Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Failed delivery scam

(21 Posts)
DaisyL Sun 25-Jun-23 11:01:39

Most people may be aware of this but I have had three emails recently supposedly from a delivery companies letting me know that they have been unable to deliver a package. I probably wouldn't have realised the first one was fake, but the message said that no one was at home and I had been home all day. I checked the email address and it was obviously bogus, so I deleted it but I have now had two more from two different companies telling me I have to reschedule!!! They want me to pay 99p - sounds reasonable but will of course give them access to my credit card!

nanna8 Sun 25-Jun-23 11:05:13

We get the same thing here in Australia. I just wish someone would catch the horrible people and put them away for a long,long time.

SachaMac Sun 25-Jun-23 11:19:57

I’ve had these too, it could be quite easy to fall for it if you are actually expecting a parcel. There’s also a ‘your ‘I Cloud storage is full’ one telling you that you need to buy more space. Several times a week there seems to be phone calls or e mails from scammers, it’s sickening as many people must get sucked in.

Shinamae Sun 25-Jun-23 11:21:58

I get about three a day..🤷‍♀️

geeljay Sun 25-Jun-23 11:23:07

I've recently had a couple of these attempts. They left a card to say "call this number etc.. but I was in all day. Scammers!

Athrawes Sun 25-Jun-23 11:25:19

It seems a trend at the moment. I've had a couple of these too but they had nothing to do with what I'd actually ordered from a company I used so I deleted them

Shinamae Sun 25-Jun-23 11:49:32

Shinamae

This…example

Greenfinch Sun 25-Jun-23 11:52:57

I got one with a photo of the parcel which was awaiting delivery but as I could see neither the address nor the sender I knew it was bogus.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 25-Jun-23 11:56:49

We all get these, and there is precious little you can do about them other than deleting them unread, and preferably to a phishing folder, although I myself doubt than anyone ever follows up on the scammers reported in this way.

There must be a lot of people who never read the sender's e-mail address, as these are all clearly bogus, so even if you were expecting a delivery, there is no reason to fall for these scams.

rockgran Sun 25-Jun-23 12:08:43

The iCloud storage one is probably true - if you use it. The free 5GB doesn't go far and then they hound you to upgrade.

MerylStreep Sun 25-Jun-23 12:13:55

Shinamae

Buy a whistle 😡
I haven’t had a scam call for years.

Shinamae Sun 25-Jun-23 12:26:22

Why are you angry at me?
They are not calls they are emails!

MerylStreep Sun 25-Jun-23 12:29:38

Shinamae
I’m not angry at you 😂
The post before your one mentioned calls. That’s what I thought you were getting.
My anger is directed at the scum who con/ frighten people.

SachaMac Sun 25-Jun-23 12:49:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shinamae Sun 25-Jun-23 13:15:12

MerylStreep

Shinamae
I’m not angry at you 😂
The post before your one mentioned calls. That’s what I thought you were getting.
My anger is directed at the scum who con/ frighten people.

Ok sorry, I misunderstood. 😁

tiredoldwoman Wed 06-Dec-23 17:43:36

I got this scam today ( we couldn't deliver your parcel , please pay £1.49 for a rescheduled delivery ) but half an hour later my real delivery came . I told the lovely courier what had happened and she said it was a scam . Scary stuff at a stressful time of year !

Kim19 Wed 06-Dec-23 18:55:43

Never pay a supplementary fee for delivery. It's definitely a scam and, as you so rightly say, the offenders would have your card details. I nearly fell into this trap a few years ago but a quick call to my bank, cancellation and replacement of card certainly saved the day. A trader would never allow a courier to deal direct with a client.

Dinahmo Wed 06-Dec-23 19:10:54

Some of the emails do ask you to call. However, for anyone who is';t aware, if you use your curser to hover over the email address you will soon see that it's bogus. If you can't see the email address then don't open it. Just delete it immediately.

Unfortunately somehow my email address and name has got onto the dark web and so I get up to 80 emails a day. I tried blocking them but that doesn't really work because they just change the address. So I just report them en bloc.

One day recently I had 3 emails all with the same subject and each one from a different address. I sometimes feel like replying, using as many swear words that I can think of but might lead to repercussions so I refrain from taking any further actions.

Mollygo Wed 06-Dec-23 19:13:40

Although I am so far delighted with Evri deliveries, I can guarantee that the minute I get an email telling me my parcel has been despatched, I will get 1 or more messages telling me I need to reschedule delivery.
All scams!

dotpocka Wed 06-Dec-23 19:29:32

sh-tty email company /have not had spam emails in decades.
telephone company and company for my wifi cyber secruity
once in a while i get phishing calls on the phone but ignore and goes away after a
couple trys .
delivery here are secured by email or snailmail

biglouis Wed 13-Dec-23 16:16:49

I keep a list of deliveries I am expecting and as they arrive I cross them off my list. Most have tracking numbers so I watch them carefully and always ensure Im listening out when the tracking shows "out with courier". I would always be suspicious of a seemingly random parcel.