Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Is this a fraud?

(15 Posts)
ExDancer Tue 18-Jul-23 09:35:55

Your M C A F E - subscription Might Expire Very Soon!

This dropped into my email box this morning in big RED letters - do I just ignore it?
Its followed by a long screed about the dangers of not having an anti virus programme.
I know I have some kind of protection programme which my son put on for me but don't know how to check.

ParlorGames Tue 18-Jul-23 09:41:04

Ask your son which security protection he installed....I regularly get the same alert from McAfee but I don't have that particular one so I know its a scam

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 18-Jul-23 09:45:08

I would ignore it , but to check where the email came from, click on the senders address, if it is from McAfee ( they will send you a renewal email with your personal reference number on it, Not in Red!) their address will be on it, often it’s just a name, so a scam, just delete it

fancythat Tue 18-Jul-23 09:46:04

That one regualrly comes up in my junk mail.
I wouldnt press anything of it for now. Probably not ever.

As ParlorGames advises, speak with your son.

25Avalon Tue 18-Jul-23 09:48:01

I get these a lot., usually filtered into my Spam folder by the server. I just delete them. Do check with your son for further reassurance. These scammers are despicable. I am constantly getting ones purporting to come from big companies such as Tesco telling me I’ve won a prize or there is a super award awaiting me.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 18-Jul-23 09:49:47

It’s a scam. Note the mis-spelling of McAfee. I get these regularly. Delete it.

GoldenLady Sun 13-Aug-23 15:35:50

My home warranty and car warranty are "expiring" several times a week, according to my mail. Of course all these "expiring" notices are scams; don't open them. If you are not sure, call your insurance company, bank, or whoever, and ask them yourself. When you are the one initiating the call, you know you are reaching the genuine party.

But I wouldn't even waste time. As far as I know. these notices are always fake.

BlueBelle Sun 13-Aug-23 16:29:40

It’s a scam I get them too
Check the email address they re usually gobbledegook

Katie59 Sun 13-Aug-23 16:43:36

There are many other scams, ignore them all, phone calls too unless you have a direct previous problem, I get several every day.

PamelaJ1 Sun 13-Aug-23 18:30:36

The postoffice has tried to deliver a parcel to us twice.
Now I have to pay £1.99 to have it re delivered!!!
We generally see our postman, have a ring device and haven’t been away.
I am expecting a delivery but that’s due next week.
Scam , scam, scam. One has to be soooo careful.

Iam64 Sun 13-Aug-23 18:36:27

I had a similar post pop up when I was reading the daily mail on line. It said click here, we have identified attempts to get into your bank details.
I googled. It was a scam

jenpax Sun 13-Aug-23 18:59:34

I get these constantly I ignore and thats that

pinkprincess Fri 22-Sep-23 21:52:39

I have just had one of these popped up on my apple laptop.
Constantly reminding me in Red letters to act now as hackers are getting my bank details
It is supposed to be from McAfee.telling me my subscription has expired.I have never installed McAfee on this laptop.
It ''advises '' you to renew by pressing a link.
If you press the link I am almost certain it will clear out whatever you have in the bank.
Do not be tempted.

LovesBach Fri 22-Sep-23 22:12:42

Every day, in the 'Spam' folder, I have warnings from McaFee that my computer is in danger, that there are deliveries waiting for me - usually I have 'won' a Ninja air fryer, and that all my photos will be wiped NOW if I don't click the links. I delete them all, every day.

annsixty Fri 22-Sep-23 23:30:49

Today I am warned about my car tax being overdue with dire warnings about what will happen if I don’t renew it.
When my S passed his driving test at age 18 I gave him my car.
He is 53 now.
I get the Mcafee one one a very regular basis.