Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

What a Shame

(65 Posts)
glammanana Mon 15-Feb-21 09:41:54

This morning after being up early and getting all bits and bobs done I sat down to read the morning paper when the phone went about 9am,after not having been out at all and not spoken to anyone for a few days I was glad of the chance to chat to someone,great says I to myself a bit of chatter with a pal I hope !!
Wrong they are sending Police with a warrant to arrest me for none payment of Taxes ?? then just now they have rung back again and switching off my broadband & services as well as what makes it worse is that it was the standard recording and I still did not get to speak to anyone what a shame.

EvieJ Mon 15-Feb-21 09:46:56

WOW, is that for real
I have never heard of police calling anyone before attending their home. Also, why would anyone be arrested for non-payment of tax, surly you would just receive a bill?
That must have been quite scary , hope your not too upset?

Eve

BigBertha1 Mon 15-Feb-21 09:48:36

I'm glad you didn't get to speak to anyone- bloody recorded messages we get them quite often usually about e-mail being cut off just ignore.

Grannybags Mon 15-Feb-21 09:48:41

?

You really must do something about paying off all those debts!

Mind you if you went to prison you'd always have someone to chat to.......grin

Niobe Mon 15-Feb-21 09:49:04

grin

BigBertha1 Mon 15-Feb-21 09:49:08

On second thoughts block the number - they do use lots of numbers but block it all the same.

B9exchange Mon 15-Feb-21 09:49:16

I've just had one from 'auto recovery' about an accident I haven't had. Seems to be a morning for it!

aggie Mon 15-Feb-21 09:49:36

EvieJ it’s a well known scam ! Put the phone down and don’t worry if it happens to you xxx

Elegran Mon 15-Feb-21 09:49:50

If they are going to scam you into sending money they might at least spend five minutes chatting to you!

FannyCornforth Mon 15-Feb-21 09:50:42

It's a scam.
Whatever you do, do not give them your bank details.

Do you have a friend or relative that you can call to talk this through with?

You may want to phone the police.

Don't worry.

glammanana Mon 15-Feb-21 09:53:31

Elegran same thoughts here I was quite disappointed really I wonder what the next one will be grin

Georgesgran Mon 15-Feb-21 10:00:18

I’d like to meet whoever keeps spending £600 on my credit card! Good luck to them! Funny how it never shows up on any statement!

FannyCornforth Mon 15-Feb-21 10:06:48

Sorry, didn't realise it was a joke blush

midgey Mon 15-Feb-21 10:06:56

Georgesgran I liked to know too, especially as I don’t have a credit card. Still, I am waiting for the police to arrest me on behalf HMRC! Something to do at least.

glammanana Mon 15-Feb-21 10:08:44

I realise it is a scam call what I was disappointed in was the fact that I felt like some adult conversation and it was a stupid recording still never mind I'll just wait for the Amazon call which must surely be due any day now I must be getting to the top of the list again.wink

Juliet27 Mon 15-Feb-21 10:14:46

FannyCornforth

Sorry, didn't realise it was a joke blush

Aaaw bless! ?

Jaxjacky Mon 15-Feb-21 10:15:58

glammanana just to add to your longed for calls, the one to say there’s be a fraudulent transaction on your bank account must be imminent!

Callistemon Mon 15-Feb-21 10:16:46

Please post later on this thread to reassure us you are not in the clink, glammanana!

How disappointing.

A friend phoned right at the beginning of all these lockdowns and said she was going to phone everyone on her Christmas card list, which I thought was a good idea.

Juliet27 Mon 15-Feb-21 10:17:03

I haven’t heard lately why my pc has been running slow. Microsoft must have sorted it remotely for me.

Callistemon Mon 15-Feb-21 10:19:24

I haven't heard from Amazon lately about a problem with my Prime Account (12 calls over a few days).
I didn't have a Prime Account.

Juliet27 Mon 15-Feb-21 10:22:26

Anyone heard lately from the Indian call centre men with English names. I’ve heard in the past from John, David and Peter. I did once have a really interesting long chat with one man...it was fascinating to share thoughts. I hope the call wasn’t reversed!!

harrigran Mon 15-Feb-21 10:25:33

All quiet here today but last week we had at least two scam calls a day.
Answer machine is on 24/7 and they do end the call when machine answers.

glammanana Mon 15-Feb-21 10:29:00

I always add these numbers to my blocked list but then another one always seems to wriggle through confused

annodomini Mon 15-Feb-21 10:38:56

Come to think of it, I haven't heard from Microsoft recently about a problem with my PC. I seem to remember that it was a live call last time, so I was able to string him along for a couple of minutes. grin

Blossoming Mon 15-Feb-21 10:40:32

I miss the ‘you’ve won a holiday’ call. Maybe they’re waiting for the travel ban to be lifted.