Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Identity Fraud

(7 Posts)
NickiW Wed 07-Feb-24 09:51:11

I’m putting this on here as a bit of a warning, advice.
My husband recently received a letter from the company that deals with the financing of our motor insurance (we pay monthly). There were 3 policies-originally we thought they were for his work van, my car and his Landrover - but when we looked at the amounts and the start dates, they didn’t tie in. So he phoned the insurer. They were fraudulent. Someone had got hold of his name and address, bank account details, set up 3 insurance policies, to be paid monthly. My husband had to notify the credit company that they were fraudulent, check that his own motor insurance credit policies were still in place, he had to contact the new insurer and let them know that the policies they’d set up in his name were fraudulent, and then he contacted Action Fraud. They took all the details, gave him a reference number , and then told him that it wouldn’t be dealt with by the police because it’s not viewed as a crime. If he had had money taken from his account, only then would it be a crime. Later that week, he had exactly the same thing happen again - 3 more policies set up fraudulently, same process all over again-Not a crime. I really don’t get how these people can ever be stopped from stealing people’s identity and attempting to steal money from them if the act of doing that is not seen as a crime - or am I just very old fashioned?
Advice - shred, rip into tiny pieces, anything with your personal details on. My husband thought he had - something must have slipped through somehow, and it’s been an absolute nightmare, he’s a very unhappy bunny.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 07-Feb-24 10:00:42

Some years ago we had a spate of receiving letters from insurers addressed to Asian people at our address. The address, in a very low crime area, had been used to obtain car insurance. Anyone can get hold of an address and you can’t prevent that. We always shred everything with our names on - requests from charities for money also have your details on the donation form they enclose so you have to be very careful.

Bridie22 Sat 20-Apr-24 08:01:54

Casually wondering if some of the witch spells on offer in the spam posts might work ?🤣
I could be tempted if they did !!

Georgesgran Sat 20-Apr-24 10:01:49

Another example to show that we have to be vigilant. On a recent thread, there was a definite division in those of us who took great pains to shred/burn/obliterate personal details on documents to be discarded and many who didn’t bother and didn’t see why we did!

Georgesgran Sat 20-Apr-24 10:04:46

Hopefully 🤞no money is taken NickiW but thanks for the warning. I think scamming is on the rise, despite more robust measures to defeat them being taken.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 20-Apr-24 13:18:32

Germanshepherdsmum

Some years ago we had a spate of receiving letters from insurers addressed to Asian people at our address. The address, in a very low crime area, had been used to obtain car insurance. Anyone can get hold of an address and you can’t prevent that. We always shred everything with our names on - requests from charities for money also have your details on the donation form they enclose so you have to be very careful.

That’s interesting. We had a spate of that too a few years ago. They were mostly motor insurance policies among the few we opened before sending them back (unstamped so that someone might notice). The names used were all apparently Central European rather than Asian though. We too live in a fairly low-crime area, and we too are very careful about shredding or burning anything with our details on. These things come via what are apparently known as ghost brokers, who are scamming the insurance companies, presumably.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 20-Apr-24 13:28:58

In each case I phoned the insurance company. Only one of them (an Irish one whose name I forget) was remotely interested.