Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

What happens to truly evil people when die?

(205 Posts)
Santana Thu 09-Dec-21 14:38:45

My brother in law died last night.
A truly evil man.
Before my mum passed away she told me that he would have to stand before the Almighty and answer for all the things he had
done.
Things so terrible I can't say them.
I believe in a loving and forgiving God, so I'm having some trouble with what she said.
Any advice would be welcome please

Sago Thu 09-Dec-21 14:46:23

My mother a very devout Catholic and evil woman died 18 months ago.
She was terrified of meeting her maker, wether she went “ upstairs or downstairs “ I believe the guilt was possibly punishment enough.

grannylyn65 Thu 09-Dec-21 14:51:20

Nobody knows what happens when we die

EllanVannin Thu 09-Dec-21 14:52:11

I think that people like this suffer for all or most of their lives in some way, so they've lived with their punishments in a sense and not the normal lives that most of us enjoy. Sad really.

Peasblossom Thu 09-Dec-21 15:00:27

Well, I believe that like all of us they are just dead.

But if there is a Hell it will be the agony of the realisation of the evil we have done.

Luckygirl3 Thu 09-Dec-21 15:02:16

What happens to truly evil people when they die? ..... the same that happens to all of us, good or bad. We come to an end and our atoms re-join the cosmic soup.

Blooming unfair of course; but whoever said that life would be fair?

Grandmagrim Thu 09-Dec-21 15:03:54

They get reincarnated as politicians

LauraNorderr Thu 09-Dec-21 15:05:20

EllanVannin

I think that people like this suffer for all or most of their lives in some way, so they've lived with their punishments in a sense and not the normal lives that most of us enjoy. Sad really.

Wise words.

LauraNorderr Thu 09-Dec-21 15:06:13

Grandmagrim

They get reincarnated as politicians

?

Chestnut Thu 09-Dec-21 15:08:38

Only God can forgive those who truly repent because only God knows what is in their hearts. Most evil bas***ds do not truly repent, so just because the person expresses regret it's not enough to wipe away the evil that they did and they cannot be forgiven. What I do believe is that they will pay one way or another, whether it's karma with bad things happening to them in this life, or maybe coming back in another life as someone who will suffer, or maybe straight to the fire and brimstone. Who knows? But I am sure they will pay somehow.

eazybee Thu 09-Dec-21 15:09:59

This is the third thread today that I have opened that has some truly horrid comments.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Dec-21 15:12:03

I remember a vicar telling me years ago that he expected Hitler would be in heaven as everyone, good or bad, went there. The Bible tells us that sins will be forgiven. I try to be good and not take chances though!

Riverwalk Thu 09-Dec-21 15:12:49

No advice, just an opinion - I'm not a believer in an almighty or afterlife, so your BIL will like the the rest of us just return to the earth, whence we came.

silverlining48 Thu 09-Dec-21 15:13:02

My father was one such evil man, he was neither missed nor mourned. How about reaping what you sew? Isn’t that in the bible?

Chestnut Thu 09-Dec-21 15:18:21

eazybee

This is the third thread today that I have opened that has some truly horrid comments.

This is a thread about evil people so it won't be about fluffy kittens. We've just seen endless posts about the parents of Little Arthur and other children who have suffered, what did you think of those two? They were evil people.

mokryna Thu 09-Dec-21 15:18:36

I thought if they were Catholics and admitted their faults with the priest they were forgiven, aren’t they? In France there are all night vigils to help the person who has died.
The prodigal son was forgiven it doesn’t matter when you ask forgiveness.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Dec-21 15:20:35

I believe God forgives.

Blondiescot Thu 09-Dec-21 15:21:53

eazybee

What truly horrid comments? I can't see any.

Chestnut Thu 09-Dec-21 15:31:43

Germanshepherdsmum

I believe God forgives.

But the person has to truly repent in their heart and soul, and who except God knows if they have? Just because they say they have doesn't make it so.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Dec-21 15:36:03

Quite right Chestnut. Of course God may have ways of extracting true repentance. A quick look at what life downstairs might be for instance?

Maudi Thu 09-Dec-21 15:46:08

Who knows what happens you can only guess. On death row in America a lot of the inmates turn to religion and ask for their sins to be forgiven, so are they worried where they are going to after they are killed (meeting their maker or going to helll) or does it just make them feel better?

Santana Thu 09-Dec-21 15:56:39

Thank you for all of your views.
He never repented what he did, and he would have continued if not kept away from those he would harm.
He did suffer with his health for the last few years, and was definitely frightened of dying. Maybe this was his punishment

grandMattie Thu 09-Dec-21 16:00:06

I have no idea - but I truly believe that God is all forgiving and if someone really repents and means it, then…
My great grandmother had an absolutely horrible uncle Robert. She always referred to him as “uncle Bob (who went to Hell)”… ?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Dec-21 16:00:11

It sounds like it Santana. ?

Chestnut Thu 09-Dec-21 16:03:59

But my mother suffered with her health for years despite being a good person. The suffering we endure in this life is not always the result of evil we do in this life. Who knows what the master plan is and how it all balances out?