Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

"Patriotism is not enough" Nurse Cavell

(18 Posts)
Alexa Sun 07-Feb-21 10:03:55

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Cavell

Her comment for which she is famous is relevant during all of today's troubles, including racism, and covid.

EllanVannin Sun 07-Feb-21 10:15:07

Having been a nurse myself it made no difference who I treated and like Edith Cavell I didn't make a big deal of it either as had I been living during the wars, I'd also have treated the enemy in the same way.
So your question is ?

Ro60 Sun 07-Feb-21 10:25:10

Then of course there's Mary Seacole ..

Ilovecheese Sun 07-Feb-21 14:44:05

You mean it is not enough that politicians are competing to see who has the biggest Union Flag in the background to their broadcasts?

suziewoozie Sun 07-Feb-21 15:07:24

I remember this quote and looked up,the context

Edith Louisa Cavell (/ˈkævəl/; 4 December 1865 – 12 October 1915) was a British nurse. She is celebrated for saving the lives of soldiers from both sides without discrimination and for helping some 200 Allied soldiers escape from German-occupied Belgium during the First World War, for which she was arrested. She was accused of treason, found guilty by a court-martial and sentenced to death. Despite international pressure for mercy, she was shot by a German firing squad. Her execution received worldwide condemnation and extensive press coverage.

The night before her execution, she said, "Patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." These words were later inscribed on a memorial to her near Trafalgar Square. Her strong Anglican beliefs propelled her to help all those who needed it, both German and Allied soldiers. She was quoted as saying, "I can’t stop while there are lives to be saved." The Church of England commemorates her in its Calendar of Saints on 12 October.

I think that says all we need to know about the word patriotism and the shocking way this word is now used in an almost fascistic way.

PippaZ Sun 07-Feb-21 15:29:58

Thank you Suziewoozie. We frequently seem to find that folks have walked this way before and managed to put into simple words what we often struggle to say.

EllanVannin Sun 07-Feb-21 16:49:22

" fascistic way ?"

suziewoozie Sun 07-Feb-21 17:00:39

EllanVannin

" fascistic way ?"

Absolutely - every year with the poppy and recently with statues and then Capt Tom. Wild accusations of hating your country if you don’t wear a poppy/ wear one of the wrong colour/ think slave traders should be called out/ put forward the opinion that Capt Tom should not have a statue/ have a hospital named after him/ have a state funeral etc etc. I agree with Samuel Johnson

Peasblossom Sun 07-Feb-21 17:06:25

Need a bit of help with the Samuel Johnson reference?

Can I just put in a plea for her name to be pronounced correctly. Cavell as in gravel. Not Cavelle.

There is a school in Bedford named after her, but they can’t be bothered to get her name right ?

M0nica Sun 07-Feb-21 17:31:33

What has Mary Seacole got to do with it? She aided soldiers in the Crimean War (1853-1856). and nobody executed her for doing so. Edith Cavell was in WW1 and died for her principles

Nurses and doctors throughout time have a commendable record of treating soldiers from both sides equally. Vera Brittain describes nursing German soldiers in British Army hospitals in France at this time. Others, like Edith Cavell, helped nurse resistance workers as well.

She was unfortunate to be caught, sent to trial, condemned and executed. The government made a big deal over her trial and death because at that time in WW1, there was a propaganda campaign on to show that the Germans were evil and bestial, killing babies, committing wholesale rape and other atrocities.

Her execution, a woman, and a noble nurse, who treated everyone, and died for her principles, gave the British and French government a superb propaganda coup.

Things are never quite what they seem to be. Would there have been all the publicity and the statue, if it hadn't been politically advantagious?

suziewoozie Sun 07-Feb-21 21:42:11

Peasblossom

Need a bit of help with the Samuel Johnson reference?

Can I just put in a plea for her name to be pronounced correctly. Cavell as in gravel. Not Cavelle.

There is a school in Bedford named after her, but they can’t be bothered to get her name right ?

Samuel Johnson said that patriotism was the last refuge of the scoundrel.

M0nica Sun 07-Feb-21 22:44:07

But not the only refuge of the scoundrel, which leaves a lot of space for all those who are honest and admirable

suziewoozie Mon 08-Feb-21 09:13:52

The problem is that the public face of patriotism is ugly, twisted and full of hate. The responses to people who dared to express reservations about the completely OTT reaction to the death of Capt Tom was frankly appalling - where were your honest and admirable patriots then in trying to calm it down?

25Avalon Mon 08-Feb-21 09:21:16

That’s why I’ve always respected the Salvation Army. They don’t ask questions about race, gender, religion etc. They just ask if someone is in need and do their best to help.

M0nica Mon 08-Feb-21 09:23:28

I limited my reservations to GN, which saved me a lot of trouble.

eazybee Mon 08-Feb-21 09:25:41

Why should 'honest and admirable patriots'they try to calm it down?
People are entitled to make whatever response they feel appropriate, just as you are doing here.

Peasblossom Mon 08-Feb-21 09:37:01

Thanks suziewoozie. The quote sounds familiar now.?

Alexa Mon 08-Feb-21 10:27:36

Eazybee: "entitled" ?