Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Incentives to give a five star review

(8 Posts)
vickymeldrew Tue 03-Oct-23 17:30:37

I am currently staying for a few days in a modest hotel on the Isle of Wight.
When choosing where to stay, I looked closely at the reviews
And was impressed by the number of top reviews this hotel had received.
However, in the reception area there is an offer to guests to “leave a five star review on any of the leading websites, and receive a free bottle of prosecco” !
This completely negates the value of any reviews left, and renders them pointless.
I have long dismissed reviews on local sites recommending builders, decorators, cleaners etc as I presume most of them are from their friends and family. I hate being so cynical, but what’s the point of reading recommendations!

NotSpaghetti Tue 03-Oct-23 19:46:09

So they post it out to you afterwards I wonder?

Primrose53 Tue 03-Oct-23 19:46:21

That is dreadful. I would leave your review including what you’ve just said on here.

We have top marks for our holiday let and they are all totally genuine. the agency only allow reviews from guests they have checked out and confirmed names, addresses, holiday dates etc.

vickymeldrew Tue 03-Oct-23 20:51:58

Just to clarify. The hotel ask you to post the 5star review on line before you leave so they can see it, and they then give you the prosecco !

CanadianGran Tue 03-Oct-23 21:12:14

Wow, I would be tempted to take a photo of the sign and attach it to my review!

CanadianGran Tue 03-Oct-23 21:20:05

Oh sorry, i just reread your post, they actually check to see if you've posted a 5 star before they hand over the wine! That's low.

I would maybe check with the hotel association, or tourism office to see if that is legal.

Primrose53 Tue 03-Oct-23 21:22:11

I have seen reviews on Trust Pilot where it has backfired on the business because people have said they were offered discounts, gifts etc to leave a great review.

bikergran Wed 04-Oct-23 17:14:23

I have heard from others some Amazon people do this as well.