Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Mediumship demonstration

(172 Posts)
Persistentdonor Sun 27-Jun-21 11:13:53

Yesterday, for the first time, I went in a group, to observe a Mediumship demonstration.
I am not sure what I was expecting!
Due to Covid restrictions, ticket numbers were limited, and I estimate our party might have made up 10% of the "audience".
Although the Medium, (who WAS quite entertaining,) gave messages to several people, he had nothing for any of my party.
I am fairly convinced that one of the people receiving lengthy attention, was known to the Medium, and may have been a "plant".
That person had chatted in a friendly manner, and at great length before the start, to another person who also received a message. hmm
Everyone who received attention was in agreement that they understood most of what the Medium offered, which was lovely for them, but as they were all strangers to me, I couldn't say how definitive, (genuine,) the information was.
I also felt that frequently, he was suggesting things which were yet to happen, so possibly he was influencing thought processes?
The only way I would have been entirely convinced was if one of my party had received attention, because of course I know their details quite well.
I think I left a little less willing to be open minded than when I arrived.... but due to circumstances I shall not be able to discuss the event with my chums for a few weeks.
I realise that many people are staunch believers, and probably an equal number flatly refute the entire concept.
I wondered if anyone with an open mind would like to comment?

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 27-Jun-21 11:34:50

I’m afraid I don’t have an open mind as such. I’m a Christian, and the Bible warns us to steer clear of anyone claiming to be able to talk to the dead. I don’t want to force my beliefs on anyone, but just give one perspective of the many possible answers you may get.

Toadinthehole Sun 27-Jun-21 11:39:55

Disco, you’ve taken my words! I’m a Christian too, and I would avoid this like the plague. You’re most likely to encounter frauds/ fakes, but you could be taken to places you’d rather not have gone.
The Reachout Trust is an organisation which helps people who’ve found themselves embroiled in cults or the Occult. A few years ago, they published a book called ‘ Doorways to Danger’, which might be worth a read as you obviously are drawn to Spiritual things.

Persistentdonor Sun 27-Jun-21 12:01:33

Thank you.
That is a view for sure.... "drawn to Spritual things".... maybe more a case of looking for what I would call definitive answers?

Turned 70, so hopefully not gullible enough to get sucked into cults.
I doubt I will go again.
Almost died 2 years ago.... lost my father some 50 years ago....
Really would like to form some idea of what might be around the next corner.... (or not,) as the concept of Heaven and Hell doesn't seem to be entirely logical to me either.

Toadinthehole Sun 27-Jun-21 12:27:30

Aww, bless you. A good place to start is the gospel of John, where Jesus talks about Heaven and Hell, Life and Death. You are welcome to pm me if you want to talk more, no pressure.

Jillyjosie Sun 27-Jun-21 13:53:01

I'm afraid I find people who think that the Bible is verbatim and somehow true as creepy and cult like as spiritualists and their ilk. Each to their own and don't throw stones at others who think differently. Oops isn't that in the Bible somewhere?? grin

3nanny6 Sun 27-Jun-21 14:08:13

I do believe in the Bible and I attend church.

Many years ago two friends of mine who like to go to
spiritualist/ mediumship events convinced me to go with them
one evening.
I didn't know what to do when he came to me as a person of interest. He was asking me about a spirit and kept giving me the name Carol and telling me it had been some time since I had seen her. I was racking my brains for who this Carol was
because I didn't haver a clue what he was talking about.
Needless to say he said a few more things then said Bless you and moved on. I was glad he went to someone else and although it was an experience it was nothing I wanted to repeat. Some people take comfort from it so it is up to them.

OnwardandUpward Sun 27-Jun-21 14:17:34

I'm a Christian too, so its against my faith to participate in these things. I know some do have a foot in both camps, but I wouldn't want to.

What I will say, based on my observations online is that many who claim to be "Spiritual" say they are motivated by love, but they spread fear. Fear about the covid vaccine and fear about all kinds of things, yet love is the opposite of fear and I would not trust this.

If your gut feeling tells you the person was a plant, trust your gut. You're probably more on track than the medium, who is after all doing it to get paid. What are you seeking? Or should I say who?

