Gransnet forums

Relationships

Help needed with overbearing MIL

(30 Posts)
Dilin Wed 30-Nov-22 14:44:31

I am actually a daughter in law that is looking for some advice from other MILs on my current situation. I am a new mom and want to make sure I’m not overreacting or my hormones are getting the better of me!

I have been with my partner for 6 years, he has always had a good relationship with his parents. He would speak to his mother most days over text and I liked that he was close. When I came into the picture I was welcomed and felt like I was the daughter they never had! Never had any issues ……. Until I became pregnant.

Now before I go into the events that have happened, I need to explain her behaviour. She is not confrontational at all, in fact, she is always the one who couldn’t possibly do xyz, scared of everything - my complete opposite!! Everyone would say she was harmless, but I’m now thinking there is more to all of this.

The first concern was when I was pregnant. This is her first grandchild, and of course she was excited. She kept saying that as soon as I went into labour she would get her husband to drive up straight away ( they live 1.5hr away). This immediately made me tense up, I wasn’t comfortable with this. When my partner tried to use covid visiting as a reason they couldn’t come to the hospital, she said that she would just come and wait at our house. I didn’t want to come back to anyone in my house, there was no asking or any thought to if this was appropriate. Int he end we ended up having a c section in secret so we could make sure that we would have our space.

Visiting was getting intense, every two weeks and they would stay all day, on the last occasion before we said something, they didn’t get up to us til 2pm and we’re still here at 8pm when we were trying to do bedtime. For anyone who has had a newborn, any change to routine is a nightmare, and we had tears for hours. When my husband told them that they will have to come up for 10am but leave after lunch it was met with sulking and being told that she didn’t feel welcome in our home.

When she is here, it isn’t like she takes over, she has never gone to pick her up or even changed a nappy, she sits there just squealing at her every mood and I can feel the unspoken plea of give me the baby. My baby doesn’t really settle with her so naturally baby then starts to play up. We booked a family holiday ( first holiday in 3 years) and we found out through other family that they had secretly booked the same holiday, in the same hotel. When my husband confronted them, they said they were going to surprise us by being there when we checked in and thought they could baby sit our 5 month old over night so we could have some time together ( they have never looked after her alone ever)

They were told they had crossed a line and did cancel the holiday, but they do not think that they were in the wrong for this at all.

My partner has constantly told them to stop buying baby gifts. We feel strongly about baby having too much stuff and becoming expectant, yet she still continues to buy stuff. To the point my husband says no take it back with you, she then just sits there and sulks.

Most recently she annoyed that she had already purchased baby a wooden Christmas advent, something that I, as the mother, wanted to buy my child. There was no asking if it was ok, has we already done it etc

It is clear that she thinks that it is me that is saying no and in her opinion keeping her away from the baby, she has said to family that she just wants the chance to be a grandmother, which we are trying to give her but on our terms not hers.

This whole situation is making me really quite depressed, it’s caused arguments in my relationship and I am left feeling anxious and resentful at every interaction.

Any advice from MILs out there would be very welcomed xx

ParlorGames Wed 30-Nov-22 14:59:44

Firstly, stop telling her things. By that, I mean do not discuss holidays, days out, what baby needs etc as your MIL is picking up on every opportunity to take control and be included in your plans.
Donate any unwanted items she has purchased to a clothing/toy bank, there are many people worldwide in need of clothing for their infants, alternatively you could sell them on and put the cash in baby's bank account.
You and your OH have to have a united front and MIL needs to be assured that not all the decisions come from you as an individual.
You, your OH and the baby are a family unit now, enjoy.

icanhandthemback Wed 30-Nov-22 15:08:20

First let me say that it is yours and your husband's baby so what you two choose to accept from parents is entirely up to you alone. What would be unreasonable in one family may not be in another. It sounds like your MIL is giving messages that she is desperate to be an important person in her grandaughter's life which is making her act like the MIL most people don't want. To be honest, when she was having her children, MIL's probably got away with this because it was more accepted then than today.
Before you make up your mind that either party is being totally unreasonable, talk to your husband about what the two of you feel is acceptable behaviour from all of your parents. Once the two of you agree then you can tackle the parents. It is so important that they see that you are standing together. No saying, "I'd let you, but x doesn't want it." No doubt there will be compromises to be made on your part (and his) but at least you and your husband will be able to sing from the same hymn sheet.
Once you have decided on what you both expect, you can speak to your in-laws. Perhaps there are areas where you can suggest they help (say a nappy change or two) and how you want to go about presents. You can always hand on unwanted stuff to charity. If you've told them and they continue, they can only expect you to get rid of it and another family without generous in-laws can benefit.
Finally, it is normal to communicate with your own parents more easily and accept help from them. Just make sure you are giving your in-laws the same opportunities. If they do things differently, teach them your way.
Good luck.

