Gransnet forums

Relationships

Tactless or underlying nastiness ?

(38 Posts)
ClareAB Fri 02-Dec-22 18:38:20

I don't know how to manage my husbands 'tactlessness'.
Long story short, I was immobile for a couple of years due to knee issues and became very depressed.
My husband looked after me as well as he could. It was hard on him.
I have since had both knees replaced, and six months after the last one, I am in a much better way. I can do so much more, and am so happy to be able to go on dog walks, go shopping, play with my granddaughter, make plans. After being in a very dark place for what seems a long time, I'm feeling excited about life again.
My husband says that he is delighted, happy, excited etc, but he also keeps making pointed remarks along the lines of
" does your new found good health mean you're going to keep talking this much?' where you ill when I met you? I never remember you having so much energy/talk so much?'
One thing he said that has worried me, is that he kind of preferred it when I was upstairs in bed immobile, as he felt useful, and in control of things.
Today, I tried to explain how it feels as though he's trying to shut me down, when I've just come alive again.
He responded by telling me that although he had loved me when I was ill, he loved me more now that I was well. He absolutely did not get that that was an awful thing to say. That the amount of love was conditional on how well I was.
He got very angry when I pointed this out to him, and told me he would not speak to me at all, as nothing he said was right.
Stalemate.
I am at a loss to be honest. We have been together for 14 years and in many ways he is the kindest person I know. Then he is also the most condescending, tactless, emotionally illiterate, then absolutely amazing.
Any ideas folks?

Blossoming Fri 02-Dec-22 19:33:15

I think he was trying to reassure you, in a very clumsy way.

Grandmabatty Fri 02-Dec-22 19:34:51

It sounds like he can't win! You tell him you didn't like how he behaved when you were ill. He tries to say he loves you now you are well and you think that's an awful thing to say! I think, without more information, he can't win. It may be that he is controlling but I don't think you've given enough information to say that

Namsnanny Fri 02-Dec-22 19:39:57

Well, it's hard to give a fair opinion but it sounds a bit controlling or passive aggressive of him.

Although his reaction was as if he felt cornered.

AreWeThereYet Fri 02-Dec-22 19:46:34

I agree it sounds like he can't win. None of us is perfect. He's kind, he loves you, he did his best for you when you were ill (even if it wasn't perfect for you) but like a lot of people he has difficulty expressing himself.

I have foot in mouth disease and often when I mean to say something nice it comes out all wrong. Mr A sometimes does the same. But I usually know what he means and know that he doesn't mean to be condescending or tactless. If I'm in a contrary mood I might pick him up on it but that just leaves him feeling bad when he was trying to be nice so I try not to do it often.

icanhandthemback Fri 02-Dec-22 19:54:34

I think using the word 'love' to describe how he feels is not the right word. He probably loved you just as much either way but finds it easier now you are well. I don't think it was an awful thing to say, just badly explained.

I don't think he is necessarily means he wants to be in control of you, he probably means that he knew exactly what his role was, felt more useful and knew he was unlikely to get things wrong.

Try to focus on the positive things of your recovery and new found energy whilst keeping firmly in mind that your husband is a nice person. It's too easy to be critical and find reasons to be unhappy rather than looking at our blessings.

VioletSky Fri 02-Dec-22 20:00:14

No what he is saying isn't very nice and is tactless

Maybe he is struggling with the change in your energy levels but he could let you know a different way or organise himself some peace and quiet if he needs it

Maybe you could suggest that to him, find him an area of the house to be in

Nothing wrong with him needing some alone time. I would just tell my husband that though, that I need quiet time

Oreo Fri 02-Dec-22 20:03:26

He’s just being a man😃
Contrary to some ways of thinking a man isn’t a woman in trousers if you get what I mean.
I think he sounds kind and helpful, a keeper in fact.
Look for ways to do things out and about together and let him still help around the house to feel useful.

AreWeThereYet Fri 02-Dec-22 20:15:05

I may be wrong but to be honest he sounds a bit lost to me. Did he used to go out to work? Maybe he hasn't found an area of the house management that he can call his own that he can take control off. We split the gardening for instance - I mow the grass, de-moss the patio, clean the porch and path. Mr A brushes up the leaves and acorns, cleans the garage doors, does most of the digging and planting and takes charge of the pots and hanging baskets. Sometimes we do things together, sometimes one of us will disappear out and do what needs doing.

