Gransnet forums

Relationships

Do I stay or do I go?

(17 Posts)
LaCrepescule Thu 08-Dec-22 10:17:40

I’m 65 and have been in a new relationship for just over a year. He wants to get married but I’m happy with the status quo of spending two nights a week at his house and seeing him daily for a dog walk of coffee. He’s intelligent and very supportive but can be very dour and the sex is non-existent. I’m terrified of getting an incurable cancer that runs in my family and think I’m only with him because of the fear of getting ill and not having support (although I do have a lovely daughter who I know would be there for me).

Do I stay or do I go? I’ve told him that this is all I’m able to give right now and he says he’s accepted it but I know deep down it’s not what he wants. Am I being unfair to him?

FlexibleFriend Thu 08-Dec-22 10:24:00

You've told him what you want and are willing to give so now it's up to him to decide if that's ok with him. Although if you're only with him because you don't want to be alone that's not really fair.

Namsnanny Thu 08-Dec-22 10:25:06

Stay with things the way they are.
Be kind and attentive when you are together.
Let him decide if he doesnt like the situation, and do what suits him about it.
A marriage, feeling the way you do would be a burden to you and unfair to him imv.

IrishDancing Thu 08-Dec-22 10:29:22

I agree with Namsnanny.

BigBertha1 Thu 08-Dec-22 10:47:35

STAY!!!

Ilovecheese Thu 08-Dec-22 10:49:01

As long as you are honest with him about your reasons you are not being unfair.

sodapop Thu 08-Dec-22 12:01:45

FlexibleFriend

You've told him what you want and are willing to give so now it's up to him to decide if that's ok with him. Although if you're only with him because you don't want to be alone that's not really fair.

I agree with FlexibleFriend

ParlorGames Thu 08-Dec-22 12:07:52

I don't think you are being unfair. You have told him what you want from the relationship haven't you?
I am in a second relationship and neither of us want to re-marry; bother been there already and both badly scared, physically and emotionally.

LaCrepescule Thu 08-Dec-22 12:13:25

Thank you. Yes, I can’t give more and I think he knows that now. He can also be very grumpy and unaffectionate and I need space from that.

Fleur20 Thu 08-Dec-22 14:21:23

A relationship only works if both parties get something acceptable from it.
You have been honest, its his choice to stay or go.
But do not 'settle' for grumpy and unaffectionate..

Wyllow3 Thu 08-Dec-22 14:27:59

Fleur20

A relationship only works if both parties get something acceptable from it.
You have been honest, its his choice to stay or go.
But do not 'settle' for grumpy and unaffectionate..

Or no sex, if you want that. Or are cuddles enough - if you get them? I cant imagine having someone special without a physical side (not necessarily sex, but loving touch)

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Dec-22 14:28:12

I'm sorry but grumpy and affectionate would be a no no for me. Are you content with this. I don't think so if you've felt it worth mentioning.
Meantime you are preventing yourself from meeting someone who could provide a warmer relationship.
I wish you well.

LaCrepescule Thu 08-Dec-22 18:08:00

Cuddles are enough, my libido died years ago and I’m fine with that! But he’s younger than me and I’m not sure how to handle it. Sometimes he’s really lovely to me but the grumpy side of him is a real pain. Guess I’ll just keep to the status quo and see what happens. Thank you all for the advice 🙏

FarNorth Thu 08-Dec-22 18:21:47

Would this man really be a support to you, if you became ill?
Or would he feel he could back off a bit, as you are just friends?

You've been honest.
It's fair enough to stay if you're happy with how things are and your friend has accepted that too.
But accept that he may not feel as committed to you as a husband would.

FarNorth Thu 08-Dec-22 18:23:16

I'm in no way recommending you to get married, btw, as it's not what you want.

Wyllow3 Thu 08-Dec-22 18:27:15

The main thing is you have been honest with him.
If he is honest back then you are right, see how it pans out. See if/how your feelings change...if/how his feelings change.

Hetty58 Thu 08-Dec-22 18:28:12

LaCrepescule, I think the only valid reason to marry is being madly in love and needing to be together. You have the best of both worlds, times of independence and also company. He'd soon get on your nerves if you lived with him full time!