Smileless2012 Wed 30-Nov-22 15:11:13

It looks as if you're doing everything right Dilin and very importantly, doing it together.

It does sound rather extreme to have opted for a 'c' section which unless I'm mistaken is what you did, rather than say no and refusing to let them into your home when the time came.

You say your m.i.l. has never taken it upon herself to pick your baby up or do a nappy change, which suggests there are at least a couple of self imposed boundaries.

Your husband is doing well, confronting them about their holiday booking which resulted in them cancelling, and telling her to take back unwanted gifts. Your child is a baby so far too young to begin to have expectations of a never ending supply of presents.

There's nothing to stop you from buying your own wooden advent calendar and that being the one you use. Your husband can tell his mum that the one she's purchased isn't required, or you could have two in different rooms.

Try and focus on the positives, the main one being that your husband is fully supportive and is the one directly dealing with his mum. It's not unheard of for husbands in his position to abdicate all responsibility, and be unable or unwilling to stand up to their mum.

It's probably a good thing that they live 1.5 hours away which should enable you to visit them or have them visit you when you and your husband are happy to do so.

Hopefully things will settle down and the constantly reinforced messages will begin to sink in. It does sound like your m.i.l. is an over excited granny rather than intending any malice.

Dilin Wed 30-Nov-22 15:20:25

Yes, I have already started to donate and have got a link to some charities that I have suggested if family buy less for her and make a donation instead.

She doesn’t message me really asking questions , but I know my husband gets asked for photos daily, and if they don’t come gets told that she is sad that she hadn’t had any ( not ideal when you are at work!) x

Dilin Wed 30-Nov-22 15:24:27

I was told I was having a c section, and we decided to take it as an opportunity to be able to experience the birth on our own without the pressure of family wanting to know what was happening and coming to visit, believe me, I would not have voluntarily gone through that!

I do believe that it comes from a good place, and there has already been a long conversation about what we as a family are happy with which had been communicated after the holiday incident, the issue is that it seems to have fallen on deaf ears or the bits that were acknowledged they don’t feel happy about. It just brings a lot of guilt to our plate I suppose.

X

AreWeThereYet Wed 30-Nov-22 15:46:42

I really feel for you. I have a friend who was 'that MiL' 😄 She nearly drove her DD crazy. She used to give me regular updates, show me the texts and pictures. The good news is that her DD and SiL managed to put up with it until she got over it and 'retrained' her as to what to expect. She is now a valued 'Nanna' who has her 3 GC to stay while parents have time off. One of the things DD did was to specify in advance what she would like for GD's presents. The first thing was a 'very special' mobile for the nursery. The second was a 'special' quilt for GD's first bed (which now hangs on the wall in GD's bedroom as she is now 7). She was also asked to put any money into savings instead of presents so GD could choose for herself when she was older. Things calmed down after the first and she now has 3 GC and did the same for all of them.

It's worth remembering that MiL has never been a GP before. Her expectations will be based on family experiences she had herself and those of her friends. Which may not be the same as your expectations. I'm sure she doesn't mean to be overbearing and once she understands that she has a place as a GM she may be easier to live with.

My response to constant demands for photos would be to laugh and say 'Good lord, Mam, we don't take photos every day you know. We'll send you one when we take one'.

icanhandthemback Wed 30-Nov-22 15:48:45

I know my husband gets asked for photos daily, and if they don’t come gets told that she is sad that she hadn’t had any

He needs to tell her that he hasn't got any and cannot respond whilst at work. If he just keeps reiterating it, he can copy and paste. She will get the message.

the issue is that it seems to have fallen on deaf ears or the bits that were acknowledged they don’t feel happy about.

They don't have to be happy with it, you do. You can't control people's emotions so don't even try. They will get used to it but they have to drop their vision of what they thought being a Grandparent was all about. Maybe you also need to reiterate how important it is to have grandparents in your life too so it balances out what they think they are losing.

If you get this sorted, you will have other children sorted too so it is worth the hassle.

Hithere Wed 30-Nov-22 16:21:41

This is a clear case of baby rabies

You, your dh decide what is best for your family and what boundaries anybody must follow, including mil

You want a visit per month? That's what she is told
She complains? Cancel and agree to meet in 2 months
Meet in a restaurant so you determine the length of the visit

She comes to your house with presents you did not agree with?
They do not come in and visit is cancelled

You get the drill - it is good training when your baby is 2 years old and trantruming

Hithere Wed 30-Nov-22 16:31:26

"I know my husband gets asked for photos daily, and if they don’t come gets told that she is sad that she hadn’t had any"

This is a red flag you must take seriously

What if your dd does not do what she wants?
Is she going to guilt a child to conform with her grandma experience?

