Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Eggs: Why don’t birds need to breathe in them…..or do they?

(6 Posts)
MayBee70 Sun 17-Apr-22 21:33:03

Just been watching Countryfile and it showed a lady opening up a duck egg showing the duckling inside which was just about to hatch. And it just crossed my mind that there’s no oxygen in the egg and there’s obviously no umbilical chord so where does the bird get oxygen from? It’s something that has never crossed my mind before….

aggie Sun 17-Apr-22 21:36:23

There is a cord to the yolk I think , that’s how they grow

Katie59 Sun 17-Apr-22 21:46:03

It’s complicated but they do get oxygen through the shell, eggs need plenty of ventilation when they are incubated.

Antonia Sun 17-Apr-22 22:07:01

www.scientificamerican.com/article/bring-science-home-chick-breathe-inside-shell/#:~:text=Directly%20under%20the%20chicken%20egg's,that%20is%20filled%20with%20oxygen.

This is how it's done.

MayBee70 Mon 18-Apr-22 00:02:05

Thanks.Light bulb moment. Is that why I check if eggs are no longer fresh enough to use by putting them in water and if they float to the top I don’t use them? I can’t believe that I’ve never wondered about this before.

Katie59 Mon 18-Apr-22 08:17:15

We used to do that when we had our own backyard chickens, when we sent the children out to collect the eggs, sometimes an egg that had been “hidden” for a few months was gathered.

Having a rotten egg explode in the kitchen is not good, now we buy eggs and I havn’t had a bad one in 10yrs plus.