Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

A chat appeared on Message from an old friend

(8 Posts)
mokryna Fri 15-Apr-22 17:32:38

I sent a peson a birthday message this morning.

She came back later on a new message and after saying hello, wonderful day etc , asked me if I was interested in GGF new program run by the government. I ask her what was she talking about, to which she said she would send the details.
I felt it was strange. I was able to contact her, it was nothing to do with her. It seems people had got into her message system.

Esspee Fri 15-Apr-22 18:31:16

Thank you for making us aware this could happen mokryna.

mokryna Fri 15-Apr-22 20:32:09

I was quite shocked

Callistemon21 Fri 15-Apr-22 21:25:28

Was this on GN, mokryna? Have you reported it?

If not, yes, I've had friends whose FB and email accounts have been hacked.

mokryna Fri 15-Apr-22 22:48:45

Facebook system of their chat/ message. Nothing to do GN. Does that mean mine has been infected even though I didn’t open the extra mail and what should I do? Thanks

Callistemon21 Fri 15-Apr-22 23:10:18

I think it's hers and you should be ok if you ddnt open it, but someone else might know more. Delete it and let her know by phone.
I have a friendly acquaintance who has been hacked more than once, we get warnings from her DD not to respond to her posts or messages.

mokryna Sat 16-Apr-22 00:14:17

Thank you. Yes, I got a message to her and she changed her code.

Framilode Sat 16-Apr-22 10:28:39

I had exactly the same on Facebook. It was someone I hadn't heard from for some time so I asked them how they were. They answered 'Good' and I immediately knew it was a scam. They then went on to tell me about some monetary benefits I could claim. I deleted them and have heard no more since.