Unless you put a stop to this one, you are in a much bigger hole that will harm your dd

Smileless2012 Wed 30-Nov-22 17:03:10

Thank you for clarifying about the 'c' section Dilin.

Very OTT responses Hithere. "She comes to you house with presents you did not agree with? They do not come in and visit is cancelled?" Really, when they live 1.5 hours away!!! Much better to do what Dilin's husband is doing and say they gifts aren't wanted and to be taken back when they leave.

"Is she going to guilt a child to conform with her grandma experience?" She doesn't appear to be guilt tripping the son we know from the OP she has a close relationship with, so unlikely with the steps already being taken by her GD's parents, to be able to guilt trip their D.

"........... you are in a much bigger hole that will harm your dd". I don't see how suggesting that the OP's D could be at harm from her over enthusiastic and at times insensitive GM is helpful.

Hithere Wed 30-Nov-22 17:08:35

What is was ott, smileless, is you questioning her csection - being elective or not

That is none of your business

Smileless2012 Wed 30-Nov-22 17:19:20

It was in the OP Hithere, information given which for me wasn't clear. There's nothing in the OP to suggest that her m.i.l.'s behaviour could be harmful to her D; that is OTT.

HappyZebra Wed 30-Nov-22 19:20:03

I have just been through this with my MIL. It's hard. It does come from a good place but its mismatched expectations. Don't take the guilt on board. They are her emotions to handle not yours. She had her chance to decide what happens with her children, you get the same. Be confident and clear. It's great practice for when your own child is older. It might be worth biting the bullet and talking to her about how she is making you feel. Figure out what is annoying you the most and tell her how it makes you feel and why you want her to stop. I.e. I feel that when you buy all these presents for my child I don't get the chance to pick out things myself. I definitely want you to be able to purchase things but I feel bad that we have to give things away and sometimes it makes me sad that I didn't get the opportunity to buy them myself as his mum. I am sure you are buying things because you love my child but I'm also sure you'd prefer them to associate you with love not money. Not buying them a present every visit doesn't mean you don't love them. I was actually really hurt that you bought an advent calendar I had been really looking forward to picking one. I'll use this one this time but please would you run an idea by me beforehand. I'd love for us to be on the same page so you get to be a grandma and I get to be a mum. Or something similar. If she doesn't take that on board - continue to send her back with things.

Don't feel bad for being assertive - she will feel hurt initially but the truth is you are feeling hurt right now. To get to a level playing field something has to give. Good luck. It does fade a little with time.

Madgran77 Wed 30-Nov-22 19:20:55

You, your dh decide what is best for your family and what boundaries anybody must follow, including mil

Absolutely agree!

*You want a visit per month? That's what she is told
She complains? Cancel and agree to meet in 2 months*

Why on earth not just say "This is what we are happy with at the moment; we love to see you once a month, so let's all enjoy that time together! We understand that you want to come more often but that does not work for us. I'm afraid that if you do come more often, we just won't be able to accommodate you, which would be so unfortunate as you live 1.5 hours' drive away!"

She comes to your house with presents you did not agree with. They do not come in and visit is cancelled

Er why? The OPs DH is dealing with this perfectly well by telling her to take the presents away again!

I just don't see why such difficulties (and I do think MIL is in the wrong) need to be dealt with by being quite so unpleasant!

And "Baby Rabies" ...what a horrible phrase! - as someone brought up in a country where rabies was rife and who has seen exactly what an animal with rabies looks like and does that really is offensive to read!!

Madgran77 Wed 30-Nov-22 19:23:49

HappyZebra

I have just been through this with my MIL. It's hard. It does come from a good place but its mismatched expectations. Don't take the guilt on board. They are her emotions to handle not yours. She had her chance to decide what happens with her children, you get the same. Be confident and clear. It's great practice for when your own child is older. It might be worth biting the bullet and talking to her about how she is making you feel. Figure out what is annoying you the most and tell her how it makes you feel and why you want her to stop. I.e. I feel that when you buy all these presents for my child I don't get the chance to pick out things myself. I definitely want you to be able to purchase things but I feel bad that we have to give things away and sometimes it makes me sad that I didn't get the opportunity to buy them myself as his mum. I am sure you are buying things because you love my child but I'm also sure you'd prefer them to associate you with love not money. Not buying them a present every visit doesn't mean you don't love them. I was actually really hurt that you bought an advent calendar I had been really looking forward to picking one. I'll use this one this time but please would you run an idea by me beforehand. I'd love for us to be on the same page so you get to be a grandma and I get to be a mum. Or something similar. If she doesn't take that on board - continue to send her back with things.

