Gransnet forums

Relationships

Recommended ? Books on Separation at 76

(7 Posts)
OxfordGran Wed 07-Sep-22 14:14:26

Is anyone ableto recommend or suggest, books to help a lady of 76 after 52 years of abusive marriage, to come to terms with separation and reluctant divorce, please, to include practicaladvice. Thank you !

Shelflife Wed 07-Sep-22 16:52:01

OxfordGran, not in a position to advise , however I applaud your conviction and bravery. 52 years in an abusive marriage - WOW!! It will take time to adjust but I feel sure you can do it! I sincerely hope someone responds with the advice and support you need. In the meantime , be kind to yourself and I wish you a peaceful and happy future. ?

Knittingnovice Thu 08-Sep-22 07:21:11

There may not be one specific book, there may be books on divorce, abuse etc.

I don't know much about the topics but is Womens Aid any help.

crazyH Thu 08-Sep-22 14:57:53

OxfordGran - your survival is a miracle in itself - you should be the one writing that book. Glad you have made the decision to separate, hard though it may be. I hope you have plenty of support flowers

Startingover61 Thu 08-Sep-22 17:29:18

I don’t have a book to suggest, I’m afraid, but you might want to find out about the Freedom Programme. There may be sessions held in your area. Your local library could probably help with book titles. Women’s Aid and other women’s groups are another source of support. The main things to remember are: (a) the abuse was never your fault and (b) you must stand firm during the divorce. My abusive ex tried to control all aspects of the divorce - even though it was me divorcing him - but I stood my ground throughout the process. You’ll need a good support network. Some days will be tougher than others. I wish you all the best. I’ve now been divorced for 5 years. Was with my ex not far short of 30 years. I can honestly say that life is much better now.

Knittingnovice Fri 09-Sep-22 17:26:20

I think you're incredible. Life is short so I believe you won't regret this. However its a transition phase and you need to take step by step. Keep on posting here, for emotional and practical support. One question at a time.

Florencelady Tue 13-Sep-22 14:15:57

I would recommend counselling where you have support each week as you go through the process. Somewhere to offload and someone who is in your corner. All the best!
And good solicitor.