Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Are some people ‘asking’ to be scammed?

(3 Posts)
nandad Sat 30-Sep-23 16:12:25

Was sitting in the reception area of a hotel and a couple were waiting for their airport transfer, they started chatting to 4 people they have just met. In the space of 15 minutes they told them their names, where they lived, their health conditions, their 2 dogs breeds and names, the husband’s siblings health conditions as well as their names. The wife had had an implant to monitor her diabetes and when one of the people asked her about it the wife offered to email her details. The husband then moved onto another couple and gave them other personal information. If I had been a scammer I have no doubt the amount of information this couple had revealed about themselves in a public place would be enough for me to probably con them out of their savings. We have seen this before when a woman in Next gave out her credit card details over the phone!
Why do people not realise how little information is actually required for them to be scammed?

AGAA4 Sat 30-Sep-23 16:20:42

I sat in front of a woman on the train who said I quite a loud voice. "Just let me get my card" then proceeded to give her credit card details with the security number. I just hope all the people who could hear her were honest.

Caravansera Sat 30-Sep-23 16:36:39

Not really. I could tell you my name is Ann, that I live in Manchester, have migraines, have a poodle and a mongrel called Fifi and Fred and that my email address is [email protected]. (None of this is true by the way). How are you going to scam me?

Shouting out credit card numbers in public isn’t wise but most providers now use two-step authentification or have other security measures in place so even that is unlikely to result in a scam.