Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

LOSS OF BEES WOULD BE CATASTROPHIC

(22 Posts)
Sparklefizz Fri 11-Feb-22 17:49:47

After all the information we have been given about protecting our bees, I am incredulous to learn that pesticides are going to be used. Are we determined to throw ourselves headlong into catastrophe?

Please sign this Greenpeace petition if you agree.

action.greenpeace.org.uk/l/854853/2021-04-21/qskyq?source=FB&subsource=NBRENAPEFB04TT&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bees+Responsive+2021+(Pardot+version)++PE+20210421&fbclid=IwAR1DZlWB0mgG7cKPqDP2r6jivYekAWdfrdYyUOMG25vhmgMh1bcR6xlkGGo

Shinamae Fri 11-Feb-22 17:52:54

It really is unbelievable, signed and shared ??

Juliet27 Fri 11-Feb-22 17:59:00

Signed and shared

HettyBetty Fri 11-Feb-22 18:05:12

Will sign and share. Bees are vital to our survival. We had a bumblebee in a sunny patch of our garden today, investigating the snowdrops.

Hetty58 Fri 11-Feb-22 18:07:32

Sparklefizz, thanks, signed and shared!

Chestnut Fri 11-Feb-22 18:09:49

I've signed and shared. I thought everyone knew how important bees are but apparently not. Total insanity.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Feb-22 18:10:02

It’s unbelievable that we have to sign a blooming petition about this.
We really are doomed sad

ElaineI Fri 11-Feb-22 18:10:40

Signed and shared!

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Feb-22 18:11:53

Or perhaps not. Personally I think that we humans need to be wiped out, and the rest of nature can get on with it

vegansrock Fri 11-Feb-22 18:13:55

Brexit bonus - getting rid of regulations.

HettyBetty Fri 11-Feb-22 21:13:07

FannyCornforth sadly you are absolutely right. We have messed up the planet for so many species, then think we have a right to stay. Nature would be so much better without us although it would be sensible to try to increase numbers of endangered species before we go.

Grannybags Fri 11-Feb-22 21:23:53

Signed

Kali2 Fri 11-Feb-22 21:30:16

signed and shared.

If the bees go, we go.

Now we are free of EU regulations and standards- hurrah.

We can pour sewage and chemicals in all our waterways, and kill all the bees and insects- BRAVO.

Coastpath Fri 11-Feb-22 21:35:21

This is such a beef headed, backwards step happening as a direct result of Brexit.

Sparklefizz Sat 12-Feb-22 09:34:56

Thanks everyone for signing.
My daughter's boyfriend has bought her a beehive plus 10,000 bees and full beekeeper's outfit, also a book on bee-keeping, to be delivered in the Spring.

Sarnia Sat 12-Feb-22 11:22:50

Signed. Bees are amazing and vital pollinators. Other GN's have mentioned Brexit allowing the UK to use chemicals etc banned under the EU. They may be right. To digress a little my son who works in hospitality had a mouse infestation in one of their restaurants which had been closed for a while due to Covid. The pest control used a method previously banned as we were part of the EU. When my son queried this he was told they were all doing it now we have left.

Callistemon21 Sat 12-Feb-22 11:54:39

This is rather disingenuous because, in fact, the EU also permitted the *emergency use of neonicotinoids so it has nothing to do with Brexit. They have been used across the EU.

I agree that their use should be extremely controlled and limited, and they should be used rarely in extreme circumstances not as routine.

Bees should be protected and encouraged and yes, crops will fail if they and other pollinators decrease in numbers. However, if pests proliferate, there may be no crops at all.

Callistemon21 Sat 12-Feb-22 11:56:27

vegansrock

No, I will try to link.

www.efsa.europa.eu/en/news/neonicotinoids-efsa-assesses-emergency-uses-sugar-beet-202021

MaizieD Sat 12-Feb-22 12:00:58

Callistemon21

vegansrock

No, I will try to link.

www.efsa.europa.eu/en/news/neonicotinoids-efsa-assesses-emergency-uses-sugar-beet-202021

We had a lot of discussion about this a while ago when the news first broke.

The big worry is that now we have left the EU a 'temporary' emergency permission will become permanent in the UK.

I've signed.

Callistemon21 Sat 12-Feb-22 12:03:57

Bee-killing neonicotinoids have been banned across Europe since 2013, but the UK government has just approved these deadly chemicals for emergency use

That part of the petition is untrue.

From my link (I know some posters don't like links):
EFSA has completed its assessments of emergency authorisations granted by 11 EU Member States for the use of neonicotinoid-based insecticides on sugar beet in 2020 and 2021.
The assessments cover 17 emergency authorisations for plant protection products containing clothianidin, imidacloprid, thiamethoxam and thiacloprid granted by Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia and Spain.
In 2020 the European Commission asked EFSA to assess whether the emergency authorisations granted by the Member States were justified because there was a danger to crops “which cannot be contained by any other reasonable means”, in line with the EU Plant Protection Products Regulation.

EFSA has concluded that in all 17 cases the emergency authorisations were justified, either because no alternative products or methods – chemical or non-chemical – were available or because there was a risk that the pest could become resistant to available alternative products.

So the petition needs to be sent to the UK Government and to the European Commission too.

Shandy57 Sat 12-Feb-22 12:06:26

I read a book called The History of Bees by Maja Lunde.
One of the stories was set in the future and hundreds of workers had to hand pollinate the fruit trees every day. Not so far fetched, I can see it happening.

Callistemon21 Sat 12-Feb-22 12:06:49

The big worry is that now we have left the EU a 'temporary' emergency permission will become permanent in the UK.

There is that worry, yes.

I'm not sure about the petition in its present form - as it contains inaccuracies, as I pointed out, it will probably be rejected out of hand.
It needs to be amended.

We all need to do our best to encourage pollinators.