Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Religeous intolerance

(183 Posts)
Sparkling Fri 26-Mar-21 07:31:34

The recent case of a teacher bring suspended, gas been apologised for, but it seems he has been named and forced to go to ground. Surely that is wrong, don't a lot of people come here because of religeous intolerance in their home countries, you don't have to agree with anyone's religion but respect them, in this case he showed little respect, he did some thing that upset people but the school has dealt with it. That should end the matter.We cannot have people victimised and public demonstrations in a pandemic because it offended those concerned. What is it they are calling for. It is all very disturbing..

JaneJudge Fri 26-Mar-21 07:41:47

I am ignorant as to why it is so offensive so I look forward to someone explaining.

Froglady Fri 26-Mar-21 07:52:01

I was a bit disturbed when I saw he had been named but then I realised that his name would have been known in the local community and all the pupils will have known who he was. What on earth was he thinking after all the problems there have been in various countries about cartoons, etc, etc and doing it in an area that I suspect has a high ratio of Asian people? It was short sighted to say the least. Religion is very important to some people, whatever their religion is, and to demonstrate behaviour in his classroom and lesson that ridicules religion was very short sighted and has caused a great deal of harm and trouble. The Asian community were working well with this school apparently and this incident has put that into jeopardy.
What would people think if the teacher had shown a cartoon of people in the Holocaust and the death camps - would that have been all right?In my opinion no it wouldn't, it would have deeply offended a lot of people and there would have been protests. Just because the school has apologised does not end the matter as people are very disturbed by what has happened. The teacher may well have committed a criminal offence. The ramifications of this could be very far reaching; in this day and age he should have known better.

Anniebach Fri 26-Mar-21 08:13:54

Just heard on the news , the teacher is being given protection

LullyDully Fri 26-Mar-21 08:20:36

All that being said, he was very, very foolish to show the cartoons to the students. With the recent history he/ she should have been far more sensitive to the community. Respect comes in many forms.

Sarnia Fri 26-Mar-21 08:29:59

If a person is religious it is an important part of their life. It is very personal to them and isn't something that should be ridiculed in any way. The fallout from this could be far-reaching.

tickingbird Fri 26-Mar-21 08:31:06

I find it disturbing that posters seem to be defending the behaviour of the protesters outside this school. This is the UK. This teacher has had to go into hiding because his life will be in danger and I’ve just read on Sky News the statement by the local labour mp, being apologetic to the usual mob baying for blood. It’s disgraceful.

Whilst I agree that the teacher’s actions were ill judged, it beggars belief that in this country in the 21st century someone has to go into hiding for showing a cartoon picture of a man in a turban! It’s not the prophet because nobody knows what he looks like. It’s just a cartoon.

As for the comment upthread regarding cartoons of the death camps during The Holocaust, there’s no comparison. There’s nothing cartoonish about The Holocaust. There are plenty of real photographs and film of the death camps. The cartoon of Mohammed is just a drawing of a man in a turban and someone says it’s the prophet. If it was a cartoon of him being tortured or doing something forbidden then I could understand the outrage. As it is I am concerned that we are allowing this country to go down a dangerous path if certain sections of our society can dictate what is and isn’t taught in out schools.

suziewoozie Fri 26-Mar-21 08:39:23

Yes and yes again tickingbird. Talk about a rush to judgement - we have no idea of the context of the ‘cartoon’. Do you remember the teacher in France who was murdered for something similar a? Turns out the pupil made it all up as she was in trouble at home for something. I also remember similar scenes outside some West Midlands schools when schools were introducing the idea that same sex families were a valid part of our society.

Anniebach Fri 26-Mar-21 08:40:48

Why did he show the cartoon ?

suziewoozie Fri 26-Mar-21 08:42:40

Here’s the story re the beheaded teacher

Samuel Paty: French schoolgirl admits lying about murdered teacher www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56325254

And annie we don’t know but that won’t stop the knee jerkers

Blinko Fri 26-Mar-21 08:44:30

If people want to live in the UK, surely they must accept that we are a liberal society, and should understand what that means in practice. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply in instances like this.

tickingbird Fri 26-Mar-21 08:52:21

Apparently he is a RE teacher and I should imagine he was giving a lesson regarding the furore following the Charlie Hebdo cartoons. I don’t know why he decided to show the cartoon. Possibly to show how benign it is. In Islam it is forbidden to view the prophet BUT this isn’t the prophet. There are many cartoons of men in turbans - think of Arabian Nights, Ali Baba etc. It is only when someone says “this is a cartoon of Mohammed” that it becomes a problem.

