Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Ovo customers, beware.

(2 Posts)
seadragon Mon 23-Oct-23 21:38:53

Sent by us to OVO energy: "We have, yesterday, been advised by one of your Call Centre staff to forward the 2 attached emails which we have received this month. In the process of complying with this advice, we have noticed the following disparities in the email addresses and the OVO logo is missing from the letter head:
(Cf '[email protected] and `OVO Energy <reply-fe91127176d047c7c-80_HTML-840162551-7208160-20@ecomms.ovoenergy.com>)
On 09/10/2023 we received the first email purporting to be from OVO advising us to change the bank details for our Direct Debit in respect of our OVO energy account. We checked with our bank and with your Call Centre. Both confirmed that the Direct Debit was already in place and active for the account mentioned in the email and that no action was required on our part. However we received a second email yesterday which again urged us to change our bank details. We rang your Call Centre a second time and not only confirmed again that no action was required by us in respect of the Direct Debit but also that OVO had last sent us an email on July 25th confirming that it had been set up. Neither of the 2 emails sent to us subsequently appeared on your system
We are concerned that:
1. both emails had the correct reference for our OVO account
2. that this is a Scam, and
3. that some of your customers may follow the instructions to alter the bank details on their accounts or
4. that some of your customers who pay by other methods may decide to to set up a Direct Debit account with the account recommended in the email'. We are still getting emails from the putative scammers even now.

Bakingmad0203 Tue 24-Oct-23 09:53:46

That’s interesting seadragon

I have received an email from Scottish Power asking me to pay £0.01 on my account which was closed in January, and the Final bill was fully paid then. Scottish Power have informed me that I will incur charges if I do not pay this.
They have also informed me that I can pay by bank transfer, cheque or by telephone. I am wondering if it’s a scam and if not, how much is it costing them to pursue this? I have no idea what the £0.01 charge is for