Gransnet forums

Relationships

Issues with my brother and ex sister in law

(24 Posts)
Betty25 Fri 04-Nov-22 16:43:27

My brother is my only sibling. We have never been close and now we are both retired I feel this is as good as it going to get which is fine.
My brother married 45 years ago and his then wife became a sister that I never had. We still get on famously and spend time together. My brother and sister in law split up 26 years ago. My brother had met someone at Open University, left my sister in law and 2 children and now lives in Spain after marrying her. 26 years ago my sister in law was a mess and could not understand why my brother left her, even today she will ask what she did so wrong that he left her.
When they split up, my brother did the honourable thing and ensured that she and the children were financially settled.
Very shortly after they split up, my sister in law met someone else and has been with him since,
For 26 years the whole family has believed they split up because my brother met someone else, who incidentally is 14 years younger.
I have no major issues with my brothers new wife, we see very little of her and she does not show much interest in our family or my brothers children or grandchildren.
My mum died in February and now my brother has called me to say that 26 years ago when he was working away that my sister in law called him to say that she had met someone else. He says this made him very angry and when he went back to the family home that he did not even talk to her about it, just made arrangements to leave the marriage.
I was gob smacked. I asked him why he was telling me this now, why had he let his family think that he and his second wife were the big bad wolves and allow himself to be thought badly of. It made me quite angry to think how he had abdicated from family life all this time which had an impact on me as I had to care for my very difficult mum with no help from him. Now he has told his daughter the same story. Obviously she is gob smacked too.
It certainly hasn’t made us think more fondly of him - we really don’t know where to file it after all this time and it’s not something I feel I call talk to my sister in law about

Luckygirl3 Fri 04-Nov-22 16:56:06

Very complicated! I guess all you can do is stay well out of it.

welbeck Fri 04-Nov-22 17:02:41

are you sure it's true, or his imaginings to justify his own actions, or creeping dementia even.
either way, ignore it.
good luck.

Casdon Fri 04-Nov-22 17:05:11

This is a duplicate post.
www.google.com/url?client=internal-element-cse&cx=010995057459380558086:wn3vvylhmc4&q=https://www.gransnet.com/forums/relationships/1313427-Not-sure-if-I-like-my-brother&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjvhu_6gJX7AhWNXvEDHRddDnAQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2Pz_yZX3ODOPYHfBTvPuem

silverlining48 Fri 04-Nov-22 17:06:45

Are you sure this is the truth? It’s strange he accepted all the blame if it wasn’t him who had the affair. If you want verification you will have to ask his ex wife if you are still on good terms. It could be awkward and depends on whether you feel you need to know, it’s a long time ago.

MerylStreep Fri 04-Nov-22 17:17:51

Betty25
Why post this again?

VioletSky Fri 04-Nov-22 17:28:47

I'd say the same as on your previous post

Why was "devastated" sister in law in a relationship 1 week after separation?

Why while happily in a new relationship did she continue to play victim for over 2 decades?

Why do you dislike your brotherand why are his family relationships so damaged?

2 people here obviously know the truth and you are not one of them I'm afraid

Betty25 Fri 04-Nov-22 17:37:37

Sorry, could not find original post to tag onto. (How do you find old posts) When he originally told me about what happened 26 years ago I did angst about it all for a long time . I still don’t have any plans to visit but it has taken on another chapter with his daughter, my niece being told this. She has come to me for advice on how to file it as well. Sometimes you just don’t need to know

VioletSky Fri 04-Nov-22 17:40:51

It sounds like he tried to protect his child to me from getting caught up in adult situations, especially as she lived with her mother.

He also ensured he met his financial obligations

Not seeing much to dislike here?

VioletSky Fri 04-Nov-22 17:47:55

As a child of a broken marriage, for more than 26 years my father never said a word against my mother.

My mother held onto her victim Hood for more than 26 years and often regaled me with either how bad he was or how she was still devastated they split up, even though happily married again.

When I estranged my father finally felt comfortable telling his side...

Thankfully I only ever judged him by how he treated me and he was wonderful father.

CanadianGran Fri 04-Nov-22 17:48:57

It's hard to know what is in people's minds. There are always two sides to every story, and it seems you only ever got the story from your SIL's side. Now you are hearing his side of the story and it is upsetting, obviously. But it is hard to erase 26 years worth of animosity.

I would wonder why he walked away, and most importantly, left his children and mother with little contact. I don't know that I would ever bring it up with your SIL, since you still maintain a good relationship, and whatever happened in their marriage would stay in the past.

Betty25 Fri 04-Nov-22 18:41:22

It is very confusing. I just don’t understand why he would let my parents, me, his children and all of his friends think that he was in the wrong all these years if he wasn’t. If my sister in law was having an affair which lead to their break up I don’t think my brother would have been so accommodating with money and letting us believe otherwise. My niece flatly refuses to believe him. I guess there are always 3 sides to a story.his, hers and the truth.

Wyllow3 Fri 04-Nov-22 18:52:54

Frankly, if you are close to exSiL and she is important to you in your life, I'd stay with the friendship, but avoid references to the past. there must be more between you than what happened a long time ago to be close.

...Another GN doubting what your brother has said to you, frankly. Questioning his motives, he might be on a "spoiler" mission, even if there is some truth in it, who really can know what went on so very long ago.

DollyD Fri 04-Nov-22 20:59:00

I don't believe your brother's story at all, the same as his daughter doesn't believe him.
Surely his daughter will tell her Mother what her ex husband is saying about her.

Jaxjacky Fri 04-Nov-22 21:25:38

As Casdon pointed out, is there a reason for rehashing this Betty25 after your previous exact same post?

lemsip Sat 05-Nov-22 08:00:43

you have no need to talk to your sister in law it because it's 'old news' and none of your business and she's not your sister in law as you brother in law divorced many years ago. only their offspring are related to you, not her.

FarNorth Sat 05-Nov-22 08:15:47

This is very upsetting for your niece.
If I was her, I wouldn't want to just 'file it'.
I'd want to know why he let everyone think he was the bad guy and then stayed away from his family.

You say you asked him that. What did he say?

Betty25 Sat 05-Nov-22 09:41:51

Yes probably because a. I don’t know how to find my previous post. Do you? If so can you share and b. Because it’s raised it’s head again with my lovely Niece being party to it now.

Betty25 Sat 05-Nov-22 09:44:03

He said he was happy to take the blame as ultimately it was him who left the family home with his new girlfriend. I kept saying to him that it made no sense but that was as much as I could get

FarNorth Sat 05-Nov-22 10:19:00

Here's a link to your previous post, which Casdon posted earlier.
As you say, things have changed now that your niece is involved and has discussed it with you.

www.gransnet.com/forums/relationships/1313427-Not-sure-if-I-like-my-brother

Betty25 Sat 05-Nov-22 11:10:03

Thanks but how do I find my previous posts myself

FarNorth Sat 05-Nov-22 11:15:24

There is a search button, bottom right on my phone but it doesn't work unless I first change to 'desktop site' at the bottom of the page.
There will be a search button on the laptop screen too.

You can sometimes find posts just by googling the username & Gransnet together.

Betty25 Sat 05-Nov-22 11:15:44

It’s ok - I found how to find these. You just put your name into search.

FarNorth Sat 05-Nov-22 11:16:34

smile