Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Getting a rebate for a scam website

(6 Posts)
granfromafar Wed 18-Oct-23 14:03:18

I stupidly fell for a scam website that made out it was selling Wilko products at knock-down prices. I ordered several items, including a suitcase set, with the total coming to £35. After the order was placed, I read some online comments saying it was a scam and the prices were too good to be true. After a month with nothing being delivered (obviously!) I contacted my credit card company online. Pleased to say the money was refunded by the rogue company, trading under the name Haureous, with 24 hours! So pleased. Don't hesitate to request a refund if this should happen to you. I won't be duped again.

welbeck Wed 18-Oct-23 14:30:58

next time, google the details before ordering.
was it them or your credit card who refunded you ?

Marydoll Wed 18-Oct-23 14:33:48

My latest pastime is watching scambait videos on You Tube.

The problem is that I now trust no-one!

Glad you got your refund.

granfromafar Wed 18-Oct-23 15:10:30

welbeck

It was the company, not the credit card who refunded. I'm not usually gullible, just a weak moment!

Marydoll Wed 18-Oct-23 15:21:13

granfromafar

welbeck

It was the company, not the credit card who refunded. I'm not usually gullible, just a weak moment!

It is easily done.

I was nearly fooled by an email recently on my secure Diocesan email account, allegedly from my Parish Priest, asking me to buy Apple gift cards.
I had just been in contact with him, but I was tired and only glanced at it. Later when I read it, I realised that the language was so flowery and he would never do that, so reported it.
Very few people know that address, so they were very clever to find it.

welbeck Wed 18-Oct-23 19:01:32

that's a common scam, usually purporting to be from one's boss, who needs the gift cards in a hurry, for a presentation or some such.