Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Dirty rotten scammers

(8 Posts)
biglouis Fri 17-Jun-22 22:44:48

Has anyone watched this program on morning TV?

There are some very scary stories there and some heartbreaking ones too. Not all the people who fell for it were older. Some were young people who got scammed out of their deposit for a house.

It was useful for the sessions where they explain how the scammers impel you to act quickly by instilling a sense of urgency. Phrases like "act now" and "dont miss out" and "immediate".

Also useful to see how that part of the brain which we use to reason can be paralysed by fear which makes us act hastily when we are being groomed by a scammer giving instructions.

The nearest I came to losing a lot of money was when someone hacked my Paypal debit card and got access to my bank account. They got £350 and then tried for £900 but the bank blocked it. Subsequently I got the £350 back from Paypal. The scammer has used the money on a travel website. I would like to have seen their face when they turned up at the airport and were unable to travel.

However I do understand the feeling of helplessness and panic that the program makers speak of

MarilynneT33 Sat 18-Jun-22 00:56:42

Yes we watch it. It's scary how easy it can happen. We watched it the other morning and just after it finished the phone rang and a woman asked us about a car crash we had been in. We haven't been in any sort of crash and I told her politely to get lost.

biglouis Sat 18-Jun-22 13:48:21

The program said that some old people never recover from being scammed. There is a likelihood that within 3 years they will die or end up in a care home. What a horrible thought.

I diont think its just the loss of the money which may be a considerable part of their savings. It is the feeling that you can never trust anyone again. People feel guilt helplessness and self blame - especially if the money lost was in a joint account with a partner.

One of the reasons I donjt use a smart phone but keep my old dumb phone so people cant send me links. I also use a phone blocked on my land line with only close friends and family on my white list. I google all unknown calls and block most.

The harder you make it for people to get in touch with you the less likely you are to be targeted. In the same way I have no photos or personal details on my Facebook page.

midgey Sat 18-Jun-22 13:51:58

Trouble with blocking unknown numbers is that there are people trying to get in touch….maybe the doctor, surgery or hospital. These are examples of numbers that have rung me recently.

welbeck Sat 18-Jun-22 13:58:32

i agree.
i have never had a scam or marketing call since i got call guardian phones for landline.
it's really simple and not expensive. all unknown numbers are intercepted; it's like a kind of answerphone. people have to state their business which is recorded, then the phone rings and i hear that recording. i can choose to talk to them or not.
they are told to stay on the line. scammers etc don't bother.
i don't get random calls on my mobile. its 20 years old, quite basic, and i don't give out the number unless i really have to.

crazyH Sat 18-Jun-22 14:00:58

Recently, Santander informed me that someone was trying to hack into my account, but they had blocked it. That’s the nearest I have come to a scammer

AGAA4 Sat 18-Jun-22 14:02:59

It does go against the grain with me that every time the phone rings if I don't recognise the number I don't answer but check with "who called me".
I feel that I have to be alert all the time.

Teacheranne Sat 18-Jun-22 14:34:02

Sometimes the type of call blockers where people need to choose to accept the call by pressing a button etc are too complicated for elderly people or for those in the early stages of dementia.

My mum was continually being scammed over the phone and would happily give away her bank details so I did some research and bought a call blocker which required no actions from mum. It was a box which plugged into her phone line to intercept all calls other than from numbers which I input into a trusted list using my computer. Everyone else heard a message which I recorded telling them to call my mobile number if they wanted to contact mum. This meant old friends I had forgotten about or medical calls could still be dealt with but salespeople/scammers gave up. I used the highest level of security but it also offered lower levels which left the phone user some independence but Mums dementia made this high level necessary. Mum had no idea I had installed the device.

For a small annual fee, I was able to access the phone records online to see who had called and it was very interesting to see that unknown numbers dwindled quite rapidly once the blocker was in use. It was expensive, over £100 but well worth it.

If you are interested, please send me a message and I will tell you the name - I don’t think I can advertise it on here.