Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

bumble bee in winter

(9 Posts)
giulia Sat 22-Jan-22 11:09:18

We have been having a daily visit to my lovely clump of white hellebore from a jolly bumblebee since just before Christmas (when I brought the pot home). He would dive at the flowers with great glee, rubbing himself around the stamens enthusiastically. He also enjoyed my cyclamen - but with greater decorum.

We realised this is very unusual in midwinter. We named him Tommy and looked out for him every day. Since a few days ago no sign. I looked up life span and found out they live around 28 days. On the other hand, they are supposed to die end autumn.

Have we been blessed with an exceptional phenonemon or is the climate change affecting these delightful creatures too?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 22-Jan-22 11:25:50

Bet she is a buff tailed bumble?

giulia Sat 22-Jan-22 20:08:30

Think so. You say "she"?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 22-Jan-22 20:18:21

Well I think the buff tails you see this time of year are either mated queens or workers. But it needs checking I have been known to get things wrong????

Coastpath Sat 22-Jan-22 20:37:32

We have seen several bees (or one bee several times) in our garden over the last month. We didn't dead head or pull anything up at the end of the season to leave seeds and shelter for wildlife and are amazed at the result. We've had birds visiting the seed heads, especially one wren who hops about every day stuffing his little beak and flocks of goldfinches all over the Verbena bonariensis.

Up until the frosts last week we had nasturtium, nicotiana and a foxglove in full bloom! I've never seen that before. I suppose this might be climate change, a microclimate or just because we left everything to do its own thing.

Shandy57 Sat 22-Jan-22 20:45:30

I am very worried about bees. I read a book by Maja Lunde, 'The History of Bees'. One of the chapters is set in the future, where people had to pollenate the fruit trees daily. I am glad people now know how necessary bees are, and hope the government will stop the use of all pesticides.

I cleaned my car out today and unfortunately disturbed a hibernating lady bird. I placed him carefully in a sheltered spot in the hawthorn hedge, hope he goes to sleep again until the spring.

Aldom Sat 22-Jan-22 20:51:38

I have a bee living in my garden. I first noticed it in the helibore. The weather at the time was mild and since it turned cold I assume the bee would have died. But yesterday when the weather was extremely cold there it was again, this time in the herbaceous border. I too have not cut back the plants in order to provide food and shelter for wildlife.

Lincslass Sat 22-Jan-22 22:22:09

Buff tail bees are around in the winter, haven’t seen any though. www.bumblebeeconservation.org/winter-active-bumblebees/

giulia Sun 23-Jan-22 09:05:59

Aldom

I have a bee living in my garden. I first noticed it in the helibore. The weather at the time was mild and since it turned cold I assume the bee would have died. But yesterday when the weather was extremely cold there it was again, this time in the herbaceous border. I too have not cut back the plants in order to provide food and shelter for wildlife.

They seem to love hellebore! That's what I noticed. Maybe, if we all planted these Christmas roses in our gardens the bee population might have a better chance of survival through the winter.