Gransnet forums

Relationships

Wedding related manners/etiquette

(99 Posts)
Emelle Mon 05-Dec-22 15:35:09

One of our nephews on DH side is getting married this month. None of our family have been invited which is absolutely fine. However, my husband has just been asked to give his DM a lift to and from the venue. I have my own thoughts on this but would love to know how other people think he should respond.

Lathyrus Mon 05-Dec-22 15:39:51

Was it his Mum who asked for the lift?

Calendargirl Mon 05-Dec-22 15:40:10

How far away from your home, and his mother’s home, is the venue?

Does his DM live close to you?

Perhaps a relative who is going to the wedding could give his DM a lift ?

ParlorGames Mon 05-Dec-22 15:41:00

Why can't the nephews parents arrange DM transport? I would be tempted to be too busy that day.

Blossoming Mon 05-Dec-22 15:43:00

It seems odd as he’s not invited to attend.

62Granny Mon 05-Dec-22 15:43:01

I would be a bit put out TBH, but if she lives reasonably near you and your husband doesn't mind doing it I would suck it up and let him .Is it his mum asking or the brother /sister whose sons wedding it is? If he doesn't want to do it I say you have already made plans for the day, shopping , pre Christmas meet up with friends as you weren't invited to the wedding so didn't think it would be a problem.

Lathyrus Mon 05-Dec-22 15:45:31

Or you can just do something nice for his Mum.

Theexwife Mon 05-Dec-22 15:45:38

If his mother asked for the lift I do not see a problem, he is doing a favour for his mother. If the nephew asked then it is a bit of a cheek.

Emelle Mon 05-Dec-22 15:47:43

To answer the questions - the round trip is about 40 miles and the request came DH's sister.

ParlorGames Mon 05-Dec-22 15:50:46

Emelle

To answer the questions - the round trip is about 40 miles and the request came DH's sister.

Thanks for the update Emelle; and under those circumstances it would be a resounding NO from me and my OH. Rather cheeky of her IMO, why can't they pick her up the day before and put her up for a couple of nights?

Lathyrus Mon 05-Dec-22 15:54:38

Will it mean she can’t go if your DH doesn’t take her?

Calendargirl Mon 05-Dec-22 15:58:27

Well, after reading the update, I too am inclined to think DH’s sister is being rather cheeky asking for lifts for his mum.

A different matter if he was a guest.

Theexwife Mon 05-Dec-22 16:02:40

After reading who the request came from and the distance, I would say no, her daughter should do the pick-up and drop-off.

Hithere Mon 05-Dec-22 16:22:17

"No, it doesn't work for us"

AreWeThereYet Mon 05-Dec-22 16:28:23

Lathyrus

Or you can just do something nice for his Mum.

Ditto

NotTooOld Mon 05-Dec-22 17:13:59

It is cheeky but I would do it for my mum if she was still around which, sadly, she is not.

eazybee Mon 05-Dec-22 17:35:46

40 miles! That is a cheek, but if it meant his mother can't get to the wedding then I suppose I would, How is she getting back?

Calendargirl Mon 05-Dec-22 17:51:02

eazybee

40 miles! That is a cheek, but if it meant his mother can't get to the wedding then I suppose I would, How is she getting back?

The request was for a lift to and from the venue.

And TBH, if it’s a case of ‘Well, if you don’t bring her, Mum won’t be able to come”, that is really mean, leaving the DH to feel horribly guilty.

ElaineI Mon 05-Dec-22 18:10:31

It is a bit much not to ask him to stay as what will he do when the wedding is happening? If he came home it would be an 80 mile round trip.

snowberryZ Mon 05-Dec-22 18:25:32

What's he supposed to do while the wedding and reception is taking place? They should offer him food. Or something.At the very least they could squash him in. Could he not be his mother's plus one?

Fleur20 Mon 05-Dec-22 19:51:16

Well bearing in mind the costs..maybe they have had to restrict numbers..
Maybe they could be approached to help with fuel costs... or maybe DM would be happy to contribute.
Depending on agegroup...this might be one of the few family events DMs generation could or would be able to attend....
Or you could just say no....

mumofmadboys Mon 05-Dec-22 22:42:40

I would just smile and do it. 40 miles isn't far. Keep the family peace and just do it.

CanadianGran Mon 05-Dec-22 22:50:51

To be gracious, I would give the lift to the venue, but it seems odd that they want him to bring her home as well. wouldn't that be late at night? And what would he do in the meantime...Sit in his car looking glum with some takeout?

Perhaps offer the ride there, and let his sister figure out how to get mum home or to a hotel.

notgran Tue 06-Dec-22 08:13:01

I would totally do it, it's his Mum for goodness sake and 40 miles is less of a distance than my daughter commutes each day. I would also go with them and have a lovely day out spending the money you aren't spending on gifts/drinks etc at the wedding. To use that overworked phrase, Be Kind (to your MiL)

Franbern Tue 06-Dec-22 08:54:29

I fail to understand what dilemma there is. Surely, giving Mum a lift to and from somewhere for her to have a nice day out, is the least a loving son can do.
TBH, I am pretty horrified that this request is even being queried.