Chewbacca Sun 27-Jun-21 14:25:57

If it gives someone comfort, it's doing some good though isn't it? Personally, I have no interest in going to any faith meeting of any denomination but I can easily live with the fact that others gain comfort from attending religious meetings of all faiths. There's room for them all.

grandMattie Sun 27-Jun-21 14:43:59

It may give comfort to some, yes, but, really?
I am deeply religious too and am very sceptical. I steer clear of all these things; mediums, ouijaboards etc., as I believe them to be used by charlatans who prey on people’s emotions. If others want to go to seances, play with boards, go ahead, but I believe that you lay yourself wide open to malign sprits…
Either you believe in an afterlife or you don’t and the only way you will find out is if you die yourself!

OnwardandUpward Sun 27-Jun-21 14:52:57

Well yes and it would not be good to find out later rather than sooner that youd "backed the wrong horse", so to speak!

Chewbacca Sun 27-Jun-21 14:52:57

It may give comfort to some, yes, but, really

Yes grandMattie, really. You've confirmed that you hold your own religious beliefs very firmly and very dearly and that they give you comfort for both this life and for the hereafter. None of us are in any position to claim that a different faith to our own is, by very definition, a charlatan who preys on people's fears and worries. With respect, the same could be said of every religion known to man. And, to my knowledge, I'm not aware of any crimes against humanity that have been caused by the Spiritualist faith; unlike Christianity, Islam etc. So they're not all bad are they?

GillT57 Sun 27-Jun-21 14:57:12

I do not wish to offend ( but may do so), but I am uncomfortable about taking warnings about spiritualism from Christians, faint whiff of hypocrisy I think. Each to their own faith, or none, and I do not think any of us can say who is right or wrong in what they believe. Curiosity can drive many to attend mediumship meets, some find comfort, most do not, and the one I went to (once) was rather like the OP described; people who seemed to know each other, at least well enough to have known of bereavements and such, so it left me rather sceptical. But, not harm done.

Toadinthehole Sun 27-Jun-21 14:58:48

Chewbacca

If it gives someone comfort, it's doing some good though isn't it? Personally, I have no interest in going to any faith meeting of any denomination but I can easily live with the fact that others gain comfort from attending religious meetings of all faiths. There's room for them all.

Absolutely not, it’s very dangerous. If you’re just dealing with fakes, then perhaps all you’ll lose is money, and maybe self respect.
Whether you believe or not, Satan is out there to get you, and he does this very successfully through ‘ mediums’, who will tell you it is a gift. All gifts have to come from someone.
I appreciate many people do not believe in our Creator, and what He says, but I would urge you to never embark on any mission which claims it can talk to the dead.

Chewbacca Sun 27-Jun-21 15:02:58

OK Toadinthehole.

GillT57 Sun 27-Jun-21 15:03:06

Toadinthehole your previous post. Why do you think your beliefs about Satan are any more controversial than anything said by a medium or spiritualist? I realise we are getting onto shaky ground here, but I am completely unable to accept the concept of Satan being out there to get me as you say.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 27-Jun-21 15:06:03

GillT57

I do not wish to offend ( but may do so), but I am uncomfortable about taking warnings about spiritualism from Christians, faint whiff of hypocrisy I think. Each to their own faith, or none, and I do not think any of us can say who is right or wrong in what they believe. Curiosity can drive many to attend mediumship meets, some find comfort, most do not, and the one I went to (once) was rather like the OP described; people who seemed to know each other, at least well enough to have known of bereavements and such, so it left me rather sceptical. But, not harm done.

Yes, I agree, very dangerous. I agree Gill, religion has done a lot of damage, certainly the Christian’ religions’. This is Churchianity, not Christianity. Jesus was clear about what we need to do to get eternal life. He is the head of the church. The churches have, over the years, put man in charge, and basically made a real mess of things!

Toadinthehole Sun 27-Jun-21 15:12:56

GillT57

Toadinthehole your previous post. Why do you think your beliefs about Satan are any more controversial than anything said by a medium or spiritualist? I realise we are getting onto shaky ground here, but I am completely unable to accept the concept of Satan being out there to get me as you say.

Do you mean why should people believe about Satan, when encouraged not to believe mediums/ spiritualists? I understand why you would ask that, as both concepts are invisible. The Bible is warning us of these things. It talks of Satan being God’s enemy, and to avoid spiritualists. I get it if you don’t believe, many don’t, but in essence, this is a history book still relevant today, giving us guidance on how to live.
Hope that answers your question.

