Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

£150 Council Tax rebate possible scam phone call

(4 Posts)
biglouis Sat 16-Apr-22 12:44:23

Be wary!

Had a phone call today from a local number - a young chap claiming to be from my LA and wanting to "check my bank details" so they could pay in my rebate.

"ERRRM - why are you calling on a bank holiday saturday? That seems most unlike my LA."

"We have thousands of people to get through and some of us have been asked to work overtime."

"Well you already have my bank details. Nothing personal but I have no way of knowing that you really are from XX council. So I will wait til say June or July and if I havnt had my rebate by then or instructions of how to get it I will ring your department. Then I will know who I am talking to."

"Wouldn't this money be useful to you now?"

"Well Im sure there are people who need it more at this time so I suggest you go and help them."

Notice how he tried to push me by saying how much I NEEDED the rebate.

Perfectly polite young (?) man but it sounds an unlikely scenario to me. I also spoke to a relative who had a voicemail from a similar local number left to the effect that they would contact him again.

When I attempted to ring the number back it just says "this number does not accept in coming calls". Nothing on google either.

Georgesgran Sat 16-Apr-22 13:03:17

Thanks for posting - I put the same thing on The HMRC scam thread earlier - suppose I should have started a new thread.
It’s been reported in the media - Councils day they will not ask for bank details over the phone, as £150 refunds will go back into the account where the payments are made from. I think those who don’t pay by DD will be invited to re-claim. It’s taking longer than expected so scammers are jumping on the delay.

biglouis Sat 16-Apr-22 21:58:54

I dont normally answer calls from unknown numbers but I was waiting for my grocery delivery and Tesco have taken on a lot of new drivers. Some of them need to be "talked in" to find my house. Or the depot may ring to advise of a late delivery because the van has been delayed. So Id taken off the phone blocker. When the phone rang I answered "Is that Tesco?" and a voise said "No Im from X City Council. Its about your £150 Council Tax rebate ..."

Yeah, right.

nadateturbe Sat 16-Apr-22 22:05:02

Tax rebate??