Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Having fun with the scammers

(113 Posts)
janipans Mon 04-Apr-22 11:25:26

Sick and tired of picking up the phone to "Is that Mrs janipans? How are you today ma'am?" (I could practically write the script!)
Anyway, I decided that the longer I could keep them talking the less time they would have to annoy other people so on my last call I asked "Oh! Is that the doctor?" he said no ma'am it is John (?really?) from BT. "Oh, doctor John, I was hoping to talk to my own doctor". No Ma'am, I'm from BT and .. "oh! well, I've got a terrible problem with my big toe doctor" ... and so it went on! The outcome was that instead of telling them where to go and feeling p***d off from another cold call I had had an enjoyable 5 minutes releasing my inner actor, confused a cold caller who eventually politely rang off and my daughter who was with me at the time nearly wet herself laughing.
My step brother used to say oh, hang on a minute you need to speak to my daughter ... and then he'd hand the phone o his 3 year old who was delighted, and could ramble for England!
What do you do when you get these annoying callers.
(NB, I think next time I will be needing to speak to my holiday rep about a trip to India!!)

volver Mon 04-Apr-22 11:31:16

Why are we still engaged on this?

Hang up. They don't care that you are taking their time up and its probably the poor souls doing this so they don't starve who are going to suffer most.

Just hang up.

Oldwoman70 Mon 04-Apr-22 13:46:05

volver On the whole these aren't honest sales people, they are scammers attempting to trick people into giving them financial information.

I had a friend who would say she was a police officer, they had telephoned a crime scene, their number had been traced and they were to stay where they were until an officer arrived to take their statement! Usually they hung up as soon as they heard the words "police officer"

volver Mon 04-Apr-22 13:58:14

Yes, I know that Oldwoman70.

They are generally calling from organised call centres. They are as organised as the "real" call centres and don't give two hoots if the people they are calling are having a laugh pretending to keep them hanging on.

The people making the calls are generally employed by the people running the call centres and are on commission. They probably have a maximum allowed time to try to win a caller over and that's why they hang up after 5 minutes, not because the person they've called has confused them.

The call centres are calling millions of people every day and so keeping one guy hanging on for 5 minutes doesn't stop them having time to annoy anyone else.

Oh, and while someone is having fun thinking they are confusing them, they're going on the list of people who are likely to engage, so they get called again.

Just hang up.

MawtheMerrier Mon 04-Apr-22 14:01:30

There are so many urban myths about peoples clever and ingenious responses to scam callers- from putting the phone down and walking away to blowing a whistle down the phone.
However tempting it is to tell them to naff off, volver is right. Just hang up.

snowberryZ Mon 04-Apr-22 14:07:47

I had a friend who used to threaten to put a curse on them.
(like the old lady from drag me to hell)
Apparently it worked, as some of these people are very superstitious.

I have zero sympathy for scum who try to con people (very often elderly and vulnerable) out of their life savings.
I don't care what their circumstances are.
They deserve everything they get. And more.

snowberryZ Mon 04-Apr-22 14:12:26

Oldwoman70

volver On the whole these aren't honest sales people, they are scammers attempting to trick people into giving them financial information.

I had a friend who would say she was a police officer, they had telephoned a crime scene, their number had been traced and they were to stay where they were until an officer arrived to take their statement! Usually they hung up as soon as they heard the words "police officer"

Brill.

I don't subscribe to the poor people being exploited by the call centres Anybody who tricks people into handing over their bank details and pin numbers know exactly what they're doing.

volver Mon 04-Apr-22 14:15:20

Just hang up.

As soon as you talk to them you are identified as someone that they can engage with on the phone. Whether you think they are superstitious or not, the call centres for whom they work have much better idea of how this works than someone who thinks telling them they are cursed is a good way of getting rid of them.

If you talk to them, they will call you back and they have cleverer and cleverer ways of getting you to talk, and eventually all these "clever" people armed with whistles will give something away.