GillT57 Sun 27-Jun-21 15:14:18

Interesting point discodancer, thank you! We have seen reports recently of awful conversion therapy performed in churches, trying to 'pray the gay away', talking in tongues and claiming to communicate with a higher spiritual being, surely far more damaging and dangerous than a man in a dodgy cardigan claiming to speak to Great Aunt Edna from 'the other side'?

timetogo2016 Sun 27-Jun-21 15:16:54

Reading between the lines,i believe God wants us to believe in him solely.
He thinks we should`nt have to go to a medium/spiritualist to believe in him.
I believe in him,but i have gone to a very famous medium called John Edward,he`s an American from Long Island and was un-real, he`s has his own show in America so if anyone is interested he is on youtube.

fuseta Sun 27-Jun-21 15:19:15

DH and myself were in London for the weekend a couple of weeks ago and got chatting to another couple in a pub garden. The woman mentioned that she was a spiritualist and that she worked in a hospice. After a while she said 'Who is George?' This was a surprise, as our very good friend called George died in April. She said that DH and George were like brothers and that I was his little Dolly Parton ( we all used to sing together ) Then she told DH that his Dad was asking about his medals. This made sense to him, as his Dad's second wife sold all his medals after he died and DH has often said that he would have liked to keep them. She also asked if I knew someone that was possibly called Laura, who I couldn't place at all. She also described this person in full. A couple of days later, I remembered my old friend whose surname was Lauder and she totally fitted the description. I hadn't seen her for 25 years and had lost touch with her. I managed to track her down online and she was very much alive and delighted to hear from me, however she told me that her Dad had passed away a month ago, so maybe he wanted us to get back in touch! I must stress that I had never met this spiritualist woman in my life and I certainly didn't go looking for it and I didn't give her any clues either. I didn't find it spooky or evil, just very interesting and it was uncannyjust what she got right!

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 27-Jun-21 15:24:44

GillT57

Interesting point discodancer, thank you! We have seen reports recently of awful conversion therapy performed in churches, trying to 'pray the gay away', talking in tongues and claiming to communicate with a higher spiritual being, surely far more damaging and dangerous than a man in a dodgy cardigan claiming to speak to Great Aunt Edna from 'the other side'?

Yes, it’s true, it’s horrible when it’s forced. We are called to pray for anything we need, and Christians do speak in tongues. Not all of us, just some have that gift. The Bible says there should always be an interpreter. I’ve been to services where there isn’t, and haven’t trusted it. Satan and his army also have ‘ tongues’.
As regards the man in the dodgy Cardy, he may seem innocent enough, but is still best avoided. Even if you don’t believe you’re in danger, as Onwardandupward says, you don’t want to find out too late, that you backed the wrong horse!

grandMattie Sun 27-Jun-21 15:26:26

Don’t get me wrong. I do believe that some people have a gift for seeing spirits, but it is the “shows” that worry me. Especially when it is used commercially rather than freely given.
I’m also not saying that such mediums are evil but one does expose oneself to possible trouble.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 27-Jun-21 15:27:52

fuseta

DH and myself were in London for the weekend a couple of weeks ago and got chatting to another couple in a pub garden. The woman mentioned that she was a spiritualist and that she worked in a hospice. After a while she said 'Who is George?' This was a surprise, as our very good friend called George died in April. She said that DH and George were like brothers and that I was his little Dolly Parton ( we all used to sing together ) Then she told DH that his Dad was asking about his medals. This made sense to him, as his Dad's second wife sold all his medals after he died and DH has often said that he would have liked to keep them. She also asked if I knew someone that was possibly called Laura, who I couldn't place at all. She also described this person in full. A couple of days later, I remembered my old friend whose surname was Lauder and she totally fitted the description. I hadn't seen her for 25 years and had lost touch with her. I managed to track her down online and she was very much alive and delighted to hear from me, however she told me that her Dad had passed away a month ago, so maybe he wanted us to get back in touch! I must stress that I had never met this spiritualist woman in my life and I certainly didn't go looking for it and I didn't give her any clues either. I didn't find it spooky or evil, just very interesting and it was uncannyjust what she got right!

The more accurate they are, the more dangerous. Please give them a wide berth.

GillT57 Sun 27-Jun-21 15:32:16

But Discodancer you have just said some have that gift and The Bible says there should always be an interpreter, why is the medium in the drafty village hall not the one with the gift or the interpreter? How would anyone know whether it is a Christian with a gift or Satan and his army speaking in tongues^? Where does the Spiritualist Church fit in here? Blimey, I bet you wish you never answered this thread grin