Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Will the Catholic Church be damaged by yesterday's wedding at Westminster Cathedral?

(113 Posts)
Kali2 Sun 30-May-21 15:15:15

How do you feel about this?

I think yes.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 30-May-21 15:17:35

Certainly.

Whatever is said the optics do not look good.

TerriBull Sun 30-May-21 15:19:45

Definitely! I've said my piece on the other thread.

maddyone Sun 30-May-21 15:19:55

This I don’t know as I’m not Catholic. The church in general is modernising, but possibly not the Catholic Church.

Ilovecheese Sun 30-May-21 15:23:06

I don't think so. The church has survived much worse.

Whatdayisit Sun 30-May-21 15:30:50

I doubt it. Brush it off Boris doesn't let anything get in the way of what he wants.

I don't understand the desire to get married in the eyes of God when you are such a sinner (in the eyes of the Church).
If he was a true Catholic he wouldn't have sought his first divorce so why bother.

MerylStreep Sun 30-May-21 15:33:09

will the Catholic Church be damaged by yesterday’s wedding at Westminster Cathedral
It’s already today’s fish &chip wrapping paper. The general public don’t give a stuff. More important things for us to think about.
I suppose if you’ve got bugger all else to do or think about, then yes, I can see the story as riveting.

vegansrock Sun 30-May-21 15:34:11

He’s Teflon coated at the moment, but we all know that Teflon wears off over time .

Jaxjacky Sun 30-May-21 15:37:19

With you MerylStreep ?

sodapop Sun 30-May-21 15:37:54

Of course it will, this is a mere pinprick compared to earlier trials and tribulations it had endured.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 30-May-21 15:43:31

The Catholic Church has covered up many wrong doings over the years, so in the big scheme of things no.

Pope Pius II before he came pope wrote one of the best selling books of the fifteenth century The Tale of Two Lovers it is one of the earliest examples of an epistolary novel, full of erotic imagery.

How many babies were literally torn from their mothers arms in Ireland and adopted against their mothers wishes?

How many priests have just been moved to another Parish to cover up allegations of sexual inappropriateness?

There are multiple examples of the wickedness of nuns in Roman Catholic Schools, installing Catholic guilt which for some people colours their lives throughout their lifetime.

Maybe it’s time for the Church to adapt and modernise?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 30-May-21 15:44:44

Totally agree with MerylStreep ?

MawBe Sun 30-May-21 15:44:51

Oh my goodness there’s some wishful thinking going on here.
#depressing#gotnothing bettertodoonSunday

H1954 Sun 30-May-21 15:48:42

I agree with GG. The Catholic Church has far too many skeletons in its numerous closets to justifiably have an opinion on one wedding.

Galaxy Sun 30-May-21 15:48:49

Some of us can think of numerous things at once, and still have full lives, I work as as a keyworker for example, and still manage to think about what to have for tea and issues relating to the church. If your brain cant cope with holding a number of thoughts in your head I agree it would be difficult.

Baggs Sun 30-May-21 15:52:13

Whatdayisit

I doubt it. Brush it off Boris doesn't let anything get in the way of what he wants.

I don't understand the desire to get married in the eyes of God when you are such a sinner (in the eyes of the Church).
If he was a true Catholic he wouldn't have sought his first divorce so why bother.

He isn't a Catholic.

MawBe Sun 30-May-21 16:17:05

Galaxy

Some of us can think of numerous things at once, and still have full lives, I work as as a keyworker for example, and still manage to think about what to have for tea and issues relating to the church. If your brain cant cope with holding a number of thoughts in your head I agree it would be difficult.

And the precise relevance of this comment is....?

Peasblossom Sun 30-May-21 16:19:15

I don’t even understand it. Can someone explain?

MerylStreep Sun 30-May-21 16:22:37

Galaxy
Could not agree more with your last sentence.
But come on. Blonde bloke marries the mother of his child: interesting, I don’t think so. ??

Sago Sun 30-May-21 16:25:37

What am I missing?
Why would the Catholic Church be damaged?

AGAA4 Sun 30-May-21 16:27:17

In answer to the OP I would say the church will be no more damaged than it already is.

greenlady102 Sun 30-May-21 16:34:38

No. Next question?

Mattsmum2 Sun 30-May-21 16:39:00

I know someone whose brother was forbidden to marry the love of his life because she was not catholic, then he died in a car crash soon after this conversation with his parents. Humans can be so cruel. Who cares as long as they’re happy. Happiness is so hard to find and keep nowadays because some people do what they think they should do because of others feelings and not their own. Good luck to them .

MerylStreep Sun 30-May-21 16:41:39

Looks like another non- story. As you say greenlady next question

Galaxy Sun 30-May-21 17:10:59

It was in reference to those who stated that people who had a view on this didnt have much going on in their lives. I was pointing out that was nonsense.