Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Safety of Deposit Accounts

(8 Posts)
GeeKay Tue 06-Jun-23 10:25:16

Are UK deposit bank accounts safer from hacking attempts than standard current accounts?

Thanks in advance!

Katie59 Tue 06-Jun-23 13:01:09

A deposit account wouldn’t normally be online so should be pretty safe.
I have an online account, security is pretty tough there are 4 layers of security and a OTP code to confirm the transaction. Also any unusual activity triggers a phone call from the bank

M0nica Tue 06-Jun-23 16:32:06

Most accounts are hacked because the owner of the account gives the required information to hackers thinking they are bona fide bank employees.

If there is a wholesale hacking break in to a bank computer system, then nothing is safe if you have money in that bank.

GeeKay Wed 07-Jun-23 10:20:45

Thanks for that! I should imagine in the case of a widespread hacking attempt on a bank computing system that liability would rest with the bank, not the customer. But what do I know?

I do engage in online banking, but only to service my current account. On the last few occasions when transferring money from this account into my deposit account, I did this over the counter at my local branch rather than doing it online - and did so in each case purely out of habit, it has to be said. It's only lately I've been wondering about possible online security breaches regarding the above, hence this post.

M0nica Wed 07-Jun-23 14:34:37

The recent hacking of a service company who undertake payroll activities, shows how little you can do to protect your self. All those working for companies whose pay roll is handled by this firm have been individually contacted to ask them to pay a fine or have their personal bank details published on line.

Floradora9 Wed 07-Jun-23 21:51:27

Never look up your bank accounts online unless you are on your own WiFi .

GeeKay Sat 10-Jun-23 09:43:58

Absolutely!

Brahumbug Sun 11-Jun-23 10:57:53

Floradora9

Never look up your bank accounts online unless you are on your own WiFi .

It is safe to use a public WiFi as long as you have a VPN to prevent data theft.