Jul-22 14:03:36

Aren't they magnificent.

Jaxjacky Wed 20-Jul-22 14:13:37

That’s interesting, thank you I didn’t know.

Katie59 Wed 20-Jul-22 14:31:02

It’ll be fine if they stay where they are put, when they stray into your garden they won’t be popular, they are also very dangerous, bulls are aggressive, cows are worse protecting their calves

MissAdventure Wed 20-Jul-22 14:41:37

They're huge, muscular creatures! shock
I hope they stay in Kent.

Elegran Wed 20-Jul-22 14:56:48

From Google Maps Satellite view, that triangle seems to be pretty wild country. A lot of deep woodland and heath, with few roads or trails through it. Hardly any gardens until you reach the suburbs of Canterbury, Whitstable and Herne Bay. I asume they did their research and consultations before re-introducing them, and they will doubtless be very closely monitored.

MissAdventure Wed 20-Jul-22 15:52:03

I think there is (or was) talk of reintroducing wolves, too.

Chestnut Wed 20-Jul-22 15:57:48

Lovely idea but having them roam wild could put lives at risk surely? We are such a crowded country there are few places which are not within reach of residential areas. Once they roam.....they roam!

MissAdventure Wed 20-Jul-22 15:59:07

Oh, give me a home, where the buffalo roam.. (similar enough)

Chestnut Wed 20-Jul-22 16:02:36

There is an upmarket organic farm in North Wales that keeps bison and sells bison meat. Scroll down for a video showing the bison!
rhug.co.uk/

Chestnut Wed 20-Jul-22 16:05:44

I love the way it says 'for the first time in thousands of years'. The UK is a very different place now!!! It will be dinosaurs next, then they can say 'for the first time in millions of years'. ?

Callistemon21 Wed 20-Jul-22 16:09:00

What happens when the herd increases?

We have enough problems with wild boar near here!

AreWeThereYet Wed 20-Jul-22 16:24:58

Sorry I actually think it's ridiculous introducing animals that size into this country now. There are no great empty areas for them to roam in - wherever they go they will be a problem and they won't be easy to control either. I have no problem with the reintroduction of a variety of birds, otters, beavers, insects, etc to help get the ecosystem back in balance but I don't know what the benefits are of having bison in England - can anyone enlighten me?

Prentice Wed 20-Jul-22 19:18:33

Chestnut

I love the way it says 'for the first time in thousands of years'. The UK is a very different place now!!! It will be dinosaurs next, then they can say 'for the first time in millions of years'. ?

Wolves and bears to be next? Wild cats?
If you go down to the woods today you’d better take a gun.
Teddy bears would be acceptable though.

crazyH Wed 20-Jul-22 19:25:27

What a magnicent animal - the Bison !!

MerylStreep Wed 20-Jul-22 19:27:31

They are fenced into an area.

VioletSky Wed 20-Jul-22 19:30:29

I think it's fantastic

Can we also have wolves and red squirrels back lol

Callistemon21 Wed 20-Jul-22 20:18:01

MerylStreep

They are fenced into an area.

I was wondering if there were electric fences.

The wild boar roam everywhere.

giulia Wed 20-Jul-22 20:34:39

Callistemon21

Callistemon21 Where are you located? Italy? We have enormous problems with wild boar here.

Chestnut Thu 21-Jul-22 09:42:48

Callistemon21

For some reason that phrase about the herd makes me laugh every time I see it. ?

henetha Thu 21-Jul-22 09:48:43

I'm all in favour of re-introducing wild animals, providing it's done with safety in mind, which I'm sure it is.

Chestnut Thu 21-Jul-22 10:07:33

Red squirrels......ah if only.....?

Imagine walking in the park and seeing reds instead of greys, what a wonderful thing that would be.

We went to a forest in North Wales where red squirrels lived, very excited. A sign said 'We hope you enjoy your walk in this forest home of the native red squirrel. Please let us know if you see one' ?