Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Government website lookalikes

(3 Posts)
AdeleJay Mon 31-Oct-22 15:42:23

I discovered that buying Vehicle tax online was a bad idea. On Friday 27/10 I inadvertently logged on to the Vehicle Information website. Before I knew it I had given my bank details & money had been taken. Of course then I was upset. confused
I rang my bank who said it was a ‘grey area’. They have stopped any future payments. I discovered that it’s a bona fide company who offer proper services. They pay search engines like Google enormous sums so that their information is first on the screen. hmm And if you look, the sites are almost identical at first glance.
I only lost a total of £8.25. But I thought this post might prevent others being similarly embarrassed. blush
I have written to the company on principle to ask for my £7.95 back - the bill for ‘continuing service’.
I can see this company would be useful to used car dealerships and the like but I can’t imagine what further service they could provide to a retired widow. But there’s so much I don’t know these days angry sad

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Oct-22 15:59:20

There are similar sites which look official, offering visas, passports, renewal of driving licence etc.

A friend got caught and paid £40 for an Australian visitors Visa which should have been free through the official site.
These firms do the work for you and that is their fee.

He is an intelligent man but it was the first time he'd applied for one and was embarrassed to have been caught like that.

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Oct-22 16:01:09

Make sure your bank details are deleted from their site too, AdeleJay.

Not always easy to do, as I found out with a respectable genealogy site!