Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Scary scam

(8 Posts)
Tizliz Mon 02-Oct-23 15:43:54

I was at our office today and suddenly a voice shouted out from the computer ‘do not turn your computer off, your IP address has been compromised, DO NOT TURN YOUR COMPUTER OFF, ring the number on the screen’.

I control/alt/deleted to crash out, came back in and same problem. Took several on/offs to get rid of it.

Looked up on Microsoft and they state they never ask you to ring a number.

Be ready to turn your sound down as she is noisy! Just don’t panic.

Strangely when I ran a virus check there were no problems.

Primrose53 Mon 02-Oct-23 17:12:21

I had one today which looked Totally genuine from Halifax Building Society. There were contact numbers to ring if you thought it was a scam, no spelling mistakes and looked totally professional.

I clicked on the word Halifax next to sender and it gave some dodgy email address. We don’t have a Halifax account anyway.

dotpocka Mon 02-Oct-23 17:19:08

air gap>>i you dont know it pull the plug really

Blossoming Mon 02-Oct-23 18:03:11

Tizliz it’s a browser based scam, hence the security check not finding anything. If you close your browser it will disappear. If you shut down using ctrl+alt-del with your browser still open then it will still be there when you boot up again. Clear your cache to make sure it’s not hanging around.

Tizliz Mon 02-Oct-23 21:31:08

It was Microsoft’s site which said to use control / alt / delete.

Gone now but was most strange.

Blossoming Mon 02-Oct-23 21:43:31

Oh. I didn’t mean you were wrong to do that, just wanted to explain why it was still there when you went back in.

Tizliz Thu 05-Oct-23 11:07:17

I had real problems as I turned the brightness down instead of the sound - don’t use MS very often - so I couldn’t see what I was doing and turned it on and off several times thinking it had given up completely then I realised what I had done 🙄🙄 so I didn’t know which action had sorted it

shysal Thu 05-Oct-23 12:07:08

I almost fell for this scam, until I phoned and they put me through to the 'Microsoft' fraud dept (not), who suggested that I prevented bank staff stealing from my account by transferring money to a dummy account to catch them, which of course I didn't do! I can understand why vulnerable people could be taken in, he was very convincing.
I then had notification from Barclays that unlawful payments had been detected and stopped. The Bank were amazing but it was worrying!