Really, its not clever. JUST HANG UP

volver Mon 04-Apr-22 14:18:12

Five years old. Still true.

www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2016/05/28/six-reasons-not-to-engage-with-scammers-no-matter-what-your-facebook-friends-tell-you/?sh=7b87f907439d

MawtheMerrier Mon 04-Apr-22 14:33:28

Exactly.
You can always mutter the F word after you have hung up!

Riverwalk Mon 04-Apr-22 15:03:06

My landline is on silent - I never use it, it's just part of the internet package. I never answer my mobile when it's an unknown number - if it's a genuine call they'll leave a message.

On the odd occasion when I've answered such a call I just put the phone down - why engage with them, it doesn't make you clever or amusing! It doesn't affect them one iota.

There are all sorts of services and devices you can get to screen out the majority - I never understand when people complain they're pestered by so many calls.

It used to be that hospitals & GPs would have withheld numbers or not leave messages for confidentiality reasons but I think that must have changed, or I've signed some sort of permission, as I've had phone calls from both that I'm able to see who is calling.

62Granny Mon 04-Apr-22 15:12:12

My husband used to do something similar, he used to tell them all about his stroke and could they give him more details of the recent accident he had had. We now have a house phone that only let's calls through if they are on our call list and a call blocker on our mobiles

Millie22 Mon 04-Apr-22 15:17:09

janipans
Well that's you told ?

Just hang up!

snowberryZ Mon 04-Apr-22 16:32:21

Just hang up

Where's the fun in that?

volver Mon 04-Apr-22 16:33:33

snowberryZ

^Just hang up^

Where's the fun in that?

You don't get scammed?

That's quite a good thing.

snowberryZ Mon 04-Apr-22 16:37:54

Anybody remember watching Sally Lindsay in
Cold Call?

It's shocking how quickly they managed to part her from her money.
The people working for the main man knew exactly what they were doing.

I wouldn't mind watching it again. Hope it's back on soon.

snowberryZ Mon 04-Apr-22 16:44:56

This one is mildly amusung
youtu.be/CuVFcizDwqw

Don't think I'd have the patience!

snowberryZ Mon 04-Apr-22 16:49:10

youtu.be/KCv_vTIS4ZU
grin Tiny Tim ?

Billybob4491 Mon 04-Apr-22 17:46:46

I just tell them I died in the car crash that they keep insisting I was involved in, they soon depart after that.

Elizabeth27 Mon 04-Apr-22 18:35:26

Why can’t you just say no thank you and hang up. these people are on minimum wage in a call centre and have to put up with constant abuse and time wasters. Keeping them on the line will not stop cold callers but will stop them reaching their targets and mean even less pay. I am sure most of them do not work there by choice.

Oldwoman70 Mon 04-Apr-22 18:46:06

Elizabeth27 We are talking about scammers not genuine people working in call centres

tickingbird Mon 04-Apr-22 18:51:26

Why can’t you just say no thank you and hang up. these people are on minimum wage in a call centre and have to put up with constant abuse and time wasters.

Actually these ‘poor people’ are criminals. They are no different from anyone else that makes their living by robbing people. I know someone that lost £10,000 they could ill afford to lose and would have lost their entire life savings if it wasn’t for the bank manager noticing the sudden withdrawals.

Fgs! These people make their living by conning often elderly people. Shame on anyone that pities them.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 19:00:22

I think of someone takes the absolute liberty of phoning me, uninvited, to try and scam me out of money, then it is up to me how I deal with them.

Don't like it?
Then don't phone.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 19:02:41

It's particularly annoying when it's the same people, multiple times daily, and you need the phone to be be free because you're waiting on an important call.

nandad Mon 04-Apr-22 19:05:10

I think some people are mistaking cold callers trying to sell something with scammers who are stealing from the vulnerable. The scammers know what they are doing is illegal and immoral, they are the digital equivalent of Fagin’s boys. To me they are fair game. My son and I used to have a little game to see how long we could keep them on for, nowadays when ‘Microsoft’ phone I give them the IP address of Google.