Hetty58 Fri 02-Dec-22 20:15:26

It just sounds like a typical, tactless and clumsy man talking to me. Perhaps he needs some time to adjust to the new you. You feel much better and 'back to normal', while he's worried that maybe you don't need him so much.

bluebird243 Fri 02-Dec-22 22:31:37

Just sounds like he is adjusting, again, to a change in your health. He did his bit when you were unwell and is happy for you now but doesn't express himself very well. He seems a bit confused about his role now.
Not everyone is good at saying how they feel and many of us use the wrong words/terms and the meaning gets misinterpreted.
Cut him some slack. You sound snippy and as if he can't do or say anything right. Sounds like he has done his best. Is that enough for you?

ClareAB Fri 02-Dec-22 22:34:14

Thank you for your wise words. I think we are both struggling to adjust.
To clarify. I think he was trying to be reassuring when he said he loved me when I was ill and he loves me more now I'm well. I was triggered. We've had a cuddle. I know him well enough to know he is nearly always coming from a good place. Just sometimes he hits a nerve. Xx

nadateturbe Fri 02-Dec-22 22:38:50

I think he adjusted to you being ill and looking after you and got used to a lot of time alone. He's having to readjust now, even though he loves you and is glad you're feeling better. He's being honest with you, although maybe not expressing himself well.
It will take time for you both to settle into the new pattern. He sounds very caring. Maybe give him some more time alone.

nanna8 Fri 02-Dec-22 22:46:10

I can see why he was angry. He was looking for a bit of thanks for standing by you and helping and now he is happy you are well. What’s wrong with that? He didn’t express himself too well is all.

BlueBelle Fri 02-Dec-22 22:47:44

Poor bloke can’t do right for doing wrong I think you probably read it wrong and he was trying to reassure you
I hope you both adjust he sounds a good bloke just thinks and says things a bit differently to you
Men don’t adjust so easily ( usually) they re not, in my opinion, so good at changes I m sure he meant well
Good luck for the future

Caleo Fri 02-Dec-22 23:04:07

Seems to be joking relationship.

Caleo Fri 02-Dec-22 23:05:58

On his part, but you don't play your part in the banter.

LRavenscroft Sat 03-Dec-22 07:21:14

Oreo

He’s just being a man😃
Contrary to some ways of thinking a man isn’t a woman in trousers if you get what I mean.
I think he sounds kind and helpful, a keeper in fact.
Look for ways to do things out and about together and let him still help around the house to feel useful.

Very sound advice. I know men whose way of caring is to make a cup of tea and offer a biscuit.

Katie59 Sat 03-Dec-22 08:38:55

Are you being tactless, he nursed you through your illness, now you are criticizing him for clumsy remarks, or were you always like that before.
Give him a break, men don’t like the constant chatter that many women do as normal.

Luckygirl3 Sat 03-Dec-22 09:37:40

Give him a break - cut him a bit of slack - find your sense of humour - take him out for a nice meal to thank him for looking after you ................

Blossoming Sat 03-Dec-22 09:43:07

I’m glad you’ve kissed and made up ClareAB. Now you can enjoy your newfound health and mobility together flowers

Sometimes these remarks get to us more than they should 😊

ClareAB Sat 03-Dec-22 16:04:05

In the spirit of fairness, I told him about this post and the resounding message was to cut the poor bloke some slack. It made his day.
He wants to know if any of you are single grin

Babs758 Sat 03-Dec-22 16:08:00

Ha ha! My husband is the same . Brilliant at looking after me when I am I’ll but a bit resentful of my independence when I’m better! Maybe you should plan something nice to do together that involves some walking to celebrate your new knees!

pascal30 Sat 03-Dec-22 20:01:35

He's telling his truth. Be grateful you an trust him to do that.

Wyllow3 Sat 03-Dec-22 20:13:53

"You feel much better and 'back to normal', while he's worried that maybe you don't need him so much."

that rung true.

needs change and adjustment not smooth.