Don't feel bad for being assertive - she will feel hurt initially but the truth is you are feeling hurt right now. To get to a level playing field something has to give. Good luck. It does fade a little with time.

Good advice Happy Zebra. Clear, assertive, recognising the motivations but also making clear exactly what is wanted and the impact of those behaviours on you. Your suggestions enable MIL to think about and face up to the impact of her behaviours, a kind way to conduct the relationship, even when difficulties are encountered

Smileless2012 Wed 30-Nov-22 19:26:04

It does come from a good place but its mismatched expectations my thoughts too HappyZebra.

"Baby Rabies" I agree Madgran an extremely unpleasant phrase.

Hithere Wed 30-Nov-22 19:30:47

Coming from a good place is apologising when you realize you crossed a line

This mil is clearly not very repentant on her behaviour and willing to adapt

Allsorts Wed 30-Nov-22 19:44:35

I do think mil is over the top and its intolerable and I would sit down with her and explain some ground rules, how you want things to be. I can’t see her son doing it. All sorted, you hold the cards and she will know where she stands. I think some of the replies quite harsh. She’s hardly likely to harm dil or gd. But you want to raise your daughter your way, there is no need to be confrontational just assert yourself.

Madgran77 Wed 30-Nov-22 19:45:53

Coming from a good place is apologising when you realize you crossed a line

Yes, which is why the very specific advice given by Happy Zebra gives the opportunity for a very over enthusiastic and somewhat thoughtless MIL, (and yes definitely someone who has learnt guilt tripping/sulking as a way to try and get what they want) to rethink their behaviours and start again/improve! A chance is given whilst allowing the family to draw their red line. There is no excuse for confusion available with assertive straight talking rather than nastiness!

Norah Wed 30-Nov-22 19:58:39

Oh dear, such terribly badly unmatched expectations.

I'm sorry, I hope mil "causing arguments in your relationship and leaving you anxious, resentful" and depressed is something that can be sorted. Perhaps counselling might help?

Gifting "unnecessary stuff" - it appears you have solved with your husband asking her to take it back with her. The sulking at the request - you can't stop that - but she is giving you a strong view to who she is and it's not nice.

I'd suggest pulling way back, shortening visits, lengthening time between visits - people tend to understand you mean what you say if you say what you want and insist on compliance.

Our 4 daughters wouldn't put up with what you're being subjected to. Think on what you would accept and lay in some boundaries?

Smileless2012 Wed 30-Nov-22 20:03:15

TBF the OP's husband seems to be doing a good job with his over enthusiastic mother Allsorts. Telling her to take unwanted gifts home with her and as a result of his conversation with her, getting his parents to cancel the holiday.

A chance is given whilst allowing the family to draw their red line the right thing to do for everyone Madgran.

LRavenscroft Wed 30-Nov-22 20:16:21

Please, please stick to your guns OP. This is one special time in your life when you should be allowed to do your thing in your way. If you give in it will get worse and worse and you will become resentful. Please keep your boundaries firm. It is a good lesson to learn for life as some people do not recognise boundaries and must have them drawn out.

Norah Wed 30-Nov-22 20:22:17

LRavenscroft

Please, please stick to your guns OP. This is one special time in your life when you should be allowed to do your thing in your way. If you give in it will get worse and worse and you will become resentful. Please keep your boundaries firm. It is a good lesson to learn for life as some people do not recognise boundaries and must have them drawn out.

Excellent advice.

I'd add mil has had her turn raising children.

A great reason for her to step back, behind your boundaries.

Hetty58 Wed 30-Nov-22 20:23:42

I was anticipating the 'overenthusiastic granny' post that seems to pop up when it's quiet on here. There's always the questions about routines and boundaries, how to approach the 'problem' etc. It's strange, because, out here in the real world, in my circle, it simply doesn't occur. I've never been - or met - such a creature, instead there's an opposite dilemma.

We rarely visit, instead they visit us - quite often enough - and sometimes too often, although, of course, we love to see them - do they have to stay all day? They assume we don't have plans, a life - or anything else (more interesting) to do.

They firmly believe we'll be delighted to babysit (yet again) - or fascinated listening to endless dialogue of baby's progress, their outings, events, quirky personalities, routines and expectations (as if we'd never, ever mothered anyone and simply haven't a clue). Really, it's not rocket science and we don't need instructions.

Secretly, we moan to each other about another Saturday night spent stuck indoors 'grandchild wrangling' - and trying to have a fun time for all. How do we reduce the time/frequency of our 'grandma duties' - without upsetting anyone? We arrange to join forces and visit each other, so the kids can 'socialise' - but really so we can chat to take the edge off!