Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Scam email, "Renewal of product"

(9 Posts)
Auntieflo Tue 11-Jul-23 14:26:19

This morning I received an email, saying that payment had been received and processed, for a yearly subscription to a product that I have never had, or even heard of.
The amount of £350.00 was shown, so I logged onto my bank and could see no withdrawals. Then I phoned my bank, and eventually spoke to a person, who looked at my accounts and confirmed that no money had been taken.
Just to delete the email. For your information I am attaching a photo of the email, which is evidently some sort of scam.

Blossoming Wed 12-Jul-23 00:22:26

That’s very odd AuntieFlo

Fairislecable Wed 12-Jul-23 08:00:56

That’s strange to understand how they could profit from this.

It’s also a lot of toilet cleaner grin

Wyllow3 Wed 12-Jul-23 08:03:55

its to get you to want to buy? But shouldn'd be allowed, as it causes worry.

Marriedalongtime Wed 12-Jul-23 08:06:16

My thoughts would be that they want you to contact them saying this has been a mistake, you never bought the product and asking for a refund. They would then ask for your bank details in order to do this for you. Hence, a ‘reverse scam’

I imagine they work on the principle that not everyone will be as clever as you to ring their bank and some poor soul might actually fall for it. This is just my take on this…….

dragonfly46 Wed 12-Jul-23 08:11:42

Apparently it is a scam as there are other people who have received this.

MerylStreep Wed 12-Jul-23 08:12:51

I get an email from O2 every week thanking me for my payment. Obviously I’m not with O2.

Wyllow3 Wed 12-Jul-23 08:13:24

I must admit tho it smelt like a scan, I would have checked my bank statement. Oh, it makes me so angry.

Grantanow Wed 12-Jul-23 12:10:43

I get badgered by so-called home insulation advisors. I usually tell them to re-arrange a well known phrase or saying.