Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Selling on MarketPlace - new scam in place

(14 Posts)
lemsip Wed 01-Nov-23 10:32:50

* JUNE 2022 * ORIGINAL THREAD

bikergran Wed 01-Nov-23 10:18:17

FB are not interested in the least about people being scammed. My dd was scammed out of £200 it involved buying a caravan.

Yes hard lesson learned, but FB or the bank was not in the least interested or concerned.

mrbreaker Wed 01-Nov-23 09:42:34

It seems like you're referring to a common scam involving parcel couriers. It's important to stay cautious and vigilant when dealing with unsolicited calls or messages related to courier services.

AreWeThereYet Sat 11-Jun-22 17:00:29

Blimey Franbern that one is working overtime! Normally they back off quite quickly I think if it looks like they're not getting anywhere.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Jun-22 16:27:07

This one has been doing the rounds for a good long time actually yes I m sure DPD kand other parcel couriers know about it
As soon as they ask I just say no and block them
Just don’t engage as soon as someone mentions a courier

Ailidh Sat 11-Jun-22 16:22:07

I had exactly the same scam in January. It was for a low value item, a multi-cooker thing, and it was the convolutedness of the arrangement for £30 that alerts d me to the scamminess.

I gave it away in the end. (To someone else).

Franbern Sat 11-Jun-22 08:40:57

B.........y scammer has had the cheek to send me a message trying to scare me by teling me that there will be legal action against me due to cancellation of contract with DPD. Of course, I know that there was no real involvement with that company and do wonder if they know how their name is being used in this way. They will later today.....!!!

Franbern Fri 10-Jun-22 08:27:17

Finding it very difficult to find a way of reporting this scam and scammer to MarketPlace on Fb.
This b.......scammer actually had the audacity to message me saying that I would be responsible for their costs in cancelling etc. etc.
Will work hard today to find a way of reporting them on line,.

GrandmaKT Thu 09-Jun-22 21:10:17

I had about 5 people trying this trick when I sold a bike on Marketplace recently. I've sold several items previously and never had it, so it's obviously on the up at present! I just reply with a curt "No thanks"

AreWeThereYet Thu 09-Jun-22 20:50:54

Well done Franbern for being awake! This is quite an old scam. I've seen it talked about on Freecycle and Gumtree but didn't know it was still around.

Sad that the people who dream these scams up don't divert their brain cells into something a bit more positive.

pinkprincess Thu 09-Jun-22 20:45:49

I had exactly the same experience a few months ago.T he woman who rang me got very nasty when I sussed she was a scammer, I put my phone down on her and reported it to FB but nothing was done.
She lost interest in the item I was selling, just wanted access to my bank account.

Franbern Thu 09-Jun-22 14:49:08

No problem with selling it. Already have another 'proper' purchaser interested. Always ask for cash when collected.

Never had any problems in past either here in Somerset or when I was back in London.

Not worried about continuing to use MarketPlace - but was trying to warn other people who may be more trusting that I am. I was suspicious of this reply from the start, as they were willing to buy 'sight unseen'. I went along with it as I wanted to see exactly how they were attempting to defraud me. Obviously, I have stopped before they could actually do so.

sharon103 Thu 09-Jun-22 14:41:44

No way would I go through with it!
Is there any way you could sell it locally? An advert in a shop window. Local paper.
I would want the payment on collection.

Franbern Thu 09-Jun-22 14:30:20

So, I have often used MARKETPLACE to sell on no longer needed items in my home. They go on to help people not able to afford to purchase new.

Having had a kitchen re-fit, I have several such items, I always ask for a cash payment and for item to be collected.

I put up a frost free fridge - three years old but in excellent order and would really service someone well. First person back said they wanted it and would arrange for DPD to collect this and to bring with them my cash payment.

So it struck me as strange - if not suspicious. No way would DPD be willing to collect an unpacked items such as this, and the cost would be horrific - people buying on market place are looking for bargains.

I played along to see how they were going to try to get money from me.......All became clear....... Just before this transaction is supposed to happen I get a message saying that all is arranged, but as DPD have to receive an insurance payment in advance. I will need tompay over this amount to them and when they come the cash I receive will include that amount. The amount being virtually double the amount I am charging for this fridge.

Okay....I called a halt at this point - but do wonder if other people may have gone along with it. Paid out money for this insurance'(?), and then have waited in vain for anyone to come with that money for them.

Be aware, very aware - there are some nasty people out there.