Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

McFee antivirus scam

(12 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Fri 04-Mar-22 13:26:41

E-mails purporting to come from McFee antivirus program keep appearing in my mail-box.

Now, I don't use McFee and never have, so I obviously just deleted the e-mail. The third time it appeared, I realised that it is being sent from addresses that have nothing whatsoever to do with McFee or any other software company!

So beware - block sender does not work, as they just send the next mail from another address.

B9exchange Fri 04-Mar-22 14:40:22

The antivirus software is McAfee, so users should be aware anyway. You can set up a rule to delete anything with McFee in it?

Casdon Fri 04-Mar-22 14:45:19

Are you sure the messages aren’t legitimate, from McAfee? They are extremely persistent - I got messages from them for years after I changed to Norton security. It’s one of the main reasons I changed to Apple,

dustyangel Fri 04-Mar-22 16:03:27

I’m getting the same and it is from McAfee,or so it says. Apple keep insisting that their users need no other security but I had no trouble at all the year or so that I used one that was recommended here on GN. If anyone can remember which it was (maybe Norton?) I would be very grateful.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 04-Mar-22 18:29:28

I constantly get scam emails purporting to be from McAfee (which I have but these are definitely scams) and Norton. Delete!

Hetty58 Fri 04-Mar-22 18:33:40

Just send them to junk - or forward to [email protected].

Chestnut Fri 04-Mar-22 18:35:39

I use McAfee and have never had an e-mail from them.

Sarnia Fri 04-Mar-22 18:52:15

I am so glad this thread is on the go. I am receiving pop-ups from them at the moment. I have ignored them and will ask my son-in-law to have a look.

Chestnut Sat 05-Mar-22 00:02:11

As I said, I have used McAfee for 2 plus years and have never been contacted by them, so I imagine all of them are a scam.

Chestnut Sat 05-Mar-22 00:06:16

Oh I tell a lies. I had one last August entitled 'Protect your identity from data breaches'. Then one in May and one Dec 2020. They are not regular by any means.

henetha Sat 05-Mar-22 10:12:39

Since getting this new laptop a few weeks ago I have been bombarded by messages from McAfee every day. I'm glad I have been ignoring them.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 05-Mar-22 14:27:27

The ones I get are not sent from an official McAfee e-mail address but from very odd looking addresses, which is usually a sure indication that someone is scamming you, or trying to.