It’s a dangerous road to go down when we seek to pander to the mob. Religious sensitivity is one thing but a man’s life in danger because of a cartoon? There’s no excusing it. The protesters should have been dispersed and threatened with fines for congregating during the pandemic.

Galaxy Fri 26-Mar-21 08:52:50

The fact that people think that there ate certain things that shouldn't be mocked is do terrifying to me.

Anniebach Fri 26-Mar-21 08:52:59

Thank you suziewoozie

I have mixed feelings about the showing of these cartoons

Galaxy Fri 26-Mar-21 08:53:19

So terrifying that I cant type apparently.

JaneJudge Fri 26-Mar-21 08:53:25

This is an interesting link explaining why Religious Studies should be included in the IB:

www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2010/12/five-reasons-why-religious-studies-must-be-in-the-english-bacc-by-a-top-rs-teacher

I remember when I did RS at school it covered the four main religions (Christianity, Judaism, Sikhism and Islam) and contemporary moral issues and how that may conflict with religion. I remember I got in trouble for doing a project on the apartheid in South Africa but one of my relatives was working out in Africa on mission (also controversial) and was very passionate about it.

I have no idea what the cartoon is though or why it is so offensive. I'm assuming it isn't like the life of Brian

suziewoozie Fri 26-Mar-21 09:02:03

Galaxy

The fact that people think that there ate certain things that shouldn't be mocked is do terrifying to me.

Absolutely - and then if you factor in the actual truth of what happened.... oh wait a minute, we don’t even know but let’s apologise anyway.

PamelaJ1 Fri 26-Mar-21 09:04:35

*ticking bird*✔️
Of course the teacher should have known better but it is done now. It seems the appropriate action is being taken and apologies have been made.

The sort of action the parents and rent a crowd are demonstrating makes me wonder if tolerance and forgiveness are words that have any meaning in the Muslim religion.

suziewoozie Fri 26-Mar-21 09:07:10

PamelaJ1

*ticking bird*✔️
Of course the teacher should have known better but it is done now. It seems the appropriate action is being taken and apologies have been made.

The sort of action the parents and rent a crowd are demonstrating makes me wonder if tolerance and forgiveness are words that have any meaning in the Muslim religion.

What appropriate action is this then? Hanging him out to dry without due process?

ElaineI Fri 26-Mar-21 09:07:31

I don't know why he chose to show this cartoon given what happened in France even if the child lied. Some things, regardless of the UK having free speech etc and regardless of what anyone else thinks is right or wrong, you just don't go there and now his life is probably in danger and he needs protection. What a stupid senseless thing to do!

Sago Fri 26-Mar-21 09:07:34

Mob rule.
It’s appalling.

suziewoozie Fri 26-Mar-21 09:10:41

ElaineI

I don't know why he chose to show this cartoon given what happened in France even if the child lied. Some things, regardless of the UK having free speech etc and regardless of what anyone else thinks is right or wrong, you just don't go there and now his life is probably in danger and he needs protection. What a stupid senseless thing to do!

Do you have access to the full facts of the case do you? Sorry for sarcasm but really ...
I suppose you think that only heterosexual families should feature in children’s stories in case any religious fundamentalists ( of any kind) get upset. Strewth.

Gwyneth Fri 26-Mar-21 09:11:02

tickingbird and suzie yes absolutely agree. This is very worrying and mob rule seems to have prevailed. I’m also surprised that the head teacher appears to have given no support to a member of his staff and condemned his actions before any kind of inquiry has been carried out re the context. For once I think Gavin Williams was right in his comments this morning. It’s also extremely concerning that the teacher has been named.

sodapop Fri 26-Mar-21 09:14:14

I agree with your post at 8.52 tickingbird I fail to understand why this teacher showed the cartoon as he must have been aware of the possible consequences.
However there is no excuse for the behaviour of the protesters. They should have spoken to the school about their concerns and ensure appropriate action taken.

maddyone Fri 26-Mar-21 09:20:50

I’m another who completely agrees with tickingbird and suzie. Every time I see something like this has happened I feel worried. I don’t agree with apologies, I think it actually makes the situation worse, because if someone apologises it says that wrong was done.