Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Does anyone else think that this is deeply suspicious? Opinions much appreciated.

(19 Posts)
Rosina Sun 12-Mar-23 14:19:15

I have had several emails from an elderly ex neighbour, urging me to apply for a grant from the organisation below. She tells me that she has received £100 from them, and keeps repeating that I should apply. I've told her I wouldn't qualify, and I don't want to apply, but she keeps coming back with what looks like prepared messages from a third party urging me to click on the link, and she will then 'help' me to apply. I have looked at the link and it appears to be an American based scam with no details, addresses, phone numbers - just an announcement that it is a 'Government Department'. I've asked her if she has given details to them, and also tried to tactfully suggest that she shows this to her family, and nobody can hand out money to all who apply - and where is it coming from? It's like talking to an automaton right now - the message to 'click on the link' keeps coming back from her. Has anyone else come across this particular 'charity'?

www.facebook.com/104680755679459/posts/4722720057831390/?substory_index=4722720057831390

Sassanach512 Sun 12-Mar-23 14:27:00

It sounds like her email address has been hacked, it's so obviously a scam. Have you actually talked face to face with your neighbour? she's probably oblivious to all of this going on in her name

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 12-Mar-23 14:45:47

I haven’t clicked on the link but agree with Sassenach. It happened to one of my cousins once and I received all manner of odd emails as a result.

Rosina Sun 12-Mar-23 15:05:33

Thank you both - I hadn't thought of that, as the initial email from her sounded quite 'normal' and mentioned mutual acquaintances. However, I haven't heard from her in several years, and no longer have her address or phone number. I will continue to tell her to ignore anything further from this organisation, and also keep urging her to let her son see the details. Other than email I have no other means of communicating with her - if it is her!

Grandmabatty Sun 12-Mar-23 15:16:52

Don't reply as, if she's been hacked, you are replying to the hackers. Block her email, especially as you haven't heard from her in years anyway.

crazyH Sun 12-Mar-23 15:23:37

Scam !!!

Rosina Sun 12-Mar-23 15:42:40

This shows how easy it is to become entangled; I honestly thought that this lady was a victim, and was concerned for her, hence I clicked on the link and decided that it was exactly what I suspected, and then sent several emails encouraging her to ignore or show her family the thread. I have cancelled my account, and will re register with a new email address.
Thanks to all.

timetogo2016 Sun 12-Mar-23 15:55:36

SCAM for sure,dont reply to them,it could be costly.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Mar-23 16:03:21

Agree with others you are replying to the scammers
Glad you ve cancelled your email what’s pain it can be

Granny23 Sun 12-Mar-23 16:11:14

I had the same thing a few months ago, purporting to be from an old friend that I hear from occasionally. What gave the game away was that the message finished with a religious blessing for me!! This from a known life-long agnostic, who knows I am of the same mind. Rather than reply (or simply delete, which I did anyway) I alerted a very tech savvy, mutual friend who lives near her. He visited and sorted/reported the problem.

Elegran Sun 12-Mar-23 16:25:23

There is a Gov.UK website page called "Avoid and report internet scams and phishing " " It includes these two links (genuine!) to UK places to report suspicious emails. You might help stop the scammers by reporting it and forwarding one of their emails (plus all the headers)

" Suspicious emails
Forward the email to [email protected] .
The National Cyber Security Centre will investigate it"

Delila Sun 12-Mar-23 19:45:03

Out of interest, was it necessary for Rosina to cancel her email account? Would it have been sufficient to change her email password?

LadyStardust Sun 12-Mar-23 20:03:40

I doubt it's necessary to cancel an email account. Just block the sender of the scam emails and to be extra safe just change your password. There would be absolute chaos and inconvenience if I totally deleted my email account!!

Delila Sun 12-Mar-23 20:28:30

Yes, thankyou LadyStardust, it would be chaos here too. I’ve changed my password in the past in the very same circumstances as the OP’s, with no repercussions.

Missedout Sun 12-Mar-23 21:57:36

Did you check the address that the email came from? I have had many emails from someone who's name I know but the email address was totally wrong. Yes it's a scam but if the email address is wrong, it means that the elderly ex neighbour has not been 'hacked', only her name has been used, not her email address and password. Any further emails from the same source address should be added to the junk file for the email provider to filter out in future.

seadragon Sun 12-Mar-23 22:03:23

SCAM!!

Kalu Mon 13-Mar-23 00:06:46

I had a request for money from an old friend. When I got in touch with her we realised it was a scam and reported it.
No need to change my email account and although I am receiving, like many others, obvious scans, I have never received anything further along the lines of this type again.

nanna8 Mon 13-Mar-23 06:11:16

Hate to say it but you shouldn't be putting the link up here at all.

Shelflife Mon 13-Mar-23 10:55:38

Definitely a scam ! nanna8 you are correct the link should not have been posted here - don't open it anyone! Rosina, you post will have made many people aware of how easy it is to be taken in , well done for that. I do hope you have now been able to sort this out.